Introductions - New Members Start Here

I wouldn't give up on the condom caths. Have you checked out Coloplast? They will send you some samples enough to get the hand of it.

There is a surgical device that my Uro spoke about that you operate (on off) which would be an actual fix. I think its worth checking out.

If its OAB? They have a new drug that seems to help call Myrbetriq

Dougsbc,

The three high-capacity diapers that I like best are the ComfiDry 24/7, Abena M4, and Rearz Inspire+. All three brands handle high-volume floods well. A snug fit around the legs is also crucial.

I have incontinence problems and was wondering if maybe others that are having urinary problems, could they be helped by being woken every hour or 2 hours to relieve themselves. I had a friend and his boy wet the be but it seemed like he wet the bed early after going to sleep. His dad said he played so hard duding the day that when he fell asleep his body relaxed so much he would pee pretty quick. Jerry

Sleeping two hours max won't let you sleep correctly. I would have a urologist or at least the GP sit down and figure out whats happening.

Hello. I am a new member to the community. I am in my 50's, a former therapist who was involved in clinical research but I transitioned to clinical research full time 3 years ago. My research focus was chronic spinal disability, muscle cramps and night leg cramps until now.

Briefly, I suffered from stress urinary incontinence after childbearing but then it was pretty resolved until I started the transition to menopause, but still not enough to find it problematic. In late 2015 I had a horrible bout with pneumonia following the flu (even fractured ribs due to the severe coughing) that required use of urinary pads, and then I knew I had to do something about it. As a therapist, I knew about kegels going back to the 80's and how important they are and how effective they can be. In asking many women I know between 30-80+ I was surprised to learn how many have had issues not fully resolved with kegel exercises. I learned that many people, even those who went through pelvic floor rehab with PTs, still have some incontinence. I hadn't realized that this is a silent epidemic with so much suffering by both men and women until recently. Of course you all know this, but I hadn't.

A research colleague introduced me to a now retired urogynecologist that recently moved to Boston, and he has a FDA-approved device now being studied at Mass General Hospital. Because of my interest in SUI and that of the physician I work with, we will be running a study in Cambridge, MA, beginning next month, that will run through late May focused on efficacy of this intravaginal biofeedback and training device. I'll be happy to share highlights of what I learn from the women's self-reports from using the leva device twice daily for 2 1/2 minutes. I also hope to learn from those of you on this board about your experiences, challenges and frustrations.

Thanks for having me here.

Hello,
New here, I've already jumped in and posted. Been dealing with fecal incontinence for the last 10 yrs, started in my mid 40's, just after having hemorrhoids removed. I worry constantly about having an accident when I'm out in public. I mostly stay home. I would love to find some positive feedback on Russian stim therapy.

Hello! Been suffering from fecal incomtenece for 20+ years now. Have had Medtronic Interstem device Interstem inplanted to no avail.
Accidents happened at any time - very embarrassing to say the living
Actually retired from my job earlier than 66 because of problem.
Taking Linzess for IBS-C which has helped to a degree.

Hi there, I am new here. I have a problem with infrequency and low voids following an awful sudden painful and overwhelming urgency episode in a busy town centre last summer. Was absolutely terrified I was going to have an accident. Restroom was only 3 minutes walk away but it may as well have been 300 miles that day. Could hardly move. Such pain and in a state of shock and utter dread. So how I got to the restroom before I wet myself I will never know. But I was so badly shaken up that I think it impacted on me psychologically and I've been obsessed with avoiding a similar experience ever since. So I've been watching my input and output and only going anywhere where I know there are restrooms near by, you name it. I have seen a Urologist, had bladder and kidney scans, flow and void test. All ok. So it is probably an anxiety thing but partly due to changes linked to aging too. My fears are that I can drink a litre of fluid and only void 100ml so I dread the rest of the fluid triggering another urgency episode and have been avoiding going anywhere as a result. I know our bodies use a lot of fluid but surely not the best part of a litre. Also I am then too scared to drink any more incase I end up damaging my bladder and because I am only voiding three times a day, I am scared I will stop voiding altogether! So a lot of fears. The only plus is that I always end up emptying my bladder in the early hours, sometimes as much as 700ml in one go. Anyone else had an experience like this? Thanks. BC

My daughter has the interstem for bladder. It's amazing. She's been dry every since she had it put in. The first time it didn't work, due to her not having and fat to hold the wires in place. The 2nd time it worked and she's been dry every since then. They do it for fecal incontenence as well. It's been a life saver for her. Now she's been diagnosed with ulcerative colitis .....oh well..

