Introductions - New Members Start Here

Pamela said:
Happy to have found this site. My problem is I pee ALL night long. Usually every hour and twenty minutes. I'm so exhausted due to not sleeping thru. I have always gotten up once or twice a night but now it's constantly. I haven't seen a doctor or done anything for treatment. You folks are my first attempt at finding information and advice. I also cannot wait longer than 5 minutes to go pee
during the day or I will pee myself. It's the all night pee-athon that is disrupting my life. I'm 62, retired and tired. I've thought about just sleeping on the toilet! Anyone out there having this same problem? Someone suggested a post-menopausal cream. ??? Help!

Hi everyone,

My name is James and I have had steadily increasing bladder/prostate problems for about 20 years. Started with not being able to hold it anymore after a couple of beers if the hit me wrong, ended up with awful bladder pain, lots of urologists, procedures, medications, no real diagnosis and lots of pain and leaking.

Now have the choice between painful bladder or nonstop cathing to keep it empty and more comfortable.

53 years old now, otherwise in pretty good shape, and trying to find some solutions for myself.

Welcome James, you’ve joined a great forum. Sorry to hear of your challenges, it seems a common problem that diagnosis’s are difficult to come by. I wish you luck in finding a solution that works best for you.

Hello
I had prostrate removed last week...it seemed to be my best option with cancer...had some minor complications with the meds and the fact that the hospital let my diabetes get outta control after surgery....just now getting sugar under control and starting to sleep some...one major problem is the diapers...costs...filling the diapers 2-3 times when I first fall asleep...waking every two hours with diaper drenched even wetting my shirt and spilling over to the bed pad...I realize that I'm still healing and swelling is still there but I'm using diapers etc...at an alarming rate... I'm surprised that Medicare doesn't cover some of this...but I'm listening for tips...thank you

Welcome, Tatjer. The leaking that you’re describing may be due to wearing a diaper that lacks the capacity you need. I’d suggest that you try BetterDry, Confidry 24/7, or Rearz Inspire+. You will likely need to order these brands through a web site because they are not commonly carried in drugstores.

Thank you...using the less expensive Walmart brand is probably the reason... I'll look for something online...

Walmart brand is okay. If they don’t work as well as you need try putting a poise pad in the center or pick up a pack of boosters at northshore website. They are great and so are the xl capacity insert pads. They just tape to your underwear.

@tatjer4213 Welcome.

Ask your doctor if you're a candidate for external catheters, also called condom catheters: https://www.healthline.com/health/condom-catheter

They've been working pretty much perfectly for me.

Your insurance may cover the cost, and if not, they're not all that expensive and a lot of companies are giving away free samples.

Good luck.

Hi, thanks Rick59 for the info.

I learn about the condom catheter via the internet while searching for some help on how to manage incontinence. I ask the doctor and he only told me it's up to me and I don't need any prescription to purchase one directly from a pharmacy.

I find it very strange that the doctor or the nurse does not give you any advice on what was available and the difficult part I bought the wrong size and was wasted. Later I bought another size it worked. Next is the difficulty in securing it to your leg as I experience overflow, leaking and burst in connection due to tube bending in some areas and it auto-locks the tube.

It's been two and half months after my operation and still stuck with condom catheter and going to work travelling 2 hours up and down 2 trains and a feeder bus. Just wondering how long I have to live with it as advice from government hospital is very limited and we are usually shy or embarrassed to ask any questions related to our private parts.

Rgds
TP

@peterx3t hi TP, I never got on with condom catheters myself, but there are a great group of people here and hopefully someone will be able to give you advice. Good luck with your continued recovery, cheers Phil

Hi Peter, welcome to the board.

I'm sorry your doctor wasn't more helpful with this --- seems like the least he or she could have done was measure you for the right size.

I had trouble with the tube bending at first also, but I've found that securing the bag just above the calf and down at the ankle (instead of at the thigh and knee as the nurse suggested) helps keep it from getting kinked. Also, the tube may be too long in which case you should be able to trim some off. Just make sure you'll be able to reconnect the valve if you do trim it, and only trim off an inch at a time until you feel the length is right and will work.

You also might want to start using a bigger bag. The 500 ml bag they gave me at he hospital wasn't big enough so now I'm using a 600 ml bag.

I try to check and empty the bag every chance I get, especially after drinking coffee. Even if the bag is only a quarter full, I've found that it's a good idea to empty it when is convenient in case I forget later ( which I have a couple of times to my regret).

One major recommendation I would make is, once you find a brand that works for you, try shopping for it online.

