Looking to Talk to Other Lifelong Wetters Like Me

Musing on this and my history, I feel the bottom line is that it's not that uncommon for people to have bladder/bowel issues and yet it's been made into the most embarrassing thing you can suffer from by society. There shouldn't be any shame attached to wearing protection. Thinking back, it's mad that I chose to suffer in silence for most of my life before trying out products which really helped and helped me be more confident.

Hi Jay. I know what you mean about leaks and Pampers were definitely better, but I felt humiliated as a teen to need them. I'd love to talk on the phone. My number is 917-539-3259. What's yours?

Hello Tripp,

I am 47 years old and have suffered from incontinence all my life. I have always been bedwetting more or less. Growing up about once a week, in my early twenties about once a month. Beside bed wetting i also suffered from overactive bladder. I was diagnosed as an adult with oab but looking back that was also what I suffered from as a child too. Difference though was my muscles were strong enough and I would not wet my pants that often. Yet the pain was sometimes unbearable and therefore I avoided situations where I could not go to the toilet soon.

I hardly ever joined school trips because the bus trip without a toilet was too scary. Of course I never did sleepovers or school camps. At home I slept most of the time with towels in my pants and I learnt to wash and change my bed at a young age. My parents though had their own problems and didn't recognise or care about my situation.
I was an introvert and I think for today's standard I would be considered as authistic. Relations were always difficult, especially when I reached the age where one starts dating. From my looks I was considered a catch, but always kept girls at a distance. I was even considered to be gay for not letting women get close although i got a lot of attention.

In my early twenties i wet the bed less often and my oab pain got better. I thought eventually I would get over it and my bladder issues were just something related to growing up. I met my wife, she was my first love and we got married without her knowing my previous issues. I started sleeping with towels in my pants again just to be sure. Things got worse in my mid thirties. Nighttime as well as daytime incontinence worsened and after multiple humiliating situations in public I had to seek help and started using diapers. Obviously my wife knew at that moment. She was and is supportive, yet is also kind of disgusted by it.

I am diagnosed with Overactive bladder, Interstitial Cystitis, Chronic bladder infection and Functional Neurological Disorder.
There is a lot to tell and I can't put 47 years of incontinence into one message. Would love to hear more about your story.

@Eden98 Hey, I've recently been diagnosed with FND? Has anything helped with the symptoms and bladder control?

@Sci_Fi_Fan Hi,the diagnosis wasn't primary for my incontinence. About 2 years ago I started having tremors and loss of muscle strength, which made walking difficult and painful.But it is clear my bladder and bowel muscles are also affected. Yet FND is not very known, at least not where I live and treatment is only focused on preserving what is still possible.

Our experience growing up is much the same ( i just realise by now. I didn't read your comment but I should have ) and I wonder how that is related to FND. I am curious what your symptoms are and if there are other treatment methods in England. I would like to hear more about it. If you want you can send a pm.

@Eden98 Thanks for clarifying, In terms of my symptoms I have muscle weakness which is worse down my right side, cognitive impairment, muscle spasms and worsened bladder and bowel incontinence - whilst I have had lifelong issues, it's like I've had no control since the Long Covid/FND. Have to use a wheelchair due to the physical issues.

Hoping to get some physio relatively soon.

I have never been out of diapers full time my entire life. Just before my 9th birthday I was pretty reliably out of day diapers still in them at night. My mom and Grandma diapered me up until just about college, grandma insisted on cloth and plastic pants, my mom used disposables when she could. My Sophomore year in college the day time control went totally over a three week period. I am 49 now and in Diapers full time disposables mostly, just in the last 7 months I. Have had three back surgeries and diagnosed with MS. The MS was probably an issue going back to college and the pain I always had and then the day time control gone again explained a lot to my Dr now.