Incontinence After Prostatectomy Surgery

I walked a lot tried to hold as I did got soaked, but did it anyway, saw improvement, kept going. It takes unbelievable patience, cut out caffeine, carbonated drinks. Kelp your head up, it sucks, but hopefully you will overcome.

@Anzivino

Pelvic Floor exercises are supposed to help, here is something I've found. Takes a bit to think you're doing them right, I'm sure it's a lot easier when you're younger.

I'm 67, 6 weeks after surgery, 5 weeks after catheter removal. My leakage depends on what I do. Walking right now isn't too bad, but I could get a pad wet enough after 1-1/2 miles that I want to change it. Sitting down, no problem. Getting up from a chair, it is getting better, but slowly. I worked on my motorcycle, just changing the oil yesterday and it was pretty messy getting up and down off the floor. I do kegels usually when I'm using the toilet, but I'm not doing too many of them, about what is recommended. They say you can do too many, but who know. I think it's a mind over matter thing, I try to be ready to catch myself with sudden movements and times I know I have leaked in the past. I'm expecting this to go on for at least the next couple of months.

I want to get back on the motorcycle but the area where my prostate was is still a little sore, that's another issue for me. But I'm impatient and that's the most important thing.

Good luck

I will be 73yrs. Old next week. I had a combined prostatectomy/diverticulotomy over 3yrs.ago. I was told that incontinence could get worse after surgery. I weighed all the possibilities, and decided to get rid of the cancer. So far,my PSA is negligible. If my incontinence requires me to wear diapers, or some protection I'm okay with it. I am now dealing with heart problems. Incontinence is not a big deal in comparison.

Well it’s been a long road recovering. My advice to everyone is to stay positive. Most people don’t get better over night. I went from wearing 5-6 pads a day to 2-3 shields a day, to 7 months removed from surgery and now wearing nothing at all. Still leak drops when I sneeze or other stress related actions. But so nice to sleep in just underwear. Hope everyone remember it’s about getting rid of the cancer. The rest just have patience

I am 65 years old. 13 months out from radical prostatectomy. I am a working dentist and wear DEPENDS.
Some days at work (8-5) I can go thru 10 DEPENDS. Some are soaked, some not so bad. Just change DEPENDS because I can and always feels better.I have seen improvement over time for sure but want to get better.
1) coffee and carbonated soda occasionally (you gotta live!)
2) Moderate kegel compliance
3) walk 4 miles 3x per week
My doctor can't believe that I go thru 10 DEPENDS a day. Of course, not scientific number as the variables are....how wet are they when I change?, how much of water, coffee am I drinking during the day.
how strenuous the work day is etc....
If I purposely dehydrate myself of course go thru less DEPENDS but dehydration is not the goal.
So, and maybe not correct thread to mention this...but
has anyone tried medications to control bladder?
has anyone had surgery ( sling etc)?
my doctor recommended a penis clip sold on AMAZON but I don't think I want to go that route.
Yes, I am lucky my cancer is gone, no radiation, no chemo....I guess I want it all....i.e. non-leakage or minimal leakage the rest of my life...........My internal medicine doctor said that it may take up to 2 years to get maximum improvement...Thoughts? Comments ? Advise...glad I found this forum.

I tried one of those clamps soon after surgery (Aug 2019). I expected it to stop leakage...it didn't. That and the fiddling to install. It lasted a couple days for me and I never used it again. Maybe I expected too much. So I just plugged along using diapers and pads. Gained 10 pounds. Did some walking. Down in the dumps mentally. Then in Dec I got back on my stationary bike. Prior to surgery I rode 4 to 5 days a week. Getting back was rough and leakage was a problem. I kept at it and by Feb I was back to pre-surgery pedaling. But no weight loss. So at the end of Feb I decided to pedal everyday. Finally started losing weight. I stopped using diapers and men's pads in May. Back to underwear and much smaller female pads. Leakage is much reduced but still there. So I'm back to pre-surgery weight...and plan to continue losing more. Riding everyday, still. My attitude is mostly positive now. My PSA is still undetectable which helps a lot. It takes time.

marvin59 said:
I am 65 years old. 13 months out from radical prostatectomy. I am a working dentist and wear DEPENDS.
Some days at work (8-5) I can go thru 10 DEPENDS. Some are soaked, some not so bad. Just change DEPENDS because I can and always feels better.I have seen improvement over time for sure but want to get better.
1) coffee and carbonated soda occasionally (you gotta live!)
2) Moderate kegel compliance
3) walk 4 miles 3x per week
My doctor can't believe that I go thru 10 DEPENDS a day. Of course, not scientific number as the variables are....how wet are they when I change?, how much of water, coffee am I drinking during the day.
how strenuous the work day is etc....
If I purposely dehydrate myself of course go thru less DEPENDS but dehydration is not the goal.
So, and maybe not correct thread to mention this...but
has anyone tried medications to control bladder?
has anyone had surgery ( sling etc)?
my doctor recommended a penis clip sold on AMAZON but I don't think I want to go that route.
Yes, I am lucky my cancer is gone, no radiation, no chemo....I guess I want it all....i.e. non-leakage or minimal leakage the rest of my life...........My internal medicine doctor said that it may take up to 2 years to get maximum improvement...Thoughts? Comments ? Advise...glad I found this forum.
56vw said:
I tried one of those clamps soon after surgery (Aug 2019). I expected it to stop leakage...it didn't. That and the fiddling to install. It lasted a couple days for me and I never used it again. Maybe I expected too much. So I just plugged along using diapers and pads. Gained 10 pounds. Did some walking. Down in the dumps mentally. Then in Dec I got back on my stationary bike. Prior to surgery I rode 4 to 5 days a week. Getting back was rough and leakage was a problem. I kept at it and by Feb I was back to pre-surgery pedaling. But no weight loss. So at the end of Feb I decided to pedal everyday. Finally started losing weight. I stopped using diapers and men's pads in May. Back to underwear and much smaller female pads. Leakage is much reduced but still there. So I'm back to pre-surgery weight...and plan to continue losing more. Riding everyday, still. My attitude is mostly positive now. My PSA is still undetectable which helps a lot. It takes time.
56vw said:

56vw thanks for input... my surgeon did mention I gained weight since surgery
So...
lose some weight..
I walk a fast mile for walking...but only 3 days a week
Diet and more intense exercise for the CURE!
I believe it!!!!

