How do you handle no urge/signal?

@billliveshere well said Bill, I totally agree and have the same problem. Your explanation is the best and having that extra protection with you is the best advice and has worked for me many times having an accident.

I am in my early 30's, my issues began mid to late 20's if memory serves correct. I spent time assembling a few carepacks as I call them yesterday, it will hold 1 pullup, wipes, seat covers, hand sanitizer, and my wallet. I will be carrying about a weeks worth of pullups to work but then my bases are covered for awhile. ISC comes with its own risks and benefits, for me it did help prevent leaks but I am probably going to always be in this OAB/PFD/IC flux. Its something I will face a day at a time because tommorow is unpredictable, as with any chronic condition.

@AlasSouth I have yet to see anyone yet about this issue but Im hoping my past urologist overlooked something, either that or we weren't focused on the right issue *kidneys or nerves*. I am hoping shortly to get medical answers soon because I think I have either Fibromyalgia or MS overlap with another one of my chronic neurological conditions.

Hi @laalaauk, It's good to hear from your again and I am really happy to be able to help you get through some rough spots!
And @Koigal, once again you are thinking beyond the box (to use a well worn cliché!)and you have shown everyone here that being prepared is the best defense. You are so right in that tomorrow is unpredictable regardless of whether one has or has not a chronic condition. Those who say "it will never happen to me" will be caught short one day and boy, what a rude awakening!! But that wouldn't likely happen to you!!

Hi @Phil6003, I'm sorry to see you had issues with your prostatectomy and hopefully at some point you'll be able to resume your progress with your career.
But I have to say that you are lucky to be working where you are working given that your employer has allowed you the time off you needed to recover and also the flexibility to adjust your work hours. It sounds like they have bent over backward to help you keep a job and an income.
But I can tell you one thing: not all employers show that kind of humanity and compassion! Not by a long shot! But I have the impression that things in New Zealand are very much civilized and very humane there! I think you'll admit that the only thing "down side" about New Zealand is that it is so far away from most places!!! But maybe that's a good thing since it wouldn't do to ruin a place by having too many people come over!!!

@phil6003. Your situation sounds very similar to mine. Struggling with recovery. 8 weeks from surgery tomorrow and went back after 6. Was allowed 2 days at home but still difficulty coping is an understatement. Stressed out, constant pass through bladder, haven't slept more than 2 hours continuously since before surgery. Got frustrated with a work issue last week and left. Now, as a supervisor, I am under investigation.

If you don't mind sharing. What are you doing to help cope? I called eap and will meet with a counselor hopefully soon.

Thanks.

I have two main ways of dealing with it. Whilst I do get the urge, if I'm hydrated I can forget about getting to the toilet in time as it's pretty instantaneous these days. It ultimately boils down to healthy vs. unhealthy. I've been away recently and so it's something that I've been thinking about a lot.

The unhealthy method:
Method: I load fluids before leaving home and drink nothing/little when out.

Pros:
If I'm dehydrated I have more time to act on the urge and thus am far less likely to have an accident and leak. After dribble is still an issue though so protection is a must. Also, an accident isn't completely ruled out.

Cons:
Very unhealthy and it makes me feel very ill. Indeed, us Covid long haulers are recommended to drink 2-3 litres a day. Unfortunately, it just isn't always possible to be able to change. It's so difficult for me to change standing up these days and whilst pre-wheelchair I could bring a changing mat to lie on (Care Designs do a great one), nowadays the wheelchair often leaves me no room. Ultimately many 'accessible' toilets really aren't accessible.

The Healthy Method:
Method: Drink what I want when I want.

Pros:
Health. Enough said really!

Cons:
High capacity nappies are essential which means more expense and given that (here in the UK anyway) the mainstream brands don't do products that are that absorbent (at least for my needs, enough leaks have told me that!) that ultimately often means nappies with embarrassing prints. Discretion is also more difficult although I've found the right clothing choice can hide any bulk. Plus, I use autism friendly popper vests and jumpsuits under clothing which stop that embarrassing peek above the waistband.

