Introductions - New Members - Start Here!

Hi everyone, just wanted to say hi as I found this forum recently after searching for weeks now for a good resource to read up on issues I have been having and maybe learn from others actual experiences. Think I have been reading past posts for at least a couple hours LOL. Defiantly makes me feel like I'm not alone.

I have had frequent urination with some urge incontinence for probably a couple years now. Recently I have had some nighttime incidents which finally pushed me over the edge to see a urologist. It took a couple months to get the appt but I finally had it last week. I was super nervous but it wasn't a bad experience. After a pee in a cup type test, bladder scan, and discussing my issues for quite a while they prescribed me Toviaz. I have only been on a small dose for a week now and have not seen a change. Think they are going to up the dose if nothing changes in a couple months. I started a bladder/intake diary today for the next 3 days which I'm already over lol. but if it helps its worth it.

Anyway, hello and thanks for all the great reading so far!

@Itguy2928 Hello, and welcome! I’ve been here for years and have only heard 2-3 people say that the various OAB medications actually work.

You are not alone :)

Hi I'm Steph and I joined this forum to share my story of living with Giggle Incontinence. I want people who suffer from similar things to know you are not alone. I felt alone when I was going through it.
I had Giggle Incontinence from ages 9-18. I would laugh uncontrollably and I could not stop the urine from coming out of me. There was no way to prevent these episodes of laughing uncontrollably because it would just happen without warning. It was the worst when I was 9-10. I was put on medication but I forgot what it was. I think it helped, but after a year or so of taking it my parents and I thought I had outgrown the problem. But it came back when I was 12-13. I went back to the doctor and I don't remember what they said about it. After that it would happen occasionally. Such as in Spanish class I pronounced a word wrong and had an episode. I was so embarrassed I wished the floor would open up so I could disappear into it.
At age 9-10 I took an extra pair of pants and underwear to school in a plastic bag. When I had to change into it, the other girls in the bathroom saw I had the plastic bag and they knew why. It was very embarrassing.
Before I had Giggle Incontinence I didn't have any friends in school. I wondered why it had to happen to me, because it made my chances of making a friend go down to pretty much zero.
I have been diagnosed with high functioning autism, not sure that has anything to do with this.
If you struggle or have struggled with something like this, I want you to know that you are not alone, you are not disgusting, and you are loved. I do believe in God and I pray he will heal us and use our suffering for good.

@Stephrose Hello, and welcome to our friendly and safe forum. We won’t reject you for having Stress Incontinence; in fact, we’ll love you for it!

Have you tried a pessary? Some of my friends found it very helpful. there are literally hundreds of them to try if one doesn’t work. Have you tried Botox injections? They help me the most. How about modern medications; have you tried those? Have you had physical therapy to strengthen your Kegel muscles so you might be able to better flex your pelvic muscle to be able to hold in your urine? I found those extremely helpful.

I really feel for you; it would be hard to feel like you have to contain your laughter just so you can contain your pee. One’s laughter should flow freely and uninhibited, without fear or anxiety.

Stay in touch!

Hi all,

I saw this forum some time ago, but not until now, did I find the courage to share my story and take part in the discussion.

