Introductions - New Members Start Here

No youre not at all!!
You are realistic and optimistic and making the best of what youve got.
It cant be all perfect sunshine but i do think it odd they wont let you talk with patients unless you are pre pay

Ron,
From your initial comments, I understand that you are successfully (completely) voiding urine from your bladder. Not doing so, of course, requires frequent and timely urges to void again, night or day. Have you tried wearing any external devices at night (or daytime) that would impede leakage and actually stop leakage, if there is not much to void (given limited intravesical pressure)? Knowing where your urge comes from is above my pay grade, but if you know the leakage is being controlled (and when you last voided), you may be able to get past the urge issue after some period of time. Fynlee

Fynlee said:
Ron,
From your initial comments, I understand that you are successfully (completely) voiding urine from your bladder. Not doing so, of course, requires frequent and timely urges to void again, night or day. Have you tried wearing any external devices at night (or daytime) that would impede leakage and actually stop leakage, if there is not much to void (given limited intravesical pressure)? Knowing where your urge comes from is above my pay grade, but if you know the leakage is being controlled (and when you last voided), you may be able to get past the urge issue after some period of time. Fynlee

Thank you for the reply Fynlee. I don't have any leakage and several ultrasounds have shown that I am completely voiding. The issue is mainly the sensation. My bladder or associated nerves seem to be ultra sensitive to even small amounts of urine entering from the kidneys sets off the cycle of urgency. Even if I were to wear a collection device I would still wake from the urgency. Doc advised not wearing a cath or external device. His concern with cath is compounding problems. He was not in favor of the external device either because he said that I'd be essentially training my system to pee in my sleep/bed and this might add another problem to what is now just a sensation. At some point these may be viable options, but for now he's saying hold off on them.

Sounds like you are saying somehow your nerves in bladder are now hypersensitive. But why what ticked them off? Apparently its not lack of control of the muscles (which is a common problem we discuss here) but heightened sensitivity of the nerves. Thats what it feels like for a woman with a unrinary tract infection a frantic urgency even when one has peed recently. I wonder if there are prescriptions for urinary tract infection pain relief that would silence the urgency. I havent had a uti for decades but i think there are otc meds for the discomfort and or prescription ones. (Sorry i am not trying to say i know snything, its just a kind of grassroots aproach to body issues).

Maymay941 said:
Sounds like you are saying somehow your nerves in bladder are now hypersensitive. But why what ticked them off? Apparently its not lack of control of the muscles (which is a common problem we discuss here) but heightened sensitivity of the nerves. Thats what it feels like for a woman with a unrinary tract infection a frantic urgency even when one has peed recently. I wonder if there are prescriptions for urinary tract infection pain relief that would silence the urgency. I have t had a uti for decades but i think there are otc meds for the discomfort and or prescription ones. (Sorry i sm not trying to say i know snything, its just a kind of grassroots aproach to body issues).

It's a mystery. We've tried antibiotics, Vesicare, Myrbetriq, Amitriptyline, and ambien for sleep. Tried regulating fluid intake and diet with little or no effect. Still taking Vesicare and Myrbetriq to help reduce urgency and frequency. They help a little. Amitriptyline is a sedative anti-spasm. At higher doses it used for depression. It was discovered that low doses can reduce bladder spasms, so that's why I take that at night with abien. I've been to a neurologist also. So, taking a variety of things with some effectiveness, but still nocturia. So it's time to seek other opinions or possibly the next level of treatments which will be invasive.

Ron, there is that rumor that doctors are just practicing... If your status is not particularly recommended, and if you actually do manage the leakage while ignoring the urge, you might find that life just got better, regardless of the theoreticals. Getting some semblance of normalcy should be your goal, however you get there. Personally, I like to try something until the wheels fall off; if they don't fall off, I get a win. Consider the downside and make a decision based on that alone...as a suggestion from the peanut gallery. Best wishes. Fynlee

@ronlecroy do keep asking questions from as many staff as possible, an individual doctor can't be expected to know everything, Phil

Maymay941 said:
Ron, remind me, is this urgency in the day as well as night?