Full voids increase the chances of leaks - I've had the highest capacity product on the market leak on me on occasion so it's always a risk, making clothing choice and a well equipped changing bag essential. I travel in gym shorts and change into something more appropriate (i.e jeans) if necessary for the occasion when I arrive as the gym shorts are lighter so if they get damp, easy to scrunch up, bag up and put away. I also put DryNites bed mats in a cushion cover on my wheelchair seat so that doesn't get wet. In a changing bag I include a change of clothes which isn't too bulky and heavy - another pair of gym shorts and another popper vest/zipper jumpsuit.

Care Designs do a bag for their Changing Mat which is waterproof so it's great for storing any damp clothing.

You need a good place to change - As said above this isn't always doable. If there's a Changing Places toilet and/or one big enough for the wheelchair and a space for the changing mat I can stay hydrated, if not, I can't. Main advice is to know where the good toilets are.

Ultimately I suppose the bottom line is it's very hard to cope with bad incontinence meaning it's often just easier to dehydrate which isn't healthy.

@Sci_Fi_Fan I also feel torn about the dehydrated state I try to maintain. I know some people say being dehydrated agitates their bladder; not so with me. It’s a huge relief in frequency, urgency, and spasm intensity to be dehydrated. But it’s so bad for the rest of the body to be dehydrated. There’s no 100% good option for us.

@snow It's exactly the same for me. I do have to urinate more frequently when dehydrated but can make it in time most of the time. The choice for me boils down to stay hydrated and urinate less frequently and more predictably but with no control or dehydrate and urinate more frequently and more erratically with more control. It ultimately boils down to facilities. It's also quite staggering given many wheelchair users use a wheelchair due to neurological issues/conditions which can cause incontinence so not including stuff like a big bin and a changing bench is a massive oversight.

Hi @billliveshere and @Nocontrol.
I know that I'm really lucky with my employer. There are plenty of bad ones here in NZ just like anywhere else.
It really helped me that I had been with my employer for 10+ years before I had my operation. I had built good relationships across the organisation - and had accumulated a LOT of sick leave and quite a bit of back-leave which I was able to use. Along with my recovery falling across a Christmas vacation I was able to take 3 months straight recovery time before I went back to work.

@Nocontrol I really feel for you. I can't imagine how I would have coped if I had tried to go back 6 weeks from surgery - which must be less than 5 from catheter removal.

What I can say is no one can expect you to pick up a full workload yet, or to work right through an 8 hour workday. You should not expect this of yourself.

Your body is still dealing with a major trauma, and on top of this you are trying to work out how to live with the new reality of incontinence. It takes energy to learn how to deal with this, and lots of energy to heal. You will feel exhausted after just a couple of hours work - and you'll make mistakes and you'll struggle to have any patience either with yourself or with others.

These are all perfectly normal things to expect when you are getting over major surgery. Any halfway decent workplace should know this and should have worked with you on a "back to work plan" before you walked back through the door.

Obviously they didn't think they needed a plan (or just didn't think at all). But you can still try to put something in place now. You clearly need help to get through this.

You have already taken the best first step - booking a talk with EAP. They are usually great and can advocate for you - or give you the tools to advocate for yourself.

I suggest before you talk to EAP you decide what outcome you want to work towards. This depends on your situation, but things you could consider are:

* take more time off to recover.
* go down to a 3 day week for a while.
* work half-days rather than full days.
* work 2 or 3 days from home each week.
* step down from your supervisor role and do less stressful work for a few weeks.
* have management tell your colleagues that you are recovering from surgery and to not put you under pressure and lighten your load and at least to cut you some slack.

You should also ask for practical help to manage your disability, such as:
* access to a locker for storing pads and spare clothes:
* a set desk space that is close to bathrooms (really useful if your wokplace has hot-desks)
* access to disabled toilets and a shower.
* extra breaks and extra time during breaks. (It takes more time to change a pad and do good skin-care than to use the toilet).

In my case I tried all the above at different times. They all carry benefits and costs so you are the best person to know what will work for you.

