My experience with tsa

Archives1

Staff member
I decided on my way home I would do the scanner instead of the pat down. I hadn’t had a chance to change out of my wet MegaMax so I was a bit nervous about that. It did not show up on the scanner. The only thing that triggered anything was the wipes in my bag. So just to clear up the rumors wet diapers don’t trigger the body scanner.

@justej What did they do with the wipes? Why are they a problem, do they think they’re covered in gasoline or something?

@snow nothing. One was brand new and the other one had been opened. I guess because she saw the diapers too she let it go. But the only thing I can think of is that they were wet and triggered the scanner. But the body scanner is a different thing so maybe they sense things different

I think it hardly depends on the scanner.... There are at least two quite popular types of scanners - the "ProVison" (that's the booths) and the "Wall's" from Rhode&Schwarz. The ProVision scanner does not detect wet diapers - the Rohde does.

It is especially funny because it displays "suspicious" objects in yellow.

As for the wet wipes - the X-ray scanner that scans the baggage recognizes them in any case. The scanners are now very sophisticated and the new models can now also do the whole thing in 3D with an even finer frequency resolution so that different substances can be detected even better.

TSA. Man how I miss the days when they weren’t around. They definitely don’t make me feel any safer since 9/11. I feel more afraid than ever!

@snow I’m with you. Tsa doesn’t make me feel any safer either. Also I’m posting this from the air. WiFi on a plane oh how things have changed!

@MichaelDahlke this scanner also displayed suspicious things in yellow. Don’t know what kind it was though

Once I accidentally left my pocket knife in my carryon bag and it went through security. Also this time I had a set of reusable knife and fork in my backpack and it went through. They don’t care.

@snow

The crazy thing is that there was a report that the TSA missed 95% of the test stuff that they put through to see if they could catch it.

I've seen those article about TSA missing stuff, both from ordinary people and from the "testers". I have wondered if part of it is how hard they get pushed to go through so many passegers.
The latest "news", however, is that they now have service dogs that can ID someone with Covid. It is ironic that they are using them on the airport workers (including TSA workers), first. The article seemed a little uncertain - or maybe the Gov't is uncertain - when they will include passengers. It must take some time to train the dogs. What do they do, take them to the ICU? They supposedly smell the affects of body changes, like the changed smell sweat gives off when you have Covid. Sounds like they can catch an "a-symptomatic" Covid patient. We already have the bomb/gunpowder & pot sniffers. Did you ever want to know what the dogs are saying about that when lying around and talking over a beer?
And what happens when they indicate a positive? Do the people in those full decontamination suits swarm whoever it is?
As long as they don't have them for full diapers....

We shouldn't be surprised. Dogs, depending on breed & individual, have between 20,000 to 50,000 times better sense of smell than we do. I think it is 50 more kinds of sensors than we have.
While we are sequestered at home, here's something to do. The best book I know about, very readable, is Alexandra Horowitz's "Being a Dog: Following the Dog Into a World of Smell".
Also, try Cat Warren's "What a Dog Knows".

Of course, the number of errors reads devastating at first. However, I would be careful to make such a sweeping judgment. If you read carefully, it says "fake weapons". I guess it was about the shape recognition. That can be very difficult with plastics. If you look at the working conditions of the people, I'm not surprised that there are errors in the recognition of such replicas happen.

Of course, this is undoubtedly a risk, because in the end no one knows whether the weapon is real until it is fired. Nevertheless, the people do a good job - they find real weapons and explosives with a much higher probability. Of course, one can get upset about the TSA, but in the end, from my point of view, such controls are unfortunately necessary. It's just sad that there is so little support from the government.

I got stopped a couple of years ago by the Amsterdam equivalent of the TSA when their body scanner picked up what must have been a tiny bit of moisture in my dry pull-up disposable. After a quick pat-down I was asked and acknowledged that I was wearing a "diaper". I was led away to a private room and required to partially disrobe. While I was gone my wife was told by a female officer that the machine was extremely sensitive to detecting moisture.

@bdsilver wow the ones in America must not be sensitive at all because I had had a full void before I went into the body scanner

@bdsilver oh I’ve had humiliating tsa experiences before. I was in my wheelchair and couldn’t walk so I had to have a pat down. The tsa agent said he “felt something hard” in my crotch area. They took me to a private room and I had to pull my pants down. The tsa agent groped me and had another one grope me as well because he didn’t believe that it was my diaper. The second agent said it was and I was free to go. I wasn’t even wet.