Product Advice - Heavy Bedwetting

Archives1

Staff member
I am a 27 year old male who has experienced bedwetting issues for about 1 year now since starting university as a “mature age student”. Some weeks I am dry. Others I can wet 5-6 nights in a row. All physical tests have returned nil result and am now waiting on my urologist to review my bladder diary. I have been unofficially handballed to my psychologist to work on anxiety/stress issues.

Finally starting to wear nappies to bed has helped with management and also reduced frequency slightly, however, I wet heavily during the night (anywhere between 500-1000ml) and also sleep in a variety of different positions which contribute to frequent leakage onto my sheets and mattress cover.

I’ve tried the following all in one nappies:
Arena M4
Molicare (the highest absorbency one, forget the name)
Dailee Slip Maxi
Tena Maxi
Depend (highest absorbency one, forget the name)

I’ve added plastic pants but struggle to keep these on during summer.

Can anyone advise on a highly absorbent disposable that is suitable for restless sleepers? I live alone, so discretion is not a consideration for me. My priority is finding a product that keeps me and my bed dry.

Id give Betterdry products a try or if you have available Northshores' Megamax a try. Both work very well, especially when dealing with nighttime voids.

Try the Northshore Megamax or Better Dry Brief Diapers. Both you can find on the Northshore Care Supply website. The Megamax briefs also come in different colors so you can be fun and stylish if you want as well!For pull up diapers the Northshore GoSupreme and Flex Supremes are good!! I also like the Abena Underwear or Seni Underwear. Both of those are great as well. At least from my perspective they are. Sometimes I feel like the Northshore brands and Attends Pull Ups brands can be a little bulky. That's why I like the Abena and Seni Underwear better.

I agree you might also try adding a booster pad and definitely avoid pullups if you are having leakage issues they don't offer the protection as a full diaper

mhart82 said:
Try the Northshore Megamax or Better Dry Brief Diapers. Both you can find on the Northshore Care Supply website. The Megamax briefs also come in different colors so you can be fun and stylish if you want as well!For pull up diapers the Northshore GoSupreme and Flex Supremes are good!! I also like the Abena Underwear or Seni Underwear. Both of those are great as well. At least from my perspective they are. Sometimes I feel like the Northshore brands and Attends Pull Ups brands can be a little bulky. That's why I like the Abena and Seni Underwear better.

Rowan,
Until you determine the cause of your leakage, I suggest you try to reduce or stop the leakage, rather than deal with it afterwards. I can't speak to other means that may be available (if any), but can share how I have beat my own nighttime and daytime leakage. After five years of development and testing, my engineer partner and I have a patent-pending soft silicone external device that should solve your problem. It is not for sale as yet, but would be happy to send you a prototype at no cost. I would only ask that you give us feedback for our marketing database. We are no longer seeking additional volunteer testers, but since your condition is a bit exceptional, I would be happy to help out. If you'd like more info, do let me know. Best wishes. Fynlee amhelp@comcast.net

Rowan123:
Try adding a multi layer cotton cloth (hand towel?) inside your nighttime diaper. It will absorb faster than any regular diaper and then slowly distribute the wetness to you diaper. For sure add plastic pants over everything just to catch any external leaks. Hope this helps!

deraven82 said:
Id give Betterdry products a try or if you have available Northshores' Megamax a try. Both work very well, especially when dealing with nighttime voids.

Thanks for your reply. I haven’t heard of either of those products. I’ll order some samples and give them a whirl.

mhart82 said:

Thanks for your advice. I underestimated my output initially and opted for pull ups. I think I wet too heavily for those, but I will try the all in one recommendations you have listed.

DPCARE said:
I agree you might also try adding a booster pad and definitely avoid pullups if you are having leakage issues they don't offer the protection as a full diaper

mhart82 said:

Thanks mate. Don’t worry, I’m already sworn off pull ups. I’m not sure that they’re designed for restless sleepers, and my thighs are on the thin side so the adjustable fit of the all in ones works better for me. I tried Abrilet boosters with some of the nappies I listed above but seemed to leak a little more frequently. I think it was a leg guard issue.Do you have any brand recommendations for boosters?

Fynlee said:
Rowan,
Until you determine the cause of your leakage, I suggest you try to reduce or stop the leakage, rather than deal with it afterwards. I can't speak to other means that may be available (if any), but can share how I have beat my own nighttime and daytime leakage. After five years of development and testing, my engineer partner and I have a patent-pending soft silicone external device that should solve your problem. It is not for sale as yet, but would be happy to send you a prototype at no cost. I would only ask that you give us feedback for our marketing database. We are no longer seeking additional volunteer testers, but since your condition is a bit exceptional, I would be happy to help out. If you'd like more info, do let me know. Best wishes. Fynlee amhelp@comcast.net

Hi Fynlee, thanks for the offer but my urologist has recommended against anything that uses external pressure to stop urine flow. No shade on your product. I’ve had stricture issues before and need to steer clear.

Padded53 said:
Rowan123:
Try adding a multi layer cotton cloth (hand towel?) inside your nighttime diaper. It will absorb faster than any regular diaper and then slowly distribute the wetness to you diaper. For sure add plastic pants over everything just to catch any external leaks. Hope this helps!

