Heavy bed wetting at night

Archives1

Staff member
Hi. I'm on here for info for my Mom. She has been having issues with nighttime bed wetting while she sleeps. She also has some incontinence during the day. She has been to doctors and they don't know what it is or what to do for her. They told her to retrain her bladder, do keigels, not drink before bed, etc. But nothing has helped. This has been going on for over a year now. She has also had a sleep study which only showed mild sleep apnea. Any suggestions on what she can do, who she can see, questions to ask, blood work, tests?
Thank you!
Shauna

I would search the internet for adult diapers companies and contact them to get advice and samples to fit your situation. You can ask 100 people and get 100 answers. Hope this helps.

If you have medical insurance, mention to them about the Purewick external catheter and see whether you can get it through your insurance provider. It is expensive and to my knowledge, you can hire one to try for a period of time to see if it is successful for your Mum.

Aside from that, cloth diapers with high waist plastic pants have been found to be a successful form of protection through the night. If cloth is not preferable, Northshore have an excellent range and could help you over the telephone.

I am sure she has been tested for diabetes?

Good luck sorting her out.

I hope she has been checked for diabetes. I'm not saying this will be the cause but with me it is the main cause of my incontinence and nightly bedwetting.

Thank you. She has to wear the diaper underwear plus thick pads at night and she still can leak through. I believe she has been tested for diabetes and it was fine. Has any ladies heard of pelvic floor prolapse? I just heard about that being a thing causing incontinence.

In my lifetime, I always look for the simple answers that might be there in plain site. Has anything over the past year changed in her life? If she is healthy for her age it might be something emotional. Then it could be something much more complicated.

It sounds like she needs both a short term and long term strategy. First, she needs better protection at night to allow her to manage the problem while she seeks a solution. It can be an emotional challenge to move from a protection product that is designed to look like normal underwear to what we all know is a diaper. If she can handle that issue there are many products that will help her. She should also consider adding a cover either PUL or plastic (pants). Keeping the problem contained and the bed dry can help her get a good night's sleep.

Next, she may need to upgrade her medical team. If she has not seen a urologist that should be the next step. If she has seen one then it is time to look for a second opinion. She should also work on addressing her daytime continence issues. Physical therapy may be a good option.

First stop not to drink before bed does not help. Let your mum stop drinking by 7 P.M. Than eat only dray food. I mean food as sandwich , pizza and no fruit also. Can your mum get up at night and change her diaper and put on a fresh one? It helps too. And the last your mum should also see GYN doctor.Good lack.

Mom has seen urologist, a gynecologist urologist, and her regular gynecologist. The gyno urologist was going to let her do botox down there but then he left so she was left high and dry yet again and the others wouldn't touch that treatment.

She is literally at her wits end. She has tried pills, underwear diapers, diets changes, drinking habit changes. Thank you all for your advice.and tips.

@ShaunaTrela Well I can vouch for Botox and the last time I had 30 injections and found that I wet 500mls less during the night. The side effect though is incomplete bladder emptying requiring intermittent catheterisation every 2 hours. It is difficult to find solutions and I wish you the best going forwards.

@ShaunaTrela I would say you are both doing the best you can. It is hard to have this happen, I can relate to much of it. As you know we are here for you and her, as you are here for all of us.

On Friday, I had another bladder instll, and 2 nurses do this, after they were done, one of them said can I help you get a brief on? I said no I thought I was ok. She then said lets do this together. Yes I needed the help. But we worked together. I wanted to hug her,,, but I couldnt

@laalaauk would catheterization be something that she could just do at night? I've read that it can cause UTIs. And the botox is something that my mom found and was really promising for her until that dr left. Now no one else will do it. She's in a smaller area but is ready to drive the 5 hours to Cleveland clinic. She's desperate.

Which Cleveland clinic, Florida or Ohio? Cleveland Clinic has excellent doctors. Mine also left the clinic. He promised he wouldn't. but did about 9 months ago. Found another one there, who is just as good, but booked solid until June.

@ShaunaTrela Hi,

Do you think you could catheterise your mum? Reason being, for an elderly person who might have sight or dexterity deficiency, they might find it really difficult to locate the urethra. Also it crosses boundaries with mother and daughter, evolving your relationship to a carer. If you consider all the options and still want to go ahead, yes, she could have her bladder emptied last thing at night but I would suggest using one every 2 hours to ensure urine is regularly drained rather than festering in her bladder. Another option could be medication to slow her urine production at night. This would need discussing with a doctor.

@laalaauk unfortunately I live across the country from my mom so am ina le to help her. She is capable of doing things herself as she is only 72. She also has her husband with her.
She is looking at the ohio one. I'm not sure how far she's gotten into that plan yet.
Despite me being across country from her, I visited her last January and saw how much she wets at night and how upset it makes her. It's only continued since then and we talk constantly so she keeps me up to date on her condition.