Living with the title Bedwetter

Hi JT, I think opening up about it does take some practice and I'm not surprised that you haven't told the doctor yet. Men, such as myself, are well-known for holding back on information at all costs! After all it's not information that everybody wants to share with every Tom, Dick and Harry! If you're thinking of telling a doctor, maybe do the old practice your speech in front of a mirror bit, or even pretend your wife is the doctor and practice with her.
But it sounds like you haven't been to that doctor for very long. Do you get the impression he takes his time with patients and is thorough, or does he just rush through, say, "Turn your head and cough. Okay, You're fine! See you in six months."
I think some forms you fill out may have a section entitled bladder or urinary. If not there is a section on the forms that may say "other concerns," or something like that.
But let's see how can you best broach the subject with the doctor? Maybe just say, "I've have had bedwetting issues off and on for years but only recently has that bothered me, much more than in the past. I want to see what I can do about it." And then just innocently say, "Do you think it would be a good idea to see a urologist?" Or get the doctor more involved and ask, "If someone in your family were having that type of issue, who would you send them to?"
Assuming the doctor gives any kind of a reasonable answer, you can add, "Do you think I would benefit by meeting this doctor?"
So those are just a few thoughts. I hoop they make sense. Do know doctors hear this all the time and nothing should surprise them. They may have been surprised by things in med school or during internship but now they are out in practice they "have seen and heard it all!"

@snow Good point. I haven't had any other issues or concerns urological or other and my infrequent bedwetting has been about the same for years now. So while I doubt there is any cancer, I do know that it is a sneaky thing that can show up anytime.

@billliveshere I hear where you are coming from. Little back story I have not had a doctor since I was like 5. I've been very fortunate in having pretty good health. The school nurse and health department was all I really needed. As an adult until this year I'd joke that my doctor was who ever was on call at urgent care. I still have my tonsils and appendix and have never had any surgery other than three of my wisdom teeth taken out. Now I've had things in he past, but very minor things like a broken collar bone (twice) but it didn't need resetting so just a collar bone strap and sling for my arm for 6-8 weeks. A pitchfork through my knee as a kid, but it totally missed everything and was only a flesh wound that went in a few inches (I know I got real luck on that). I only got a doctor at the urging of my wife and some other friends who thought it strange, and crazy, that I am in my 40s and do not have a primary care doctor. I figure before things do start to happened due to age I better get a good base line on my health with a doctor.

I really like my doctor. He was recommend by a friend and I found out latter that several other friends have him too. For the initial visit he was welcoming and had a good personality. Definitely wasn't a see for a few minutes and bye until next time type of guy. I don't remember any section about bladder or urinary questions but there was the any concerns section. I did think about putting down my bedwetting but decided to see if it came up during the initial visit first. I think I also was withholding to check out the doctor before I told him too much. Weird thinking I know.

Also since my bedwetting pattern has been about the same for quite a while now it doesn't really bother me as in causing me concerns. Back when it started and I realized that it was not just a one time accident and then in college and after as I started my life in the work place it did concern me and bother me due to the increased frequency from time to time during those years. It concerned me enough that I called one of those companies that works with bedwetting exclusively for a consult. But now it is not much of a bother or concern. However I think I will take yours and @snow advice and bring it up next time I see the doctor. Taking the approach, Doctor I have had this bedwetting issue for years now and while I have a good system for managing it and it isn't a big concern of mine right now I wanted to let you know. And see where it goes from there.

Thanks all for the advice and support.

JT

I LOVE being a bed wetter! I get great sleep, night after night. I have Urge Incontinence and can't get to the bathroom on time. I was wetting two or three jammie bottoms every night and constantly waking up to try to race to the bathroom, peeing all the way! Then I'd clean my bottom, dry it off, find clean jammies, etc. See what I mean? Interrupted sleep! I finally gave in to it 10 years ago and started wearing diapers every night. After several weeks, my body learned to relax my urethral sphincters at night, so when I had the sudden urges, I immediately released pee, so the considerable pain and anxiety went away Eventually, I started wetting in my sleep. My FitBit tracks my sleep and confirms it is excellent!

Of all the horrible things that can happen to a person, trust me it is the least worst!

@Jaytee It's never too late to bring something up with a doctor and your proposed approach is basically what I said to the doctor when I made an appointment about my after dribble issue. I imagine many people put off seeing doctors for chronic embarrassing issues so they're used to it.

I'll echo the comments that it's probably worth getting looked at. My after dribble, urge issues and IBS flare ups were just relatively minor chronic background annoyances once I started using protection but with my other physical stuff flaring up, I wish I'd seen a doctor sooner about my bladder and bowel issues as they could be linked.

