Diapers and Sweating

I don’t know of any of you have tried using real old fashioned cloth during the hotter months? Kins sells a variety of Velcro diapers that fit just like a disposable and are very easy to change. Whenever I feel I’m starting to get skin irritation I switch to the cloth with the lightweight Taffeta waterproof pants. Amazingly comfortable compared to a disposable during the very muggy months of summer here in North Carolina, and I’ve never had a leak. I think the natural cotton fibers are just more comfortable against the skin. I also use the cloth when at home to help cut down on costs.

I can relate to the comments about onesies being awkward to unbutton in a hurry. I too suffer from urge issues (I think I probably suffer from OAB in addition to having after-dribble issues, it would explain a lot of my difficulties over the years). It's not much of an issue during lockdown of course.

Board shorts are great, I've found the fabric can be quite noisy so they completely negate the noise issue of plastic backed products.

Sprung87 - I have contemplated reusable cloth products but worry about the cleaning of them. Are they easy to maintain? Plus, is there much odour protection? Odour is the main reason I started using protection, in addition to comfort.

Added: I've been using a good antiperspirant cream called 'below the belt' which has worked wonders. I've been sweating a lot less.

Hey ScI-Fi,
I use an overpant even with disposables as I can get leaks at the back of my thighs even with the best disposables, especially when it’s the first wetting. I still have large thighs from years of biking & extreme hiking. I also get full bladder purges after sitting for extended periods, especially when driving any distance. Nothing happens until I stand up, or in my case climb down from my Jeep, then it can’t seem to empty fast enough! This can cause overflow leaks, even with the best protection. Kind of reminds me of when traveling with all of my 11 siblings as kids, the minute the Chevy Impala “Estate Wagon” came to a stop all ports would blow open and all of us Minions would explode out in all directions, like little balls of stored energy!
I worry much more about odor than noise. I had to start using protection back In the 80’s when disposables sounded like you had your pockets stuffed with trash bags! I had also lost bowel control, so I immediately became hyper-aware of the associated smells. Eventually I got bowel control back to about 99%, but I’ll never lose the odor vigilance. So the pants give me that peace of mind so I don’t have to think about it. Also in regards to cleaning, I simply throw them in the bottom of the shower while it gets up to warm in the morning to rinse out. Wring them out and toss in a pail for 1-2 days tops. Instead of using the dryer, I use a cheap $10 rack off eBay or Amazon to air dry them. It’s a system, like anything it takes a bit of time to get used to, but I don’t even think about it anymore, nor does my wife! I hope this might help

it's terrible in the summer. I live in SoCal in one of the valleys and it regularly hits 100 degrees. Wearing a plastic diaper during those days it brutal. Lucking I work in an air conditioned office, well home in air conditioned house during COVID. The key is to change more often and just let the air get at your skin a bit more. I even use the cloth backed diapers sometimes on really hot days, though I don't think that really makes a whole lot of difference since there's still a micro perforated plastic barrier under the "cloth".

I never use powder because it just becomes gross sweat paste lol.

Hi friend, I'm going to put a plug in for the products I use and like, I'm not a spokesperson or etc but I found Lume a cream type deodorant for all the body from pits to privates lumedeo.com is non irritating and while does prevent sweat which the body does to cool and eliminate toxins does deodorize completely so I feel comfortable.
The other product I like for any skin irritation or just dry skin is Quiet the Storm by Nebulae fabnebulae.com. another small company natural product.
And this from a woman who just advised Thatflguy I eat McDonalds and chick fila on the regular because it WORKS FOR ME.
I can imagine plastic backed diaper is going to make one sweat.
I have nocturia as my primary issue and I simply have to use bath towels on a bed pad and wash them every morning and wash my cotton comforter at least weekly. Window in bedroom open 24 7 year round.So that how I manage the sweat issue.

Bit of an update. I got a case of the non-plastic backed Tena slips and with the use of an anti-perspirant cream have found that that's really helped with the sweating issue in the heat (although it cooled down not long after they arrived!). Have to say I'm impressed with the slips, whilst I don't feel as protected against any massive accidents (which fortunately are a pretty rare occurrence, but I fear may become more common with all the queueing and the lack of public toilets due to the pandemic) I think they're a good compromise. I went for a long walk today and didn't need to change them the second I got in due to sweating.

Whilst there are the issues that cotton-backed products have, I found that the tapes, being truly refastenable, mean that it's much easier to maintain a good fit.

I like the rustling joke from Itapilot too! I think there also would be rustling if the cowboy wore chaps and vest made with plastic shopping bags as well. Even cowboys can't win on some days! But seriously with the sweating issue if anyone here lives in Florida you'd know what's up with that! I wear pull-ons which aren't backed with plastic but are cloth. And the Prevail brand that I'm using now doesn't heat up unreasonably when out on a blazing hot summer day. In another post today I mentioned I tried the Caroli brand pull-ons (an import from Germany) and they were quite warm as they are more bulky than the Prevails. Hmmmm, maybe it doesn't get as hot in Germany?