I vary my exercise intensity. I listen to my body. On a good day, I push. But it is ok to have average days or off days. Last night I ran out of gas so I cut off early. Tonight I'll go again. Diet is a tough concept. I started pushing away from the table. Eating same foods, just less. This ebbs and flows like exercise. There are good days and bad. I'm also a diabetic so losing weight and exercise helps maintain my blood sugar. Makes a big difference. I'd encourage you to go walking more often. Work up to daily if possible. Many benefits. Thanks for reading and commenting on my post.

Thought I would give an update and ask how everyone compares. So it's been almost 11 weeks since the surgery and 10 weeks since the catheter removal. I am doing better, probably down to 2-3 pads per day. Maybe don't even need that many, but when they feel wet I like to switch them out. I'm mostly dry at night but still wear something just in case. During the day its more like squirts and dribbles that I can't control completely. If I feel one coming on I can usually catch it, but some get through the radar and I never felt them coming.

I've been walking about 2 miles a day for at least 5 days a week. During the walk I try to exercise the pelvic floor muscles, but I'm not really sure how successful that has been, I think the walking is helping me more. To me until your mind is fast enough to control that external sphincter, the leakage will not go completely away. I think I'm doing pretty good for this period of time, but like everyone else dryness can't come fast enough for me.

I'm curious if this dribble and squirt period signals the beginning of the and of incontinence. I would appreciate anyone who has already passed that milestone to chime in.

At week 10-12 I switched to a small shield while at work and nothing at home. I would have an occasional "leak" when standing or lifting. At 14 weeks I stopped wearing the shield, I was sweating more than leaking. Sounds like you are about there.

Bgharvey Again we are close to same surgery times and you were worried about radiation. How is that going? I had my first psa and it was undetectable. That was a good feeling. Dr.sad no radiation until it is necessary.Again glade to hear.Next psa in October.Dr said if you do radiation before continence comes back you will never be continent.
Sounds like you are doing a bit better than me with incontinence issue.Way to go! I go through about 5 a day combo of pads and diapers.Some times it feels like it never get better but I know it has, just slow progress for me.Nice to be able to compare recovery notes.

I dont have a PSA test until late July,then a virtual appointment with my surgeon onAug 10th. Hopefully I'm continent by then. I'll be sure to post.

Hi Guys,I am 65 and was diagnosed December and had my Robotic Surgery on 29 March 2020. I got an infection from the catheter and had to have it in for 5 weeks which was a very painful experience. The pain while urinating was excruciating and I was screaming on the toilet. Anyway it has been 3.5 months and I must say I have only ever gone through 1 pad a day. On occasion 2 depending on how active I have been that day. However there is no cancer left and my PSA is zero so yes I am thankful we got it early. The constant leaking I must admit is tiresome and getting me down. I do my exercises every day driving into work and coming home. I cannot understand why it takes so long to regain control. Does anyone know why?

Hello all, newbie here. Had robotic surgery June 11th. Gleason score 7. Went very well according to doc and good pathology all things considered. From the get go, able to stay dry all night although I get up 2 or 3 times to empty. I can stay pretty dry until around noon, but then as I find myself more active I start dripping and squirting, by the evening I’ve gone through about 4 pretty soaked pads. 5 weeks out and don’t see a change. Is this normal? Doing my kegals although not sure they’re quite right. Love my coffee that may be an issue. I’m 59 and a bit bummed! Advice?

@JoeEdmons, As I understand it, the longed the cat H is in usually the worse the incontinence, so I think you are doing very well with one pad. I started with 2 depends, then several pads, then shield, now dry. I walked a lot, leaked, but tried to hold it and was dry in about 12 weeks. I just had 8 month checkup, PSA undetectable, I'm a little younger at 61. Cancer free is the 1st goal dryness the 2nd, patience is your friend.

Staying dry at night sounds good. Dripping and squirting later in the day sounds normal. I had a similar experience. It seems the muscle gets tired as the day goes on and can't control the bladder as well. Your 5 weeks from surgery so I wouldn't be concerned. Keep doing the kegals. You should see the dripping and squirting decrease over time. This change was subtle for me, but it did come. I'll be 1 year in couple weeks. Still use a small pad in my underwear. Getting out of a car, coughing, etc. still causes a bit of leakage. I manage. If you feel this is not changing discuss with your urologist at a future appointment.

10 months for me and I started the thread which has been informative and supportive over this journey. Patience Patience Patience
Am now using a small shield during the day and day at night. Very small amount of leakage, sometime none at all. Hang in there. Don’t give up.

Hi Everyone
I'm a fit 61 year old and 6 months after robot assisted removal of my prostate. I still have no real bladder control when walking and find bending down etc challenging. I walk for an hour most days and that's when I have no control at all. Good news is that I can cycle and have no issues at all. For me it is just the walking round and bending down that causes leaking. It's very slow recovery but I'm hoping the control will come back gradually. I do my exercises everyday. Patience is the key.