Some urgency and frequency during the day as well. In terms of urgency and frequency, night is worse, but mostly because it awakens me. In the daytime everything is more manageable because I'm awake and going to the bathroom is not a big deal.

Two docs have performed extensive laboratory tests and diagnostics (including the dreaded cystoscope) and both said I was negative for IC. At this point they both have classified it as "idiopathic" or neurogenic bladder. In other words it's a mystery which is why they are suggesting slightly more invasive procedures as options. They both admitted that there are many bladder disorders cases in which the exact cause is not determined. At that point it comes down to treating the symptoms, unless or until a direct cause is found.

I had a friend who has IC. He got it in his thirties and it almost ruined his family life and career until he got appropriate treatment. He was in searing pain. There were times when he was almost in tears. Now his life is good, except for periodic treatments.

Any chance you can get a consult with the doctor that treats your friend? Sounds like they got his IC managed quite successfully
Doctors vary so much

@Maymay941 @ronlecroy doctors do vary a lot, also, some here in the UK don't get enough time to consider things properly. Finding out more about the one that treated your friend could be a good idea, Phil

Hi all. I've been a bedwetter all my life and by choice wore diapers because I couldn't stand a wet bed. And how long would I need to wear them because everyone said I'd grow out of it. Well I'm 53 now and I was probably 8 or 9 the last time I wore underwear to bed, been diapered every night since. Tried all types of different meds as a kid and there was never a difference. It wasn't because I was lazy and I wasn't even a deep sleeper, I just always woke up wet. Parents tried all the tricks, limited drinks during day, nothing after 6:00, waking me up in the middle of night, etc.. Day time was never great, I didn't have full wetting accidents just a lot of excess drippling after urinating. Doctors could not find anything and it wasn't because they didn't try. By High School I needed guards that mostly did the trick. For long car trips I used attends belted undergarments under my underwear. I wore a diaper when we flew a couple times for vacation. That was because when we'd just go visit relatives about three hours away in the car the undergarment was very wet when we got there. In my 20's I still needed guards. By 30 years old I was needing undergarments under my underwear all the time during the day. At age 34 I was needing adult pull-ups during the day and changing three or four times a day. I know this age because I was sent to Northwestern Hospital in Chicago where for two days they did intensive testing. Even more than my local urologist. I had already been diagnosed with High blood pressure controlled with meds. Diabetes controlled with meds. Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia. They found nothing definite but came up with I had a smaller than normal bladder for a male my age. I had low testosterone. Two "simple" cyst on one of my kidneys. There was something about spinal cord narrowing in lower lumbar and sacrum.(can't find the actual report on that part)They couldn't rule out Demyelinating disease or Lyme disease but was unlikely. There was more little insignificant stuff. They were waiting on more test results. Sent me home with like three new meds and follow-up in three months. On my follow-up appointment, nothing had changed. They took me off the meds because they were affecting my eye sight to where I needed glasses and since they weren't working anyway. (After about 10 days off the meds I was back to 20/20 vision without glasses. What a waste of money that was.) The final diagnosis was Neurogenic Bladder. I remember 34 years old because Chronic Urinary Incontinence has appeared on every medical report of mine since. Towards the end of 2017 my incontinence was at the point where I was wearing a diaper more often than pull-ups. In January of 2018 I had a stroke affecting my right side but not my speech or memory. This was the first time since I was 17, a story for a different time, that someone else had to change me. Fortunately it only lasted for 4 days, by then I was getting enough strength and coordination back in my right arm to change myself. The stroke didn't change the incontinence or make it worst. I did two months of physical therapy and occupational therapy and was back to 100% with the exception that I don't have the stamina in my right arm that I used to. Then in May of 2018, 5 months after my stroke, I became completely urinary incontinent. My Doctor, Urologist, and Neurologist could not find any reason as to why. I have not urinated in a toilet since then. And since then I wear a diaper 24/7, pull-ups no longer did the job. Reading this it looks as if I'm very unhealthy. Truthfully though my high blood pressure and diabetes are very controlled with meds. I take an aspirin a day for the stroke. And I'm only 10 to 15 pounds overweight. Physically I can do anything, I very seldom even get a back ache, and I don't even catch a cold that often. So that's why I'm here. Sorry it was so long.