Thanks very much. I’ve steered clear of reusable products due to a tricky washing situation but something small might be okay. I know the plastic pants are logical, however, I live in a hot part of Australia without air conditioning and struggle to keep them on when it’s really hot. I’ve also gone to bed a few times with them on and woken up to find I’d taken them off in my sleep (?) and leaked everywhere.

Thanks for your advice everyone. I am new to this forum and unsure if I have replied to your comments the right way. Please let me know if I’m doing it incorrectly.

I’m happy to have some more absorbent options to look in to.

Rowan... You said you wet heavily, 500 to 1000 ml. Wow, a pretty heavy output, alright!

There are several "High absorbency" diapers available, that advertise being able to contain more than this... However, I've found that doesn't always hold true in real life. Usually, in my case, they start to leak out the sides before they distribute the wetness thru out the diaper and to the back side.

I have had some success with putting a booster pad in my disposable diapers, like on vacation, and traveling, when I don't want to haul cloth diapers with me. Other than that, I wear thick cloth diapers and plastic pants at night, since I wet heavily also, when in bed. I have photo examples in my profile of what products work best for me.

I sympathise with your issues. I am older than you but wet heavily at night most of my life.
I used to use Tenaslip Maxi Active Fit which have plastic backing rather than the cloth like cover. From experience the plastic backed nappies are a bit hotter but they stay snug fitting better and taped stay stuck whereas cloth ones sag or tapes come loose. The Maxi absorbancy was good but I still got leaks but Tena now have Ultima which is a little more bulky but more effective at night. I also wear a pair of Terry cloth lined plastic plants over the top. To be honest, like one of the other posters I find cloth nappies which can be layered and boosted the best option as long as you can deal with washing. I found a company in uk who made custom fitted shaped Velcro cotton nappies for adults. The advantage is that there is absorbancy all around the sides at hips etc unlike on a disposable - much more effective for side sleepers. I’ve also used a folded 24inch babies Terry nappy folded in 3 lengthways insides a disposable for times when I needed extra protection.

I am a heavy wetter. I use Tena Maxi slips but wear padded inco pants over them with plastic pants over the lot. My bed is well protected and I have a flanellete sheet over a washable bed pad so any leaks are absorbed and I stay warm and comforrtable

I am also a bedwetter who wets heavily, and rolls around a lot during the night. I have had great success with the Abri-Form L4 diaper together with an Abri-let Maxi booster. I have never had a significant accident in the bed with this combination. When I am away from home visiting family, friends or staying in a hotel, I also use terry-lined plastic pants over the disposable, just for added confidence. I can't remember ever having the terry padding turn up wet in the morning, though.

As you noted, it is important to find the brand that is the correct fit for your body type. Like you, my thighs are not large, and I found that many of the brands seem designed for larger wearers, resulting in leg leaks for me (I am 6'1" and 175 lbs, thighs 22"). One thing I found that helped with leg leaks are waterproof covers like Gary Wear or Sani Pant from North Shore, which have cotton-covered elastic leg openings. These fit much better, and are more comfortable than plain elastic. When choosing a size, lean toward the smaller end, and the pant will also help with sagging, also legs openings will be a little smaller.

As Stevewet mentioned, I also use a mattress cover that is waterproof on the back and padded on the top, and then use another regular mattress cover over that one. This combination solved the problem of sleeping hot that you mentioned. With only the waterproof cover, even with it having padding on the top, I would wake up in a pool of sweat. With the extra regular padded cover, all is good. Both are easily laundered if you do have an accident.

Hope this helps!

Rowan,
Thx for your reply. The device that we've developed and tested employs a protrusion at the lower inside of the soft silicone sleeve. The minimal perimeter pressure is concentrated at the protrusion, which puts upward pressure on the urethra. Your urologist is only speaking to the alternatives that he/she is aware of, not this unique design, I must say. Necessary pressure on the urethra is minimal at night, since lying down produces very little intravesical pressure...thanks to gravity. If you change your mind, I would be happy help. Best wishes. Fynlee amhelp@comcast.net

@MikeD9876 thanks for your advice.

Yeah, it’s pretty wild. I knew I produced a fair bit of urine overnight prior to starting wetting, but wasn’t aware of how much it was until I did my bladder diary. More often, it’s between 500-700ml. The higher end happens if I have a couple of beers in the evening (rare).

I had a look at the photos you referenced. Do you find that set up uncomfortable to sleep in? I’d be more willing to try washable products if I didn’t have shared laundry facilities. (It was an oversimplification for me to say that I reside alone. I am single and sleep alone. I live in a large share house and have the privacy of my own bedroom, toilet and bathroom, which is great for the morning clean up, but not so great for the daily sheets/ mattress protector of shame on the clothesline situation.) My housemates probably already know I wet based on the contents of my washing line, but I would never hear the end of it if they knew I was wearing nappies to bed.

Do the washable last that you use look like cloth nappies, or just sheets of cloth? I.e. if they were hanging on a clothes line, would someone be able to tell what they are?

A solid disposable system also appeals to me as an option to allow me to stay over at other people’s houses again. I’ve been really avoidant with friends and family over the past year but would be far more willing to do overnight stays again if I have a system I feel confident with.