what do you prefer: bath or shower. and why

@ritanofsinger Totally depends on 1) the duration of the shower and 2) the size of the bathtub. Quick showers are brief and don’t use much water. But on my “biggest of all big showers” days, I’m washing and conditioning my hair twice, and shaving my entire body, I’m in there for a full 30 minutes, so that uses up way more water than if I filled up my puny bathtub.

Hi @Ruhappy, I hope you got a good price for that tub! A lot of people will move heaven and earth to get one of those! They do look cool in a period bathroom but for my money it's the shower for sure! :D

snow--here in Albuquerque we're a mile high so water in the tub doesn't stay warm long. That's part of what makes baths not as pleasant. A funny but important attitude story: When I was 14 and lived in Tulsa, OK I was staying with my aunt, uncle and their four kids age, 16, 14, 12 and 9 one summer when my uncle told us he had saved enough money for the family to take a short vacation from Kansas to the Ozarks. They were quite poor and lived in a very small 3 bedroom home that my uncle was "building" while holding down a full time job at a gas service station.

After begging my mother and verifying that it was fine with my aunt for us to all cram into a small sedan in the middle of the summer and drive 400 miles or so and I had about $3, allowed me to go to Missouri with them. When we got to a motel and it was time for baths, my aunt told us to not fill the bathtub past two inches. She had never been to any tourist place so didn't know how things worked, she thought the family would have to pay extra for the water. I was flabbergasted, and even though I explained to her how renting a cabin worked, she couldn't believe that they wouldn't have to pay for the water. But we had a great time and even had a tire blowout while my cousin Virgil was driving and he handled the car very well. We all praised his driving ability.

@ritanofsinger What a great story; thank you! How fun! Such a neat memory!

Yes, living here in SLC at 5,000 ft. above sea level here, the water also doesn’t get nor stay as warm as at sea level, plus if it’s winter, the tub walls can’t retain the heat of the water for very long.

Hi @ritanofsinger, that was a fun story and it does point out that one of the built in amenities of renting a room somewhere is the inclusion of utilities such as water, gas, electric, etc. I just hope the corporate bean counters of today don't, in addition to charging travelers for a room, also add on charges depending on how much water, electric, etc., we use! And that's in addition to what we snitch out of the mini-fridge! That would be intolerable! Hopefully none of those bean counters are members of this forum! :O And if I could travel 400 miles these days on just $3 that would be really cool! :cool:
And @snow, it sounds like trying to take a bath in SLC in the middle of winter would be an adventure in the truest sense of the word! But when it gets to the point there's frost on the bathroom walls .... I really don't like being cold when in the bath or shower! :(

I have to be carefull in a hot tub. When I get out I sometimes feel very heavy or very weak like im sick. Maybe I stay in too long.

That's the way I read it, @emily91 and @ritanofsinger! And I, too, have never been in a giant hot tub! :O I wonder if that would be a bucket list thing?

I'd have to vote for shower... I think it stems from my childhood. I was an every-night bedwetter until I was a little past 14 years old, so I had to take shower every morning. With 5 people in the family, and only 1 bathroom which had a tub/shower combo, there was never enough "bathroom time" to allow for a bath.

Also, when I was a younger child, I asked my mom a few times about taking a bath instead of a shower. Her reply was "You want to wash the pee down the drain, not sit in it!!" What ever sense that makes, or doesn't make, it always stuck with me. I've always showered every morning, whether I woke up wet or not. Now that I seem to be back-sliding into bedwetting again, the morning shower is as important as ever.

You guys haven’t been in hot tubs at hotels or gyms or apartment/condo buildings? Wild. I can’t imagine. I grew up with one in my parents’ house. The room the hottub is in is also a cedar sauna, with a window. Lovely to sit in there and let snowflakes blow in across a candle, while staying warm in the deep bubbles. Soooooooooo helpful for the spine and joints.

Ruhappy - Yes you shouldn't stay in a hot tub longer than 15 minutes and less if you have any medically compromised issues.

billiveshere - The biggest hot tub I've ever been in held ten people but the best ones are where the most people are like 4 or 5 and you can talk to each other or whatever. The jets hammering on an aching back are very soothing.