But my key piece of advice here is to be clear in your own mind about what you want to happen. Go in with that already settled in your mind and the conversation with EAP will then be about how best to make it happen.

Good luck with this - and remember ...

* if all else fails hire an employment lawyer to be your advocate.

You deserve the chance to recover from your surgery and then pick your career up again.

I really hope things work out for you.

Excellent advice @Phil6003! Surgery is always an invasion of your body and having something like that does take time to recover. There are no two ways about it. It's very true you'll be more tired for a period and it's best to just take it one day at a time and not really push yourself to work 8 hour days. No one should expect you to just hop out of the hospital ready and rarin' to go to work!!!
But I hope you can meet very soon with your EAP as soon as you can and use the talking points outlined here by @Phil6003.
Good luck and best wishes for a continuing and uneventful recovery.

@Phil6003 Wow, you’re so lucky your employer helped you out in those ways. It’s totally unlikely anything like that would be possible at an American job. Nobody would ever get three months off work for a medical procedure; they’d just be fired and replaced. I know a lot about the difference between a job in NZ and a job in the US because I was married to a Kiwi and spent a lot of time in NZ. American jobs are hell compared to jobs in NZ. Most Americans only get five days of paid vacation per year and aren’t allowed to accrue it for longer than one year at a time (meaning you use it each year or you lose it). We also work far more hours than most Kiwis - or Brits or Germans for that matter. Being so overworked is a huge part of why American society is so screwed up and we’re so bitter at large.

The second you make any complaint or special request at a job is the same second they start looking for ways to fire you. The legality of firing someone is harder for an employer in the more socially responsible states like glorious California. By contrast, here in ultra conservative Utah, an employer can fire an employee at any time, for any reason, with no warning, and they don’t even have to tell you why you were fired. So you can see why most Americans are terrified of their employers and of taking bathroom breaks, let alone taking time off work for a serious medical procedure.

@Phil6003 Also, not sure how it is over there in NZ but to retain a lawyer in the US costs at least $5,000 up front before they even do any work. The average American only has one month of savings - not $5,000. Also, because the courts here are so backed up (wayyyyy before COVID started - so now it’s way worse!), it would take 2-3 years before a court would issue a ruling. So unfortunately hiring an employment attorney doesn’t work here. It’s extremely unlikely an employee would actually win against an employer because an employer has so much more money they can throw at a good legal team while an employee likely does not. There have only been a few cases where the employee actually wins their case.

Socially, NZ is very much more pleasant and responsible than ultra-capitalistic America.

Hi Snow, I think one of the reasons why NZ is so pleasant and socially responsible is it's a much smaller country (Area and population-wise) than the U.S. In other words things are much more manageable there. But that isn't to say there are no companies there that aren't good places to work. I'm sure they have their fair share of companies where you wouldn't be caught dead working for them!
Over here covid has gotten the best of most of this country and many companies are short-staffed and therefor everyone is more short-tempered (workers and customers)!!! I have seen this in the local major supermarket chain where I shop. They have many new people and some of them give you the impression they were hired right off the street and their attitudes show it! Plus the fact they are now frequently out of stock on things I'm looking for and the prices have skyrocketed as well. So no wonder things are such a mess!
Your comments about in some places it's harder to fire someone than in other places is also interesting. Florida is among those ultra conservative states where people work for lower wages than in some place like California or New England, and are always scared of losing their job.

@billliveshere you are right about one thing for sure, companies cannot keep people and turn over is high. You would think this would be a wake up call for companies to care more about their employees, but that isn't realistically how US society has been set up recently. Full time jobs are becoming more rare, and on top of that benefits are even more rare. It is going to be interesting to see what happens in the US.

Yes it will be interesting to see what happens here but definitely also scary!!!
I agree that this whole mess should be a wake-up call for companies to care more about their people rather than just caring about the bottom line. But unfortunately that's the way society is nowadays. And competition from the western Pacific countries is what's killing us.
And the days when you started at a company and stayed there until retirement are long gone! I can name only one person I know who did that. He worked at the Bic shaver company in Verona, Virginia literally from the day he left the Navy until he retired 30 years later!!! That just doesn't happen in this day and age! If most people can last a year with their job then that is saying something!!!
And as for benefits???? It's coming down to the point where the only benefit is you get to come in to work!!!! And you get paid!!! I wonder if companies still have gold watches stored in a closet for when people retire!!!!???? Those watches are collecting dust most likely!!!