I've found prices to be about half what they cost in a store, and also a lot of companies are giving away free samples. Also check and see if your insurance will cover the cost. I was pleasantly surprised to find that mine does.

Good luck, @peterx3t

Hi Peter,
I’m Jim and welcome to our home away from home😊. I used various condom catheters for years and found a couple tricks that may help. 1. Most catheters will stay adhered much better if you trim or shave the hair from the shaft and base of the penis.
2. Try using a skin prep wipe and let the skin dry before you roll the condom catheter down. Be sure to wrap your your fingers around the unrolled condom cath and let the warmth from your hand and fingers help the adhesive stick and get rid of any small air bubbles.
3. Conveen makes some amazing leg bags. They have an 800ml bag that has a thin corrugated tubing that doesn’t kink. Also has vertical chambers to prevent sloshing, and they were nice enough to put a fiber back so your skin is more comfortable. Good news, the straps button and are wider and more comfortable.
4. Conveen, Hollister, Rochester all have sizing devices to help and they should all still have sample packs. Hollister used to ship out a free new patient kit that was excellent.

Finally, there is another product out that works really well from Bioderm. It is great for short or retracted men and only connects to the tip (glans). They market it differently than before but if you use a vented leg bag instead of the pouch they do now it will work amazingly well for just about any guy. Use a vented leg bag with condom catheters. Hollister (maybe others too) used to make one the could connect online in the tubing itself.
Hope this helps. I have used allot of different ones and participated in some different studies. Takes a while to find the right combination but once you do I think you will very pleased. Hang in there. NAFC product guide is how I found all the companies to get the sample packs. (Bioderm uses hydrocoloid adhesive that is more expensive and better for skin then some adhesives). Not sure if they give free samples but definitely worth trying their product.
Hope this helps,
Jim

Hi All,

Thanks a lot for the valuable information. I am now using Conveen leg bag and I agree it's quite comfortable to use with the leg straps. The tube is strong and does not kink.

I think the condom catheter is Coloplast. Is it really necessary to replace it every 24 hours as recommended by the manufacturer?

I have tried many methods of attaching the bag and somehow manage to find a suitable method. Now to get used to the leg attachment.

Will try to find out how to order them online as the cost from the local Pharmacy is quite expensive.

How safe is Urethral Sling? The risk outways the recommendations.

Best Regards
TP

I think just for skin safety you really need to wash and dry the skin so you don’t end up with urine burn on the glans or a bacterial infection.
Just wash the bags out each day and let them soak for at least 30 minutes with white vinegar and water. Then rinse and let it air dry. They last a long time if you keep them clean.
Not sure about the urethral sling.
Hope you have an amazing rest of the week.

Peter,
Something I'd like you to consider that may be of help to both of us. An engineering partner and I have filed for international patent protection for a flexible silicone device that impedes leakage, but is comfortable enough to wear day and night. Being flexible, (to meet comfort and convenience objectives) there will be some leakage under stress conditions, such as when swinging a golf club or maybe even coughing. A backup liner would complete the "management system," however. Of our 32 volunteers from across the country testing our device, I don't believe any were already using catheters. That said, we would like to gain additional insight as to its efficacy for the catheter community. We believe our unit may be effective enough to replace catheters with just a backup liner or two, which would certainly positively impact one's lifestyle. If you, or others, would like more info before trying it out (at no cost), I would be happy to forward same upon your request. We would very much like to welcome you to the group and would appreciate your feedback. Best wishes, Duane amhelp@comcast.net

Consider replacing it as per manufacturer's recommendation. Not using the condom one, but pads are the same, just 8 hours instead. Sounds like you checked the literature - usually it's so you don't get a an infection (UTI?). Maybe the 8 or 24 hour rules are on the manufacturer's a the website, more info there.
Yeah, a lot of us figure out or discovered doctors don't give advise, sometimes nurses too. Because they don't know - it's as simple as that. Urologists are in short supply, like nurses. So are studies. If your operation was Prostratectomy, I went to "Google Science" a number of years back. That's where the legitimate science studies are - or rather, the abstracts. There weren't any studies on your question about "how long". That may have changed. Some times the full study is free on the US government website called "Pub Med"). Most of what you find on the regular Google is junk it's hard to sort it out. The advise on this site is pretty darned good - but look for other people's experience, too, as everyone's experience can vary because individuals vary. Mine was a few weeks and was very light. Then. It changed for worse after another type of operation, is getting better very slowly.
Did you do the Physical Therapy where they teach you how to do the kiegals? (I always misspell that.) It works for some.
Welcome, and good luck.