Miss my coffee

Archives1

Staff member
8 weeks after having prostate removed I'm still incontinent. I'm walking and doing kegels and haven't seen improvement. A post i read today suggests discontinuing soda and coffee. Anyone have a good replacement for my morning coffee? Thanks

I still leak some after 20 months. But I leaked some even before surgery. I drank coffee before and I still drink coffee after prostate removal. I like my coffee everyday and have no plans to give it up. I gave up sodas long time ago since most of that crap is made with high fructose corn syrup which my doctor said was not good for my diabetes. I recently added flavored seltzer water. First couple tasted weird but now I'm accustomed and like them. No sugar...no calories...not a bad deal. My two cents.

I miss it too. I still drink some coffee early in the day but about 1/4 what I used to drink. I haven’t found a decaf that I like so I still drink the regular kind. Hopefully someday I will be able to drink more. I’m about 12 weeks out but improving. Good luck.

canadianbaby said:
Decaf? Same taste but none of the caffeine diuretic that makes you urinate.
405fe7e2292cc63756653b3f0c8b9f14.png

9 months after robo prostate and I am just doing one decaf a week. Decaf still has some caffeine and I have found I need to retrain the system to handle it. Started with pop after 5 months just a little and now a 20 oz coke poses very few issues. Used to drink one cup full go coffee everyday but nutrition and doctor said wait let the system reset and reintroduce slowly. So after 8 months can handle a decaf get a little leaky the next day but have to decide what I want to deal with more- a coffee and leaking or no coffee no leak. The caffeine wins out once a week. I would say you probably need to go without and then let it start over. The surgery takes a while to get through trust me it took me a while to realize and listen to other people. And I am 49 and train8ng for my 4th Ironman tri so pretty good shape.

I had my surgery 7/6/20 and have just now stopped leaking on about 1/1/21. I had total prostate removal. I never gave up tea in the afternoon laced with half can of diet soda from noon until 9 pm (4 32 oz). So that's two cans of diet soda each day. I start my day with 6 cups of regular coffee every morning. For me to take out the tea and coffee would put me in a tailspin big time. I choose to force my system to deal with it. Regards, Rayl in Arizona, Keep on Keepin On!

I never drank coffee for the energy it gave me but for the taste. So I made the transition from regular coffee to decaf gradually. I bought both, mixed them and got used to that flavor-wise. And from there after about a year to solely decaf. That worked for me. By then there was moot difference. And from there I went to decaf tea and soda very infrequently. Too sweet.

ritanofsinger said:
I never drank coffee for the energy it gave me but for the taste. So I made the transition from regular coffee to decaf gradually. I bought both, mixed them and got used to that flavor-wise. And from there after about a year to solely decaf. That worked for me. By then there was moot difference. And from there I went to decaf tea and soda very infrequently. Too sweet.
3fd6152a6e4bc0560f512839ed4898e3.jpg

Have not had my prostate out,,,,, yet, but my other problems keep a vigilance on all my drs to stop my 16 oz of coffee and 1 beer before dinner. One nurse "warned" me, my Dr. didnt like it. I simply conveyed to this nurse. Ok, as soon as I leave this appointment I will start looking for a new PCP. All I heard from her was Ah ah ah ha. Then she said you do what is right for you. Nothing more was ever said.

I'm an old fart. One of the things that goes with age, they say, is you start losing sense of smell, and thus taste. I don't notice the difference in taste of Decafe, much at all, and not in espresso drinks. Remember? The early (1950s '60s) decafes were "instant". Ugh. Phew.
IF: I get local roast, not national brands. (Sorry, Hills Brothers) That may make a difference. I tend to buy the darker-stronger coffees, French Roast, and so forth. Not sure what would happen if you put more grounds in the coffee machine. Same liquid amount, more coffee flavor?

I don't drink Alcohol, Don't smoke... But I have eight ways to make coffee in my house so it is not going away anytime soon. Had to stop when I had surgery and it was like death. Never again.

I would like to think that coffee is actually addicted to me.

2130204e74b9bd91fb9dc9181b63c966.jpg

I mix regular coffee with decaf, half and half, no complaints and nobody knows it but me. My goal is to fill the empty container of regular coffee ground with decaf ground and hopefully everyone will drink it and enjoy decaf.

You could get in trouble!
Picture an old lady holding a shotgun:

Stay Away From the Coffee and No One Gets Hurt! ;)