AUS (Artificial Urinary Sphincter) and Sling Male Urethral Sling Surgery

I had the AUS implanted 3 weeks ago. Half way to activation.

What I can say so far is the pain has not been bad. I have been able to manage it with tylenol. There is still some discomfort on the stitching behind the scrotum and some redness on the bottom of the scrotum which I was told was normal. The abdominal incision is pretty well healed already.

Getting eager for the next 3 weeks to be up and seeing how this works out.

I hope all goes well, that the pain is easing and it was worth it for the relief of the IC. Do keep us posted.

Yes, good luck. I’m currently very happy with my results after needing a revision. The original surgery got me out of diapers, but I needed the revision to get to where I am pretty much dry all the time now.
Boomer

Hey, all. My AUS was activated Wednesday. I am dry for the first time in 27 months! I could not be more happy with going ahead with the AUS.

Thanks to all of your for your support.

Congratulations! Only persons who have dealt with these issues will understand how nice it truly is! I'm also dry since undergoing my revision.
Boomer59

Fantastic news. May it give many years of great service. The more I hear of the comments on the AUS the more convinced I am that I too should look into it. Thanks for sharing your experience.

I am looking into having the AUS. I read somewhere that a doctor recommended two cuffs be installed when you have it done. Has anyone had this done and how has it worked.

I have read of this as well but I believe it’s only appropriate in very specific situations. Proper sizing of a single cuff gives excellent results with the least risk of serious complications from what I’ve researched. Speaking with a surgeon who has lots of experience in placing AUS devices is the best source for accurate information though. I can say I’m very happy with the results of my AUS placement.
Boomer

Appreciate the info. I also wonder if anyone in central/ north jersey could recommend a physician that is skilled in the procedure. As I would like someone that does them on a regular basis.

See
When they place the cuff it is sized so that when inflated with saline it closes the urethra so that urine doesn’t pass through. It’s much like a blood pressure cuff. If too large/loose leakage occurs. If to tight/small just the opposite you can deflate the cuff and still have an occluded urethra and unable to pass urine. Additionally, too tight and other complications are possible like erosion of the urethra which is rare. Anyway they size the cuff to each individual during the surgery and check it by doing a cystoscopy where the look inside of the urethra while you are under anesthesia to see if it occludes the flow of urine.
My original AUS worked well enough to get me from full diapers to a few large pads a day, especially if I was active. In discussions with my surgeon he felt downsizing the cuff a bit would improve it and it was a good decision as I am now dry Maybe a drop or two with a violent sneeze. I still wear a thin pad but probably don’t need to. It just gives me peace of mind.
I believe Boston Scientific is the manufacture for the majority of AUS implants.
E mail me if you would like to speak about my experience and I would be happy to discuss it further with you.
I was reluctant to do the surgery as anyone would be but if you do your homework and decide it’s an option you are interested in they can be life changing. I feel normal again. The key is going to a place that does a lot of them. Most urologists only do a handful.
Boomer

Had the AUS surgery last Friday. Bit sore, and black and blue but otherwise OK.
Looking forward to activation at 6 weeks. Noticed a slight difference already, I use a penile clamp, and it used to be a flood gate when I removed it, now more controlled with cuff in place , even not inflated.
Positive signs I think. Can't wait.

Brendencal
Good luck and wishing you all the best. Hopefully activation will be like changing- in a great way
Boomer

PatRnFl said:
Coming up on 2yrs post RP.
will be having a penis pump with urethral sling surgery in August. It's call a MINI JUPETTE . Dr says it should end my leaking wich is about 1 shield per day. And allow for erection that can perform. Will keep yall posted.

I think this is the right conversation I am scheduled for a sling surgery has anyone had one and does it help with say working on your knees laying a vinyl floor and getting up and down. Worked all day and went through two maxi pads and really soaked the last one

I had the Boston Scientific Advanced sling on January 6,2023. I am pleased with the results. I went from several thick pads a day to one thin pad. It was a life changing surgery, for the better. Note: the recovery was painful but worth it.