Introductions - New Members Start Here

You will find there are fellow veterans here also, i have yet to here anyone speak well of the VA. As i high school student i used to go to the VA and just sit with the men to bear witness and keep company. It was what a returned vet told us we could do in a lecture at school.

Boomer. Got drafted near the end of the draft ('71). Since then, met just a few who didn't cuss the VA - and they all were going to the VA for routine care, only. The pregnant wives called it "cattle call".
FDR said, near the end of his third term, I think, that one of his goals had been to reform the VA - and he considered it was the worst failure of his administration. He ended up thinking it wasn't possible.
By any chance could the real problem be traced to Congress? The citizens may thank us, but not with the VA. My wife went once. They palmed her off on the USPHS. We went with her private insurance ever after. I have a monthly donation to DAV - it ain't much, but it is what i can afford. Charity Navigator says it's a good one. They used to drive vets hundreds of miles to make a medical appointment, in Arizona. Probably still do.
Be that as it may, I'm really glad you have an alternative.

The DAV is the best outfit out there. They fought many battles with the
va on my behalf and I will always be thankful to them for that. I have met a few vets that are trying to deal with incontinence and it's hard for many of them because they feel like I did that it's very humiliating and embarrassing. I do what I can to help them accept it and get on with there lives and because I know from experience what a blow it is to your pride and ego when your young. And I tell them the only thing there going to get from the VA is some really lousy diapers That aren't worth using so go elsewhere for help.

Sort of familiar story here...I'm 77 years old with a total prostate removal in 2014. #2 radiation treatments with the last one sealing of my urethra Emergency room with urethra dialation to open. After bag removal my I was able to get control at about three weeks.
Fast forward to Feb of this year with my urethra scarring over closing me off again...emergency room visit with hospital procedure to open me back up.
Urologist while dialiating my urethra again removed three staples that were used during prostate removal.
Now incontinent ...using a clamp with ok results.
Trying to not use the clamp at night but am getting up 6 or 7 times a night to urinate. Haven't checked out with an urologist if oral medication would help.
That's my story
Seems like a useful website.

Welcome! This site really is great. Both for advice and just to chat and make friends. There is no judgement here. Check out the threads. Look for ones that might deal with issues you have. Everyone here is always happy to help

@oldager mine is a similar story. I had prostate surgery and three months later had bladder neck surgery due to scar tissue. This has been repeated two times now and I have to do dilation myself using catheters. Apart from when I drain myself using a catheter, I have very little control. Like you I am out of bed several times a night. Phil

Hi, I’m Stephanie, I’m 21 years old and I have struggled with bed wetting my whole life. Never got drugs for it I’ve really never thought of getting diapers because I thought that one day it would all just dissappear with time like it did my siblings but I’ve come to realize that it still here and it’s frustrating to have to bear the embarrassment. I’ve never been able to talk about this to anyone because they don’t understand. They just ask me questions which is kind of annoying cos I have no response I try sometimes not to think about it so I don’t get frustrated but what can I do the thought keeps coming down. I’ve been looked down on and beating even laughed at and it hasn’t been gravy these past years. Embracing it is also kind of hard as well.. it doesn’t happen all the time but sometimes it can happen for a week long and I don’t know what causes it maybe embarrassment for the first time it happened to me far from home.

Welcome, Stephanie!!
Sorry to hear of your struggles. We are all struggling with some form or another of incontinence here. The post isn’t clear, but are you wearing protection at night? There are some diapers that are very good for overnight use. I also think that having a protective sheet & pad combo to protect the bed is another part of the equation but a quality diaper is a necessary evil, in my opinion.

So very sorry you’ve had to deal with this on your own all these years!! You’ve made a healthy choice to reach out to others now though so congrats on that!! It’s a lonely tough road we have to pave for ourselves while battling incontinence and only you can find the best way to manage it and be OK with how that happens. In my experience UI is not a one size fits all diagnoses or cure we are all a little different and it’s crucial you find a physician who will listen to you and help you find the best way to manage. This site is absolutely wonderful and full of good caring people who are willing to help you!! Keep on fighting for your physical and mental health and keep us in the short list for advice.

Thank you so much. PBJ32 I have never worn protection at night but I’m going to look for adult diapers online. Any suggestions?

For an o Enright diaper, I would suggest the confidry 24/7’s or Abena’s. Northshore is also a popular product and they have a diaper called the megamax. These are all top of the line products, I use the confidry’s because in my opinion the absorb quickly and are the most comfortable. I’ve tried so many different diapers I can’t remember half the names but I know the ones I use are very dependable(there the one thing I can depend on lol)

Luckily, I don’t have heavy incontinence and I’m a Foley catheter user, nevertheless, I have to wear diapers still as I do leak on occasion even though the catheter is in. I would suggest the north shore megamax or the Abena abriform level 4, confidry 24/7 would work as well. Side sleeping can be tricky with a disposable diaper, so I recommend protecting the bed with a protective sheet AND a bed pad, I think you’ll find that you’ll sleep better when you’re protected. Again, I’m not a bedwetter, but I have dealt with bladder problems for 5 long years now. Let me know if you have any questions. You’re welcome to pm me if you want.

I'm not typically one for introductions but I think I should take a stab at one. I am 35, Male, and have been struggling with OAB, post micturation dribble and bedwetting for a few years now.i have been married for 10 years, and have three kiddos (who don't know about my bladder issues). Not sure what else I need to add, but feel free to ask, or I am sure I will eventually add to remember more later.

I have been to a few primary care physicians, and seen a few urologists without much help. I am currently looking for a local urologist who will do a cysto that doesn't want 3-4k under general anesthesia. I have been putting it off for a while. I did have a uro dynamic screening early on... probably the most uncomfortable test ever... and did not reveal anything.

@lorumipsum hi and welcome to the forum. You will find many of us here with similar issues. Feel free to pm me if you want to ask any questions off screen, cheers Phil

Hi Stephani,So sorry to hear of all the problems you've had to deal with because of this issue. Have you seen a Urologist? Hopefully they can help you in some way.I hope participating in this forum helps in some way. Good luck to you. Don't give up trying to find something or someone that can help

Newbie here. I have cauda equine syndrome of the lower spine due to an accident a few years ago. It has left me completely incontinent mostly of the bladder but some bowel function as well. It's good to meet others who understand what I am dealing with. With total loss of bladder control it is also an expensive issue to deal with. Not to mention the other struggles of doing simple things like putting socks and shoes on. It can be a real drag! Just changing myself through the day is a real task. Anyway, nice to meet everyone!

You will find goid understanding people here.
I suggest you lookmthrough old headers titled diaper that might help you to see various costs comfort and options.

Thanks Maymay I believe I will. The diapers I use work well for me. I learned really fast those in the stores are not for total incontinence. Everyone is selling items for "leaks" now. I order online from Northshore.