AUS (Artificial Urinary Sphincter) and Sling Male Urethral Sling Surgery

I had the AUS surgery last January. I am 70 and had been dealing with incontinence post RP for 3 years.

I went from 6-8 heavy pads per day to, at this point, almost pad free. The first month or so I used a light pad. At that point I was noticing that I was changing the pad each day and the pads were clean. I worked up the nerve to go pad free around the house and that built up the confidence to go about my day pad free. Now, I only use a pad if I am going to be doing something that involves heavy lifting. Otherwise, I am walking around pad free.

I did have the misfortune to get Covid last month on an overseas trip. While recovering found a needed to use a light pad until I got back to normal. Now, I am back to pad free. I have no idea what it was about Covid that made the device less effective, but I thought I would mention in the event anyone else goes through that scenario.

For me, the AUS has been a life changing event. It is hard to express what a cloud incontinence was over my life and how that cloud has been lifted by the AUS device.

I’m 72 about 18 months out of prostate surgery if I just set around go through about 4-6 shields a day but if doing anything have to use heavy pads. Was thinking of AUS but surgeon said that I was a candidate for the sling so praying for some normalcy back in my life. Thanks for all the comments.