I read the article from @snow about tips for parents of bedwetters, and that triggered me to tell a different story. I was wetting my bed until I was in my late teens - and also had some later episodes. I could wet twice a night. Of course my parents got mad - and accused me for being difficult, lazy, drinking to much, too late to bed - all the standard stuff. It was periods with very heavy wetting - every night, and periods with somewhat less frequency. My bed was made up with a thick plastic/rubber sheet (quite noisy) and some absorbent pads under my sheets. I was not wearing diapers on a regular basis. I was extremely embarrassed by the wetting, and it was not something I wanted to talk about or accept. As the wetting was partly explained with me being lazy, there was different kind of punishment, hand washing my wet sheets, earlier bedtime and occasionally also spanking. But my real nightmare was the threat of being forced back in diapers.
Of course my wetting continued and one day I came home from school, a big pink packet of diapers was placed on my desk as I was about to do my homework. It was a complete nightmare - and I tried to resist, but I was outnumbered and out powered - and soon I was in bed with a thick diaper. I hated it - they were so thick (this was in the 70ies) and I was not offered much privacy around the diapers. So I continued to resist.
And I never accepted to wear them - but I fought with myself, because in diapers I slept better, it was so much better to wake up in a dry or almost dry bed compared to the soaked bed. But I never admitted that or accepted the diapers, because of the way they where introduced. And the humiliation I felt being forced to wear them.
As with most bedwetters - the problems (almost) disappeared and I was out of diapers for many years although I struggled with overactive bladder and in periods tried both medication and protection.
17 years ago I was diagnosed with IBD (ulcerous colitis). And during flares, my old nightmare reappeared. In bad periods with extreme diarrhea, I can go to the bathroom 30 times a day (it is hard to count). In such periods I was forced to stay home, close to the toilet to avoid embarrassing accidents. The fear of accidents also resulted in anxiety and stress. I was recommended to start wearing some protection, started with pads, but quite soon ended up in pull-ups. I was ashamed, humiliated and I felt like I carried a big sign saying that “I am diapered”, but to my pleasure, people didn’t care and most people didn’t notice it. It helped me continue to live my life as good as possible, and it reduced stress and anxiety. Basically what I feared and was so ashamed of, particularly with my childhood memories, helped me to a better quality of life.
Nowadays, I use diapers when I am flaring - it is always a challenge to pull them on the first day after a long period with now use, but the diapers are so good these days and so much more discrete than what I remember from my youth. Anyone who are complaining should try old fashioned rectangular thick “paper” diapers with plastic panties. Then you will notice that the industry has moved forward.
It took some time and courage to write my story, but I got inspired and by the forum, how openly everyone is sharing and how friendly atmosphere.
There is a lot of stigma around incontinence and diapers, so it is not easy to open up and find someone to talk to - so I am glad I have found this forum. Even if I have seen the advantages, I am still affected by my childhood and my fear of diapers - so I am working hard to accept that they are a valuable tool to improve quality of life and not there only to humiliate or punish me.
Feel free to contact me or comment - I think I have seen similar stories from other people growing up in that period. What was acceptable those days are not acceptable today. So more than abuse - I think the way of “treating” bedwetting was more a trend or a something “normal” in that period.

Hi everyone! I was passing by googling what could be causing my incontinence when I come about this link.I saw that majority are Americans here and am from Africa but I told myself it would be good to share with special people all over the world.Am turning 30 this year. My incontinence started early last year. I haven't visited a doctor yet because am afraid and I feel ashamed everytime I wakeup wet

Hello members.
Glad I found the NAFC. Thank you for the welcoming and information. I hope to find and offer support. I look forward to joining in conversation regarding my experiences with BPH OAB, urge incontinence, and bed wetting.
I personally experienced bedwetting as a kid up to early teens. Some leaking when in my 20’s and developed urge in my 40’s. I started having bedwetting incidences again in my 50’s. Mostly due to my BPH and occasional prostatitis. Now, in my 60’s I find myself wearing protection most days and nights.
As different or awkward as many people find the subject of incontinence I have found relief in the use of wearing a diaper when necessary and believe it’s better to be comfortable and get out and do the things that I like and that life has to offer. Especially at bedtime. A good nights sleep is a big plus.
Admittedly, it’s still hard to get over the stigma or wonder who might know you are wearing a diaper at night or can tell when in a public setting. I just have to remind myself that my health and comfort is important and should come first.
My wife and I are still quite fit and athletic in our early 60’s and are out and about as much as possible. Light exercise, biking, walking, hiking, hunting, and fishing are part of our lives. We travel often and I try not to let my condition hold us back. Wearing a diaper or pull-up is just part of getting dressed, preparing for bed, long days away from the house or getting on a plane.
I often wonder how many other people are experiencing what I do. My doctor who diagnosed and treats my BPH knows that I wear as well as some family and close friends.
Even after that, I can still feel weird at times.
I will say that I appreciate the higher level of studies, increasing recognition, advertising and availability of incontinence products for adults.
Thanks,
Joe

Does anyone here have incontinence caused by anxiety? I have issues when I hear running water and sometimes just the anxiety of thinking about leaking causes it. I had great success with oxybutinin for years but not anymore. I may try myrbetriq. I exercise, drink lots of water and do kegels. Wondering if biofeedback might help

@RhodahNdinda - There are many products on the market that can help you with your night time issue and keep you dry. Go see your doctor, they deal with embarrassing every day and it may be a simple fix.

