Disability lawyer TSA

Use the search (magnifying glass) option to look for terms like “TSA” and “flying” to see what others have had to say about this in the past.

This really is dreadful. I’m so sorry you’ve had to go through this. I’ve been terrified of flying for the past five years since I’ve had neurogenic bladder, and now I’m even more scared!!!!!!

These are terrible stories. You are being denied your civil rights. People in positions of power who abuse their power can do horrible things to other people for no other reason that they can.

I was also going to suggest getting a letter from your doctor stating your situation. TSA agents need more and better training, for sure.

@Maymay941 Yes, thank you for bringing that up.

Having a doctor's note, while not legally necessary, regarding incontinence and use of adult briefs (diapers) paired with a TSA Disability Card (link to print) will resolve situations like these a little faster.

Just ask to speak with a supervisor before matters escalate or you get taken to a private screening. That'll change the tone before the young bucks go sideways like @Trucker's scenario here.

I've modified one for fellow members of the group who travel. You shouldn't have to worry about carrying this, but it is nice to have. If you have any doubt or anxiety about flying, call in advance to the TSA care line printed on the card, to address your concerns in advance. They'll document your flight/name so that issues like these don't boil over.
6c44736c3b1dd5266a7f63a7c8e50570.png

That sounds awful Trucker, I’ve never had any issues with the TSA in Dallas, only time I’ve ever set off the scanner was when I went thru already wet and when they patted me down, I just said quietly to the agent “I have bladder control issues and need protection” it was a little uncomfortable being patted down but the agent was discrete and I didn’t get detained or anything. I wish I had some advice to give you but I don’t. Praying everything works out and your able to get home.

@matttyco
Thank you for the card.
I have card from our motor vehicle admin but that is definitely a good thing to keep as well.
Appreciate the link!

Thank you mattyco, this info helped diminish my fear somewhat, will definitely print out the card or have it on my phone.😊

855 787 2227is TSA cares phone number Trucker. I suggest you ask for a supervisor when you get through the menu of options and explain that you were detained and put on np fly list because you are incontinent of urine and the agent did not believe in this disability. Now you need assistance as your civil rights are violated but getting to fly home us your priority and their responsibility to assist you to do so.

This is unreal!!! And it began when you were told "You're too old to be wearing diapers." That in itself is a major personal affront and would entitle you to some kind of compensation. But even more blatantly, your civil rights are being violated right and left and those responsible for detaining you should be held accountable! There is absolutely no excuse for this. I don't see how in good conscience the TSA could so blatantly shrug off and so rudely denigrate those with incontinence issues as so many people have it. The TSA needs to get with the times and revamp their training completely. The whole thing is so wrong! Trucker, please call the numbers listed above and do get with a good criminal lawyer as your rights have been crushed to nothingness. The damned TSA is acting like it's a third world para-military outfit and this is totally inexcusable.
Our thoughts are with you and I hope you can get back home soon and get justice for this major atrocity you have been subjected to.

I found a lawyer here in Hawaii. He is willing to take the case on a commission basis. He also willing to pay for a private flight home. With that being said he wants 45% or reimbursement of the flight if 45 doesn’t cover the flight. If he doesn’t win it’s free. Don’t know much about lawyer fees what’s everyone’s thoughts good deal?

Find out what the flight costs so you know your max down side, if the flight costs $15000 and you get $0 that means you’d pay $15000 private flight isn’t cheap and Hawaii to LA (or anywhere in the west coast) is a pretty long flight.

Yeah, I have no idea on lawyer's fees but I'd make sure to find out what the flight costs before agreeing, make sure your not potentially standing to lose thousands, although is the agreement that the most you pay for the flight is what you win in a lawsuit so if 45% is more than the flight than he just gets a higher percentage. If their is no risk then I would take the offer.

Also ask him to clarify how that works with any taxes on the settlement or judgement. Are you taxed on the whole settlement or just the 55% you keep? Some settlements are taxed but I’m not sure what types are and aren’t.

The way he explained it to me if the flight is $10,000 and he only wins 9,000 then he gets all 9000 and I don’t owe the other 1,000 but if i wins 100,000 he gets 45,000

Whatever you agree to get it in writing in plain English you can understand. Go over it line by line, if you have a second reader who is well educated it would be good.

trucker said:
The way he explained it to me if the flight is $10,000 and he only wins 9,000 then he gets all 9000 and I don’t owe the other 1,000 but if i wins 100,000 he gets 45,000
That seems fair. I think the percentage is a bit high but he is taking up front risk with the flight so that’s worth something.