Hello I am new to this forum. I am glad to have found it. Reading so many people's stories (all ages, both genders, different types) makes me feel so not alone. Today I finally put away the denial and went and bought (after research) Depends Fit Flex Underwear size Xl for Women. Test running the first pair now at home. I am 60 years old, female, desk job, 5'4" 245 lbs I have stress incontinence that causes leaking when coughing or sneezing. I could manage if it was just one sneeze/cough and I knew it was coming so I could tense up. Also I make it a point to frequently empty my bladder. However, if it is ever a "surprise/sudden" sneeze/cough and/or a "series" and/or my bladder is full, forget it, once is in there is coming out. Final breaking point was that I now have acute bronchitis after a cold/sore throat and the coughing is just too unpredictable, hard, and long for those "coping mechanisms" to work. When the doctor said this might last for weeks, I knew I had to finally act. I am pleased to see that the product actually fits as I am a large gal. I put my panties over it (are you supposed to do that?) Not as uncomfortable as I thought although it reminds me of junior high days back in the 60s when I'd have to wear a bulky sanitary napkin. I'm not sure how disposal/new pair works in the work bathroom. Do I try to stuff it in the female product bin in the stall? Or try to sneak it out to throw it in the big trashbin near the sinks? Anyway I may post more

Glad you are here too!! Too many people just bury there feelings and questions and try to pretend it's not happening, it's a real problem and we all need help now and then!! I wear a tape on diaper because the pull Ins don't hold enough and the pull on style have always leaked in me and never stay in place, plus they are much more difficult to change when your out and about(taking pants off for the change). I personally don't wear underwear over the top of mine but you certainly can if it helps keep things in place. It's all a personal preference. I have always just brought it to the trash can to throw it away but as a male we don't have any other option, lol. It would be nice to have a trash in the stall though to avoid that walk of shame to the garbage. Hope all goes well for you and stay in touch!!

To all...
These problems can be so overwhelming. It's hard to keep in mind that there are others facing the same challenges, fighting the same battles, and feeling the same isolation. As many have written, there are many interventions that can either mitigate or in some cases even overcome the symptoms in certain situations.
When those interventions have been exhausted, and the need for a temporary or permanent protection system is needed... you can always write me and I will send you some samples of Abena products. We may not be everything to everyone, but we are comprised of people that are focused on delivering dignity, comfort, and independence.
With all my respect,
Ken
kne@abena.com

Hi, I am also new here and this is my first post. I'm a 61 yr old female who recently started experiencing nocturia, which of course I diagnosed myself from info on the internet. About 6 weeks ago a began to need to urinate about every hour after midnight, even though I would was careful not to drink much of anything after 6pm. So, not much urine in my bladder, but a strong urge to go that wakes me up. I pee a little and then okay for another hour. Nothing like this during the day. Being somewhat of an an insomniac, this is a real problem since I have such trouble getting back to sleep. I called my Dr.and she called in a med called Oxybutynin Chloride 5mg. Says to take 2-4 daily as needed for overactive bladder. Cannot even pronounce this one. I took 3 pills, 1 yesterday afternoon, one before bed and one at midnight. Didn't help at all. Called Pharmacist since it's Saturday, he said it may take a few days before they work. I've never had a problem like this b4 and hope these meds, or another one (there are several) end up working. I'm a late bloomer and still menopausal, mainly with continuing hot flashes. Only had 2 kids in my 20's. I will follow up in a few weeks to report weather the meds are working or not, and if I try another med. Incontinance is very annoying and I hate to think it may get worse, like many of you unfortunate people on these msg. boards. I really feel for all of you. Both of my parents wound up in diapers by their late 80's, maybe this is just the beginning for me?

Don't lose hope! Treatments get better all the time and if it is just the beggining it's good you've talked to a doctor already most don't. So you are getting a head of it and chances are by your late 80's you won't need diapers maybe a pad but I think most women need some kind of panty liner or bed younger than you are now, so you are ahead of the game

Thanks for your encouragement Britt! I don't think I mind the idea of pads and/or diapers so much, it's this middle of the night constant wake-ups that are so annoying! I appreciate your input!

Of course! I don't see diapers as a big deal either! Maybe in that case you try some sleeping meds that could put you out and just wear a pull up and if that doesn't work switch to a diaper! That's probably easier than fixing the bladder in my uneducated opinion.

Trospium 20mg twice daily got me through eight weeks of being bedridden. I restarted it a week ago being somewhat discouraged by at least two wettings a day. Two wettings in a day and I put on a diaper. That's my line in the sand. It has worked for me again. I'm so pleased. Please try it if you have not.