@billliveshere @Koigal Yes, we are living in interesting times, even if they are not exactly the most fun times. I have personally seen a massive change here in UT where the only companies who can’t find workers, are the ones who refuse to pay the $15 living wage, nor benefits. I laugh at the idiocy, futility, and contempt of those companies. This underground, employee-rights revolution proves we don’t need the feds to raise the minimum wage; we can simply enforce it by refusing to work for less. I have certainly raised my salary requirements.

Minimum wage is the same $7.25 now that it was when I was 18. Now I’m 45, and it’s still $7.25. To exceed the current federal poverty line, one must earn $8.19/hour. Absurd: someone who earns minimum wage falls below the federal poverty line?! So inappropriate and cruel. I wish Biden would have tackled minimum wage before trains and bridges.

I make much more than minimum wage, but I don’t live much differently than I did when I was 18 earning $7.25/hour because the cost of living is now so ridiculously high. I actually think minimum wage should be $25/hour. Get with the times, government. Everything from a McDonald’s combo meal to groceries to gasoline to rent costs 2-4x as much money as it did when I was 18. It’s time for major wage and salary adjustments.

Or, companies could stop being so profit-greedy and lower their prices, but we all know that will never happen.

Yes, @billliveshere , we really do live in the United Countries of America, and not the United States of America. Most states are the size of countries and have as much local culture as would a neighboring nation. We are 50 countries, which is a great part of why America is so complicated.

You and I can feel for one another, living in such weird states… errr, countries.

@billliveshere By the way - I just barely figured out your ID name is “Bill Lives Here.” This whole time I’ve been seeing it as your first and last name “Bill Liveshere,” which would be an interesting last name indeed.

Well, sometimes I think Florida is a whole other country!!! I mean just look at the way all of these "countries" have their ways of dealing with covid!! Some of them are serious about mandating masks and getting everyone vaccinated and making sure cases don't spread like wildfire and others couldn't care less! Look at DeathSantis over here, and Abbott in Texas! "We don't need no stinkin' federal aid or nothin' like that to help us with covid! Covid is just a hoax! So go ahead an' git all your friends together and party away!!!"
Yeah!!! But guess what???? Some of us didn't vote for these clowns and some of us take covid seriously!!!! And guess what again!!!! Some of us hope that come election day we can run those bozos right out of town on a rail and give 'em the bum's rush!!!
But given how much the cost of just the basics like food and gas, rents, utilities, insurance, etc., just how do they think that someone making minimum wage (or next to it) will cope with being able to pay for all of those necessities???
And if the companies that are so bent on making profits were to become humane and not raise prices anymore (or even better, lower them) then how would those poor downtrodden CEOs and COOs be able to buy the latest Mercedes or be able to buy their fifth vacation or weekend home???? How can we the people be so selfish as to deny those hard-working CEOs their silky smooth German-made rides????
OK, so much for my sarcastic rant for the day!!!! But yes these are interesting times, even if they cost us dearly in every way!!! And definitely not what we'd call the most fun of times either!!
And Snow, Liveshere would be an interesting last name indeed!!! (I wonder if people would think it's German or Swedish or Polish, or Swahili?) But I have to break the bad news and tell you that isn't my name!! I did it that way because I am joining the forum from where I live....which is here!!!!

@billliveshere Your post made me laugh a lot! Thanks for that! I agree with everything you said. And clever, “DeathSantis”! I hadn’t heard that before, but I love it and I concur! I’ve been very grateful I don’t live in FL or TX. The new guv in UT is alright, for the requisite conservative in that role. I can imagine him applying mask and vaccine mandates but at the beginning of the year, the legislature stripped him of his power to do so, as well as his power to declare emergencies. Sad.