But the best where I've ever been in hot water was at the mineral springs pool in Glenwood Springs, Colorado. The whole northeast end of the pool is very warm and I suppose healing because of the minerals. It smells "funny" like sulphur springs do. Here in NM there are other mineral springs and I know of one other spot near Colorado Springs where my son used to go. The thing that makes the hot tubs so popular is the jets. A friend of mine who had had surgery for her broken back had a wonderful doctor who PRESCRIBED everyday hot tub usage for her. Her husband had a room built onto their home and a very large hot tub installed(he was an accountant.) They deducted the cost of the whole thing and the yearly expense from their income tax. Now that's cool!! Of course that was 40 years ago. But she was so relieved of pain that they took up regular square dancing.

Hot tubs get hotter than regular tubs, too, so the heat is more soothing than in a tub. The depth of the water is also more soothing than a household tub.

I agree with @ritanofsinger, @Ruhappy. Too much hot water can really sap your strength and it sounds like 15 minutes is a good rule of thumb.
And Rita if there are tubs that hold four or five people, it would probably be a good idea to make sure you're friends (or at least on civil speaking terms) with all of them! :D

Hot Tubs' water have to be tested for proper pH and disinfectant chemicals like chlorine. There are alternatives to chlorine, which i react to. By the owner, if it isn't one at a resort, club, etc. Had one for a few years, but indoors. Friends had one outdoors, but covered. I prefer a couple of Hot Springs, both in Alaska, and Washington (the state), and even Canada's B.C. Nothing, but nothing, is finer than being in a hot pool at minus 10 degrees, with snow falling on you. Unless it is at night with the Northern Lights (Chena Hot Springs, near Fairbanks, AK, or Mount Layton Hot Springs near Terrace, B.C.) That'll take the tension out of you.
I think there was a thread on here about IC and hot-tubs, since it is something we need to think about.
Most commercial hotsprings have a list of rules posted, with suggested time limits and symptoms of "too much".

MikeD9876 -- We get some strange information from our "ancestors" with no idea of where the information originated or why. When I was three years-old and temporarily living on a farm in Kansas with my paternal grandfather, his mentally challenged younger brother, and their mother, the four of us took one bath a week, Saturday eve, in a galvanized wash tub set on the linoleum flooring in the kitchen. This was the same tub that Great-grandma used to rinse the clothes in on wash day. Grandma heated water on her wood stove in the kitchen and my great-uncle pumped cold water from the well just outside the back porch.

I don't remember the line up but I suspicion that Grandma was first or she may never have actually taken a bath, but only sponge-washed as she was personally very private. As the water cooled one of the adults dipped out some water and more heated water was poured in. We used the lye soap that Grandma made which was used for everything that got washed. I doubt that there was anybody who peed in the water, certainly none of us luxuriated in the bath; each of us had to hurry up for the next person to get bathed so we could get dressed up and go into town for the evening. I'm sure that the adults were all very pleased when they moved into town and after about five years had a shower stall put in and a toilet which replaced the outdoor John! Until then they continued the tub baths and Grandma had a lidded "slop jar" under her bed for nighttime use (which my uncle emptied in the outhouse each day).

When Grandma went to bed she carried a wet rag as she washed her feet before getting into the bed; that's because she always went barefoot except when going to downtown or to church. She had long narrow fee and couldn't get shoes from Montgomery Ward or Sears catalogs that fit her.
She also had a bottle of some kind of leniment that rested on the chair by her bed. I don't remember what muscles she rubbed it on.

Thanks to all of you speaking of these subjects that bring up my memories of "the good old days" HAH!

@emily91, the giant hot tubs are really fun and relaxing. But they aren't very cool. Unless your kids run you out of hot water before your tub fills up. They are quite hot. Lol

AlasSouth - What a great bunch of experiences you've had. I first saw the Aurora Borealis in Kansas of all places, but being in the situation you described would be so romantic! The mineral springs in Glenwood Springs, Colorado is also a great place with a heated pool and here in NM we have at least a couple of hot springs. I had a friend in Colorado who had back surgery and her doctor prescribed everyday use of a hot tub for her therapy. So her husband, an accountant, had a room built onto their home with a large hot tub. It was a wonderful thing plus it was a legitimate tax deduction every year. And a few years later she and her husband took up square dancing!

at ritanofsinger, yes: a cool experience

I imagine it's awesome. just sitting their letting the bubbles surround you

at ritanofsinger, speaking of the "good old days" can be fun!

litirally the only thing I can think of regarding this subject is when I was really little, I had baths rather than showers. I'd sit their in the tub until all the water had drained out (or down the plug), and then bang my little feet on the bottom of the bath and call out (in my best voice at the time) the waters gone. and waited for someone to come and wrap me up in the towel

not much of a memory, I guess. but it meant a lot to me- it was part of my childhood

now I'm not sure I could get in the tub without falling so need showers