How to live with OAB?

@BigAlofPa My GP hadnt been responding to my calls even prior to this happening, and I hadn’t been able to find a new one that takes my insurance yet. ER seemed to be the only option at the time as I had no idea what was happening to me and was very panicked.

Ahh i can understand that. I signed up for a medicare advantage plan. This past year. An HMO at that. Dropping them at the end of the year. Found out they like to cut providers that are not part of there ''inner circle''. Going back to straight medicare. It was my pain management they dropped in sept. I been roughing it out. I see him Jan 2nd looking forward to it.

I am nearsighted and have astigmatism, so I wear eyeglasses. (I am not a good candidate for contact lenses.)
My lenses are hardening, as often happens with age, so my eyeglasses are bifocals.

I am losing my hearing in one ear, so I wear a hearing aid. I carry extra batteries, just in case I need to change the battery when I am not at home.

I have a condition called overactive bladder (OAB), so I wear protective undergarments. I carry an extra in my purse, just in case I need to change when I am not at home.

That's how I look at it.

Enough philosophy, now for some practical tips:

Except for the lightest of "drips," I haven't found menstrual pads (sanitary napkins) to be as effective as the products that are designed specifically for urinary incontinence, probably because of the differences in consistency between menstrual fluid and urine. For me, the products found in the "adult care" section of chain drugstores and next to the menstrual care products in supermarkets provide adequate protection, although I am aware from reading some of the postings on this site that they are not useful for everyone. Some catalogues that sell health care products also sell wash-and-reuse undergarments for people who have incontinence.

If you Google a medical condition (which is what OAB is) please be aware that not all sites are equally authoritative. Look for patient information from the sites of such places as Johns Hopkins, National Library of Medicine (Medline Plus) and Mayo Clinic, or use WebMD.

Welcome to the group.

@Diana Thanks so much Diana!
I hadn’t even considered how there might be a difference between how menstrual pads and actual products for urinary incontinence handle fluid. I’m currently using sanitary napkins and it feels really uncomfortable and not really absorbent, so I’ll try to find something specific for urinary incontience.
Thank you so much again :)