what do you prefer: bath or shower. and why

Archives1

Staff member
I prefer bath
because I can relax in the water and I can sit down:)

where I live now though doesn't have a bath, only a shower
having a shower sure makes things easier, (especially if you're in a rush), but I'm still on the side of baths. they are just more relaxing and more appealing to me

Ha ha that's a very British question. I'm a Brit so prefer baths. But I think we are in the minority☺🙂🙂

Gravity does not effect you while under water. A bath or pool is the only place I can find peace. (And nobody wants to see me naked so I get peace there with or without gravity)

I love giant hottubs with jets, but I don’t like baths. They hurt my back like crazy, are very boring, and are too small. I didn’t even like baths when I was a kid. They get too cold too quickly, unlike hottubs. So for day/to-day use, showers are my favorite. I live in a place with a hottub, but they’ve got it shut down right now because of COVID.

Although I can see why people prefer baths, like being able to sit down, relax and just soak in the warm water, I'm going to vote for a shower. It's true showers are better when you're in a hurry but the best thing for me is a shower washes away all the dirt and soap and I have the sense that I feel cleaner.
And @snow, I can understand how baths can hurt you back, but I have never before heard that baths are very boring! Never thought of it that way! :O And I do agree, a bath can get too cold too quickly!

Showers are my favorite for the same reasons biliveshere. I like to say, I haven't had a bath in years! It's too hard to get in and out of the tub now that I'm much older anyway. The hotter water from the shower feels really good on my back in the shower. But there's another thing that I thought of yesterday: washing my back has become such a hard job that I just can't do it. So my back hasn't had soap on it for a long time either! Oh well!

Hi @ritanofsinger, boy have you come to the right place here! I, too, haven't washed my back in the shower until.....I got a bath brush! It's on a handle so you can easily reach behind and you can get it good and soapy. The bristles are not really soft but they are still comfortable. I don't know why I've waited so long to finally get one! I think I got mine at something like a Dollar General. So they can probably be found at many different types of store. Hope you can find one really soon! You'll really love it! :D
And another thing about a bath. Seems silly but I can envision me getting my big toe stuck in the spout! :( (or maybe :O)

For me, I love a bath.. but this time of year is bad because I have an all gas system and it is expensive to use a lot of hot water and heat my place... truly if I had it my way I would have a huge bath tub with all of the bells and whistles. Showers are nessassary for me though due to bowel issue so.

@billliveshere I don’t like holding still doing nothing, so a bath is a real drag for me. The worst part of any surgery for me is holding still through recovery. I’m super physically fidgety, which is why I prefer climbing mountains and working on film sets. When I get bored, I get unbelievably anxious, so baths drive me crazy. I’d love to never have one again for the rest of my life! Also, I agree with you that baths aren’t very clean compared to a shower. But they are better for the environment.

Hi, snow, what you say makes sense. I have to agree that being forced to hold still is not much fun and for me that would really tend to make me kind of grouchy! And it looks like there is nothing all that much you an do while in a bath, now that you mention it. I know if I have to stay still for too long I just want to get out and take a walk! I even get that way if I have to drive around town in the car and do errands. There comes a time when I just want to go somewhere where I can walk and get out and go! So I can see where the climbing mountains comes in but I have never worked on a film set before!
But "they" do say that taking a bath uses less water than a shower. Well, I'll just conserve my water elsewhere I think! :D

billiveshere -- I used to have a brush like. you're describing but it was too stiff. So I got one with soft bristles and liked it. I don't know what happened to it over the years of raising my grandkids and don't remember where I got it from, maybe Avon. But it's not a big deal. A large wash cloth sometimes works a little. I'm just getting old and stiff jointed mostly.

snow - Do you mean baths are better for the environment over showers? You mean because of the amount of water used? I don't understand that. I have a low pressure shower attachment and don't stay in the shower long. I thought it worked like a dishwasher and so you use less water with a shower than filling the bathtub. Maybe I'm missing something here?

Showers for me. I no longer own a tub at all. I did have an antique claw foot tub but didnt enjoy it like I thought I would. So I sold it.