@Bedwetter I wear diapers at night and I have for five years but I still wake up to pee every 5-60 minutes. And I still wet the bed. Diapers don’t solve everything for everyone.

Neurogenic Bladder. I fell down a cliff and severed most of the nerves between my bladder and my brain. I can’t feel 1/4 of my torso. Worst of all, I severed the nerve that notices when I’m horizontal and tells my kidneys to decrease urine production. I actually pee twice as much in volume during the night as during the day. I wake up with painful urges. I’ve barely slept in five years. I’ve had chronic insomnia since age four so I could barely sleep anyway, before the cliff fall.

I’m really surprised that just because wearing diapers at night solved your problems, that you think it will solve everyone else’s problems. There are many, many causes of, and solutions for, incontinence.

You should know that sleep doctors do not care about “smart” technology apps, watches, or phones. You have no idea how well you’re actually sleeping unless you have electrodes connected to your brain and your heart in an actual sleep study at a medical sleep center. Sleep trackers have actually been shown to lead to less sleep.

Hi JT. Bit late here as I had a rushed afternoon with a fairly long cleaning session at TLNC. Eileen was having a time worrying about her computer and the board meeting coming up on Monday. Of course I discussed it with her, but better late than never!
I'm glad you have a good rapport with that new doctor. From what you say it sounds like he is approachable and should be open to a dialogue about your situation. I'd say go for it at the first good opportunity! Take good advantage of the situation.
And guess what? Your holding back the info while you check out the doctor before saying too much isn't weird at all! Hells bells, it sounds like something I would do! :):):) So am I weird? :D Okay you don't need to answer that!
And your telling the doctor you have a good system of managing it is also valid. That may be a good plan as well. If he suggests a urologist, use that "if someone in your family had this issue where would you send them?" That way he won't just be looking in the phone book for a urologist. You want one that the doctor trusts for his family.
Since you are interested in getting a baseline for your general health (and I think you're making a smart move) I hate to tell you this, but as you get older all sorts of interesting things creep up. Take me for instance! (actually we'll save that for later).
Oh, and one more thing....If a PSA test is mentioned, do it. My readings are fairly low, thankfully! Anything around a 1 point something is good. If it's around 3 point something, not so good. You will be referred to a urologist for further testing. In other words the lower your number the better!

Snow.. Have you tried using a foley catheter and a leg bag at night? It would keep your bladder drained and you would not wake up all night with painful urges... I can't imagine not being able to sleep good for five years! Yikes!!

JT... Yes, the "Lab work" doesn't always show the cause for bedwetting... I had blood work done, PSA test, the "Bend over and sing Moon River" test, bladder ultrasound, and finally, a CT scan... Nothing was found to cause my bedwetting and urge incontinence. Sometimes, it's just genetic, family history thing.
(That's what the doc assumes in my case.)

But you definitely want to keep up with regular doctor visits and physicals as you get older. I have / had several friends who didn't, and didn't make to their 60's. There's a lot of diseases that can be cured, IF caught early. (Like colon cancer, for instance... 2 friends died of that.) The way I look at it, none of us are getting out of here alive, but I'm gonna do everything I can to stall the Grim Reaper as long as I can.

Sorry if I offended you Snow. I would never presume that my situation is like anyone else's. Just wanted to share.

@MikeD9876 I haven’t slept good my whole life!

I haven’t tried a foley because my urologist says I’m “too young for it.” He did suggest I take Desmopressin at night. I guess I should try it. But it scares me because I already take a bunch of medications that mess with my kidneys, and diabetes runs in every direction in my family (I’m basically the only one who doesn’t have it - yet). So I’ve avoided Desmopressin because it’s particularly hard on your kidneys. It’s not made to be taken during sleep, when cells needs water to purge waste. It’s made to be taken during the day. Desmopressin decreases kidney function and water availability, so cells pile up with waste. But not sleeping well is worse for the lifespan (and life itself) than smoking cigarettes. Next time I’ll see the urologist, I’ll ask to try it though. Pick your poison.

Since I can barely sleep, it’s unlikely I’d be able to sleep with a bag on my leg. Sounds very uncomfortable. So do UTIs that come with catheters.

Snow,
Re: wearing a Foley There are also night bags that hook on your bed or you can put them on the floor. You can sleep with a Belly Bag on, and I did for years with no complications. I think I read about someone on here who did have trouble with one, however. I'm sure everyone's experience is different.

Have you ever tried Melatonin for sleep? Also there are a lot of CBD products on the market now. Another option is meditation. Sometimes I fall asleep using guided meditations on a Pod Cast on my phone.