Hello everyone. New guy here. My name is Mark 44 dealing with incontinence, anxiety, depression, essential tremors and other things. I currently take Wellbutrin, Lexapro, and am getting use to needing to wear protection when away from home. I have urge incontinence for sure. I am here honestly looking for support, dealing with all this along with other problems has been a real punch in the gut. I do carry a lot of shame from thing in my life. Hoping to meet people here that can understand.

@Mark0879 Wecome, I am sure you have come to the right place and will find all the support and understanding you are looking for. I have never found a better group of people to openly share these issues with and they are willing to share their experiences and what they have found to deal with things. Good luck.

Hello folks. Al here. im 57 and I been incontinent since 1999.I have learned not to be ashamed of it. That is one of the hardest things to over come for a lot of people. Life is to short to worry about it. Im an out doors person. I enjoy hunting hiking and camping. As well as target shooting and collecting different stones i find. Thanks Al.

Hi everyone. Glad there is a group for this.
I just had a prostatectomy four weeks ago and a few days ago they removed my catheter and found myself incontinent. Not a surprise since I read about it and was warned by the docs. Also it is not the worst case scenario since I do have some control but I do often unexepectedly dribble. I'm doing the Kegel exercises too. The question I have is that at night, when sleeping it seems worse, so is that common?
I have read that most people recover within a year so i am hopeful.
Cheers,

Hi. Good that you found the group. I cannot answer your specific question - but I am sure there are many with similar issues that will reply.

I am quite new here myself and have received a lot of valuable support and information.

@Olartismo Welcome

Typically leakage is less at night. I am a side sleeper and I would have full bladder release before waking up to go to the bathroom.

It took about 4 months for me to be able to wake up and go to the bathroom. Once I get to sleep, I sleep soundly for 3 or 4 hours.

I used North Shore Go Supreme to keep from leaking.

Based on your scenario, a Depend Pullup with boxer briefs or briefs while sleeping on a towel and/or above the sheet washable mattress protector may be enough has you continue to heal over the next few weeks to months.

Hi all!! New member here... I am 52 yo. I have had issues for probably around 25-30 yearsish. Born with a genetic brain malformation (Dandy walker variant) which caused hydrocephalus

In 2015 I was in a car accident that caused a broken ankle and compound fracture of my heel and in order to recover as best as I could I was 100% non weight bearing for 6-8 weeks... Before my accident I would wake up and go to the bathroom 2 or 3 times a night..since my accident, zero. My brain just doesnt give me the signals to get up and go so in addition to everything else I am now also a bedwetter.

"solved" that by having a mattress cover over my mattress, then a pad that stretches across my Queen size bed..then my sheet and finally another pad.. This way I only have to wash what gets "wet" and I dont have to strip my bed completely every morning.

Order my supplies from parentgiving.com and Temu (bed pads only)..

I use the dry direct pull ups and pads as an extra level of protection but like I have seen in other posts I too worry that people can "tell" I am wearing them.

I also am concerned about the smell and have a 13 gallon garbage can that I spray everytime I change the bag and sometimes during the week..

My husband, MIL (lives with us) and three children all are aware of my issues and now my grandaughter who is 4 has started to notice. Which I am concerned about

Hi Iw2l200pds,
may I suggest that if your concern is only about your granddaughter knowing, I think you may find that at such an early age, when someone learns of this kind of problem in others, they will more readily accept that it does happen at any age/stage in life. If this helps to lessen the stigma for others, that of course is a good thing- but even better, is the fact that it may serve to develop compassion and empathy as characteristics in her personality. Yes, she will see you as less than perfect, but that's a lesson we all have to learn about every other person in our lives. I hope your injury heals quickly!

Hi,

My name is Dave and I'm 38. I've had bladder issues most of my life that have been made worse by developing diabetes in my early 30s. I was able to drop a lot of weight and get my diabetes under control which helped my control but it's not great. My bladder control origin story is that I had an abusive step father when I was 10 and 11 and I would hold my bladder so long out of fear to leave my room that I'd have an accident or relieve myself in a toy army helmet and dump it later. I had a urodynamics study done that showed I had an overly stretched bladder and was diagnosed at UVA with a neurogenic bladder at 18. I don't really know if that is true since I've been able to regain control at different times. I definitely have OAB and some of incontinence is surely psychological. I get very anxious if I don't wear a diaper for a long time and it ends up becoming a fixation that only ends up making an accident even more probable. It's a pretty vicious cycle. I'm happy that I finally decided to join a forum instead of just reading/lurking and I hope to meet some good people and get some support.