Enjoying pads with tabs

Looks like I'm pretty much like most here. Once I started wearing diapers at night I've never slept better, now there's no way I could get to sleep without one on. It's just such a huge relief to know that even if you do have an accident your bed (and Wife!) will be protected.

Whether it's pads inside of underpants, pull-ups, disposable diapers, or cloth diapers and plastic pants, I think each of us eventually find "peace of mind" when we find the correct product to keep our bed dry.

I don't know if the word "Enjoy" applies to what I feel when I put on my night time diapers. I think for me personally, it's more a case of feeling a "sense of calm" that I'm wearing protection that is absorbent enough that I won't wake up in a wet bed. And I think that may change over time, for many of us, if our incontinence gets worse.

When I first started wetting the bed again, as an adult in my 30's, it was only once or twice a year. After the 2nd time it happened, we put a waterproof mattress protector on the bed. After a few years, I was wetting the bed several times a year, and my wife insisted I start wearing something. Depends Real Fit had not been "invented" yet, but there were some brands that had adult pull-ups, which I used. These worked for a while. Fast-forward a few more years, and I was wetting about once a month, AND I was wetting more, so the pull-ups leaked for me. So I went to a thicker, tabbed disposable diaper. Now jump forward again, to this past year. My bedwetting has increased to several times a week, and since I often end up sleeping on my side during the night, I found the disposable diapers leaked for me too...

I don't know about everyone else, but when my diaper leaks, the wet sheets WILL wake me up EVERY time!
Then it's real hard to get back to sleep, without changing the bed. And it's not a fun time to wake the wife at 3am, telling her we have to change the sheets!! For that reason, I have (And she insisted..) gone back to cloth diapers and plastic pants for bedtime. With cloth diapers, I can double them up, or add a cloth booster insert, to get the right absorbency. Now I RARELY ever wake up with a leaking diaper.

Now the point of this is that at every stage of my "return to bedwetting", I felt a real "peace of mind" and comfort, knowing that I could get a good nights' sleep without waking up in a wet bed. And as each product started to fail me, I started feeling stress when I'd go to bed, not knowing what the night would bring. Of course, we all know how a bad night's sleep with affect us, so going to the next level of "protection" was really a no-brainer!!

So does going to bed every night in cloth diapers and plastic pants make me "Happy"??? Well, I guess I can say I'm "Happy" in knowing that I won't wake up during the night in a wet bed, so with that in mind, I don't mind the diapers at all. But in a perfect world, I wouldn't need them at all.

MikeD9876 -- a man who listens to his wife! I'm your admirer! And I believe that the cloth diapers and plastic pants are the best for adults as we may be more prone to rashes as we age and the disposable diapers can be chaffing.

@mhart82 They’re available in several sizes. I buy mine at any grocery / big box store. There are usually groupons for them in each week’s newspaper or grocery app online, for $2-$3 off.

Nice post Mike. It sounds like it hasn’t been easy for you and your wife. Sorry to hear that. I usually wear plastic pants too, mostly over a disposable, but sometimes over cloth. I find with cloth diapers though, I have to double diaper to make sure I don’t leak. I keep a diaper pail in my closet and just have to remember to regularly wash them. It took me awhile to get good diaper pins for bigger, thicker diapers, but I found some through KINS products out of Canada.

Bugalugs... Yes, any kind of a disability can be trying on a marriage, but my wife has always been pretty understanding. In fact, when my bedwetting got worse, she was the one who first bought the cloth diapers and plastic pants for me. She went on line and found AdultClothDiaper.com, where she got everything - the cloth diapers, diaper inserts, plastic pants and pins. I had resisted the thought of cloth diapers for a while, because they cost more and require washing. However, in the long run, they are much cheaper to use. I have some now that are over 3 years old, and are still in good condition.

We did find that the plastic pants don't last as long. They tend to get brittle and crack or tear after awhile. I also found that the plastic pants from Kins products seem to last longer than the pants from AdultClothDiaper.com. And, like you, we found the diaper pins from Kins work well for adult diapers.

Hi @MikeD9876, You're lucky you have a great and understanding wife. Sounds like she has gone the distance for you! :)

You’re right Mike, about the KINS diapers, plastic pants and pins. I have some that I have been reusing for a long time too. I also feel that my wife has been extremely supportive but she has never spent a night with me when I wasn’t in diapers or a catheter. It’s probably a bit more difficult when the problem starts after you’ve been together. It took me 3 marriages to find such an angel, so I feel very lucky.

Mike:
You mentioned your plastic pants getting brittle and cracking. From that I'm assuming they were not PUL pants. I've had several pairs that I've had for 4 or more years (machine wash, line dry) and they are still going strong. For nights I like the Adult Cloth Diaper Co. Leakmaster PUL pants. Same exact great quality as the Gary's ( I think they are made by the same company) but with a fuller cut which is great for sleeping in. I use the trimmer cut Gary Activewear PUL pants for daytime and have had several of those for more than 4 year too.

I would say I do not fall into the category of looking forward to putting on my diaper but I will say I do like (prefer) the feel of my overnight tape on diaper, over my daytime pullups.
Why? Don't really know other then they do feel better (more comfortable). Possibly because when I apply my diapers they are "custom fit" to my body? When I pull them around me, adjust, and tape it is fitting my body shape/size.
Even though diapers and pullups are rate for a span of waist sizes I am sorta stuck with the fit and feel of a pullup whereas the diaper waist is fully adjustable to me and my liking. Like it looser make it looser. Like a tight diaper make it tight.
I do like the peace of mind as others have stated. For me I know I am going to wet the bed but it does not matter with a diaper on.
I have been wearing diapers to bed for so long I don't know how I would be able to sleep with nothing on, it would feel so strange, and of course knowing I will wet the bed I guess I would not sleep.

If I or anyone else here ever has to "upgrade" to a diaper, your explanation of how they can be custom-fitted is a very valid reason, I think. That makes perfect sense in explaining how the diapers are more comfortable because you can custom-fit them to a "T.".