The next time you go to the DR, you should mention your sleep situation and maybe he or she can suggest something to help you. I couldn't sleep for years, but now I finally can and believe me, I know how horrible sleep-deprivation is.

Your Dr probably thinks you are too young to wear a Foley catheter full time, but if you just wear it at night, you'll have a smaller chance of infection and in most cases, you will not feel the URGE pains at all. Your bladder will simply drain without you feeling anything. I alternate Foleys with diapers, depending on my daily schedule. I wear a Foley to Yoga class with a Belly Bag, or when I want to wear cute, fitted clothes. The Belly Bag is by far the best way to be comfortable, and with a pair of tight underwear over it, very easy to hide. I literally forget I am catheterized. I wear diapers when I have baggy clothes on or am just working around the house. The Foley also gives your skin a break from the wetness.

I highly recommend the drug called Amytriptyline and it really helps to have a good night sleep while connected to a Foley and night bag. I have done this for some years now and both are really helpful for Nocturia.

Hi @snow, from reading the past few posts here, it may be good to explore with your doctor(s) the possibility of wearing a catheter at night. I saw some pretty good arguments here in favor of that and it could be a possibility, at least to help you get some sort of normal sleep. Just find out if doing the catheter at night would be appropriate for your particular situation. If it were me, I'd be very tempted at this point to see if it's a possibility.:)

@laalaauk Who prescribes the Amytriptyline for you, you primary care physician, your urologist, or a psychiatrist? Here in the U.S., only psychiatrists prescribe sleep meds. I took Amytriptyline once (gift from a friend) and slept great. I see my psychiatrist on Monday so I’ll bring it up. Amytriptyline really helped my granddad at the end of his life. He was a curmudgeon without Amytriptyline. It’s too bad he didn’t live longer after starting that medication.

I currently take Trazadone and Gabapentin, which give me nightmares and don’t keep me asleep through the urge to pee. I’m certainly willing to try Amytriptyline. So far, Ambien is the only drug that actually gets me 4-6 hours of continuous sleep. Fortunately, I don’t need to increase my dose on that and I don’t have any side effects except superb sleep. I’ve taken it for 17 years. Unfortunately, it’s currently very much over-regulated here. For instance, for 12 years I was prescribed 10mg #60 each month, and slept great! Now I only get #5 per month, which really sucks. My favorite psychiatrist retired five years ago - very traumatic for me, actually - and nobody since has been particularly willing to help me with sleep. Very few providers believe in chronic insomnia, and even fewer actually care - even when you have a sleep test to prove how often you awake to pee!

Does Amytriptyline continue to help you sleep without you having to increase the dose over time? Have you experienced any side effects from it?

I should take Amytriptyline because my name is Amy! Could anything be more obvious?! It’s *my* drug! - LOL!

My mum is from Peterborough (in the midlands, Cambridgeshire) in your part of the world! I have more rellies over there than I do here! I really miss them. My family here is unbelievably tiny: one aunt, one uncle, one cousin, my parents, and my estranged brother. I have about 10 rellies near Snowdonia and Anglesey in Wales. I love the UK. I’ve spent several months there, accumulatively, over my life. I sleep soooooooo good when I’m there - funny, eh? Every Sunday night, I have dinner with my parents and we watch BBC shows on our channel here (PBS). Tonight we’ll finish the most recent season of “Endeavor.”

I wish you a lovely evening and a good night of sleep tonight!

@snow : I take Cymbalta for Depression and Gabapentin (600mg/3x a day) for PTSD. The Gabapentin calms me down from episodes and actually destresses my nerves which typically contribute to daytime urge and frequency - which luckily is non problematic.

@Bedwetter Thank you for your post. Yes, I took melatonin for years when I completed intensive sleep therapy with psychologists at a sleep center. I took 0.5mg-10mg. It affected me zero, except to give me fragmented sleep, which it does to everyone, wether you notice or not. It also causes dementia later in life, just like Ambien and benzodiazepines do. Ambien works best for me (see my post directly above this one).

Real CBD is still illegal here in UT. There’s fake stuff here, which does nothing. I’ve tried it in CA, though - gummies, several times. Just gave me horrid nightmares, didn’t stop me from waking up to pee. Marijuana makes me anxious. I can’t stand it. It’s my least favorite drug of legal, or illegal, drugs.

Diphenhydramine - the ingredient in all the OTC medications - makes me hyper. I have ADHD, so most consciousness-altering medications have an opposite effect on me. Adderall would make most people hyper and buzzy; it calms me down.

