Suffering incontinence due to IBS

Archives1

Staff member
I was diagnosed with IBS-D 2 years ago, with occasional incontinence when it would really be bad, and I was away from a restroom. Mainly in the car, or somewhere I couldn’t get to a restroom within 10 or 15 minutes. I saw the doctor at that time, and she recommended changes to my diet, and basically said just to monitor and let them know if it gets worse. She really didn’t seem that concerned, as I was not having a lot of pain, or blood in the stool, etc.

I went back to the doctor this last month, because it has progressed to a point where I am having incontinent episodes nearly every day, some days multiple times. I tracked my issues using an app on my phone, and over a 2 week period, I had 19 accidents! I have had to start wearing disposable diapers, as I have a long commute to work, and basically every morning I get to work and go straight to the restroom and have to change the diaper. It’s taking a real toll in every aspect of my life, and I have to get some resolution. What’s really freaking me out, is sometimes it’s not even diarrhea and I will still have an accident.

So I am seeing a GI doctor in 2 weeks. Does anyone have any idea on what to expect at the first visit? When they called me to set up the appointment they didn’t really tell me anything other than when to be there. I’m trying to get over my reluctance to talk about this. I have to do something, I can’t continue on this way. If I keep having these issues, I’m going to struggle to keep working, and really doing anything. I have a great family, husband, kids and all that who are supportive, but these issues are really changing what I can do with them and it takes a toll. I’m 41 and in good physical shape, and I don’t want to be wearing diapers the rest of my life.

Thanks for the opportunity to vent! Trying to make it through this.

Sylvia,

Bowel incontinence is super distressing. However, gastroenterologists and their staffs see this every day they're at work. The exams for this, as you might imagine, are very embarrassing; however, they are necessary. Good luck an keep us informed.

Well the increasing severity led me to the same conclusion Patrick, that getting help is absolutely necessary at this point. It's taken me a while to get up the courage to address this, but I think the embarrassment of the condition now far outweighs my anxiety about seeking treatment. Thanks for the encouragement.