Vaseline (Petroleum jelly)

Archives1

Staff member
Is there anyone here who wears disposables 24/7 for urinary incontinence (only), who uses petroleum jelly as a barrier instead of zinc oxide cream on a regular basis? If so, have you experienced any problems or advantages? Any tips or advice? Thanks in advance.

I found it very itchy and felt like my skin could not breathe down there. Maybe I used too much but I didn't like the constant slippery feeling.

Hmm, I would think this is problematic based on my experience with my own son as a baby. After he was circumcised, we were instructed to apply petroleum jelly for several days while he healed. I remember that his diaper would leak constantly because the jelly would repel the urine and shoot it right out the sides of the diaper. I’d guess for an adult it would depend on where and how it was applied, just something to watch out for.

I like using vaseline for diaper rash. The only issue I have is that if you get it on the tape, it won't stick. Wish you could get extra tape somewhere, either in the package,or separately.

Calmoseptine burns when I apply it. Great science just don’t like the menthol. Vaseline is just pure petroleum. Most of the barrier creams have it as a base and put astringents and physical barriers in it. My favorite is J & J baby lotion and Balmex for adults. Here have kept my skin intact for years of diapers.

I've used Calmoseptine ointment for over 20 years and it works the best for me. It must be applied with each change and not wait until there's a rash.