I’m trained in Transcendental Meditation (TM) and practiced it daily for two years; it did nothing for me but make me bored and fidgety, so my anxiety increased. I successfully use, and appreciate, the principles of Mindfulness Meditation (a.k.a. “The Power of Now”) countless times throughout each day and I benefit from those concepts. But sitting around doing nothing (like during meditation) is hell for someone with ADHD. If I watch T.V., I have to also be doing several other things at once to be able to sit there. I am unbelievably physically fidgety.

The best practice for me is meditation through physical movement, also known as YOGA! Oh, how I love yoga! I used to do Hatha or Vinyasa at least once a day, for 15 years. Then I fell down the cliff and demolished all of the disc material in my lumbar spine. Now I’m supposed to bend and twist as little as possible, for the rest of my life. There is basically no yoga that doesn’t involve bending and/or twisting of the lumbar spine.

A few weeks ago, I had my 18th surgery in five years (!!! stop and think about that!), this time open-knee surgery. The past five years have been one lonnnggggg recovery, from falling down a cliff, to five surgeries for a 3rd-degree burn 8”x8” on my ass, a fractured pelvis, surgery to remove a benign breast tumor, five surgeries (eventually a hysterectomy) for cervical cancer, five surgeries for melanoma on my arm, toenail surgery, two knee surgeries.

I had those two cancers simultaneously and they both took two years to get rid of. Now I’m 1.7 years free of cancer, 3.3 more years to go until I get the 5-years-free real clean bill of health.

So there’s been little yoga in my life in the past five years, which has been soul-crushing, because I really need it now more than ever. There won’t be much yoga in my future. I still snowboard, which is very meditative for me, but I can’t do it like I used to. Conquering the fear I now have of it after falling down the cliff, coupled with wearing wet diapers outside in a snowstorm, combined with severe back pain exacerbates is... A LOT. It’s just not that fun for me any more. Fortunately I have a full scholarship with Wasatch Adaptive Sports who help me get back to my sports. I do still love to ski and snowboard. I love snow sooooo much!

Eventually I’ll find some other activity that can do for me what fast snowboarding through deep powder at great speeds, or Vinyasa 3-4 yoga, can do for my spirit.

ADHD really is a super-power because I excel at complex multi-tasking and hyper-focus, which suits my overachieving nature very well. No regrets there! But it’s also really hard. My mind races, races, races. I’m always having conversations with 10 people in my head - future conversations. They don’t stop unless I’m in an extreme adrenaline, dopamine-fueled activity, usually involving steep terrain, where literally, one misstep would mean the end of my life. In those moments, I am so utterly, fully present, effortlessly - which is why I survive those very moments, and why they make me feel high (and literally, I usually am, high up on some mountain, in those “high” moments). For our honeymoon, my ex-husband and I climbed Denali in Alaska - that’s my idea of a good time.

I love backpacking (for months at a time, even), rock climbing, ice climbing, rappelling into glaciers and waterfalls, etc. My profession is filmmaking, a very physically demanding job with high stakes. Most people’s work isn’t seen and discussed by hundreds of millions, sometimes billions, of viewers; mine is.

You get my point. The common thread in my life is GO GO GO GO GO GO GO, fast fast, fast. I am sooooo not into sleep; it’s such a waste of time!

Most people who don’t have ADHD don’t even believe it’s real. It’s very real. You can’t begin to imagine the physical restlessness and anxiety. And there’s no Yoda mind-trick you can do to annihilate ADHD. One can certainly strive to learn to manage its symptoms. I’ve been in psychotherapy for most years of my life since I was 16 years old. I work very actively to manage it, as evidenced by my plethora of explorations with meditation, yoga, medications, sleep center cognitive-behavioral therapy, and counseling.

Until I hit 35, I slept 3-4 hours per night and won at everything. But now I’m damaged and need sleep like everyone else. I hate it. Needing sleep is a nightly nightmare for me. I’ve dreaded bedtime since I can remember. My parents first caught me staying up all night when I was four years old, and would sneak outside to watch airplanes fly overhead (I later went to flight school concurrently with film school). My sleep problems are deeeeeeepppp in my spirit and probably will be, for life.

And that was all before I had to piss all night long! So now it’s even worse! Even after five years, I’m still in shock that’s possible!

Next time I see my urologist, I’ll ask him again about a Foley catheter. Last time he refused to even talk about it because I’m “too young.” I’m willing to try it. He’s about to retire, so soon I’ll soon have a new urologist to consult.

I’m definitely a side-sleeper (I have to be, because of the damage in my lumbar spine), and Foleys leak for side-sleepers. Still, I’d try it.

Thanks for everyone’s suggestions! Good to know about all the options!