Trying to reduce stress on my knees (this has to do with incontienence)

What a mess AlasSouth! In the early days of joint replacements there were some pretty bad devices. What disturbs me though was that your doctor discounted your pain? or uncomfortableness. I had been seeing a doctor about lower back pain for a couple years and got physical therapy but it didn't help that much. One day I went to the doctor and saw a woman intern. When I described my pain to her she had X-rays taken of my pelvis. The cartilage was gone and the ball in the hip joint was half worn away. She scheduled me for a total hip replacement a month out. By the time I had the surgery I was in a wheelchair.

I had the replacement in 2000 and it's still doing well. I asked the surgeon how many of those operations he'd done. He said he did 356 a year. He was really good! But can you imagine sawing a leg bone at least once a day for a year? Whoa!!! He retired in 2001. My hip joint is ceramic and metal and a metal rod goes part way down through my thigh bone. I wonder what that does to the marrow? Since I was getting financial aid help from the University of New Mexico Hospital health plan, they didn't give me any rehabilitation. Just some sheets of paper showing how to do the exercises. I religiously did the exercises and almost to the day one year from the surgery I was suddenly aware that I had no pain and felt better than I had for a few years. I have had some bursitis a couple times in the last five years, but feel like that's okay; the surgeon didn't expect the replacement to last over 15 years. I have it X-rayed every two years.A friend of mine wasn't so lucky. She had the first one redone two more times before it worked and she was in her 70s. My mother had one in her 70s also but did okay. I wonder what is the key element or elements that makes these operations successful?

Do you know the name of the device that went into your knee? What is the success rate?

My nanny had her knee replaced and when they did it she had to stay in hospital for five days (Part due to her age, and part so she could get up and move) then she was going to my uncle's house to recover tell she was good enough to get up and down her steps at home.

Well the second day she was up and walking the nurse came in to check on her and looked at her leg. Well the implant had broken and they had to re-due the surgery. She ended up in the hospital for a total of three weeks because they wanted her to be really okay.

She took it like a champ. Like well, get me fixed up so I can go home and watch general hospital. HAHA her fav show.

I remember (after I had that first knee replacement) reading about the knees that got recalled. They carefully don't tell you the brand & model of the replacement joint. Maybe they do now. I don't think Consumer Reports review knees, although they may have had a story mentioning recalls. I wanted the candy apple red with the 354 engine, Hurst shift, and the towing package. I think I got the mud brown Yugo with the Hamster cage.
I'm currently recovering from hand surgery - by the same clinic who did the original surgery that went bad 10 years later; different doctor did this one, though. If I could have safely flown, I'd have gotten it done in Seattle.
Speaking of Debt Collection Agencies, Consumer Reports has had articles about the industry. They want Congress to do something about the shady business practices (good luck with that).

And good luck with getting Congress to do anything constructive these days!!! All they do now is bicker about why their party is better than the other one!!! A broken system if ever there was one!!!!
I had to laugh at your reference to a mud brown Yugo with a hamster cage engine!!!!
I don't know when I last saw a Yugo!!! If I did, I would probably laugh, just like I've done on the rare occasions I've seen an Edsel floating around somewhere!!!

At least a Edsel ran - was as safe as it's times (well before seat-belts, etc). Was a teen in Detroit when it came out. Our favorite description was "an Oldsmobile sucking a lemon"! The derision! Hey! You could at least tell one car from another, back then. Easily. Instantly.
As a cheap vehicle, I think the Yugo was supposed to be a replacement of the VW Beetle, which had risen in price & safety - The Bug was advertised in about 1968 or so as "still under $1000 FOB New York". The bill boards didn't tell you what The Bug's transportation was from NY, or if you could actually get it for that by going to NYC!
Edsels were ugly, but they are collector times, now. Ford allowed the Edsel (son or grandson of Ford Sr.) as an experiment.
Well, the experiment that did work was the Mustang, in the 60s. Had the hot-rodders drooling!
And Congress agrees on one thing, Rs & Ds, by inaction, admittedly: not fixing the Medical System. We all know about that. But they get a lot of campaign donations from said industry. That's more important.
I haven't seen a Yugo in at least a decade. Are they even street legal? Maybe as a classic. Some states (like mine) use just the age as the criteria.

Hey I like that "an Oldsmobile sucking a lemon!" That is a very apt description!!! But that's so true, you can tell one car from another way back then and you didn't have all these floods of look-alike Japanese and Korean cars inundating the highways!! I could even tell a '55 Chevy from a '56 Chevy back then!
Following seeing your reference to the Yugo the other night I looked for pictures of it on Bing and Gawd, were they chintzy!!! A lot cheezier than I remembered them! The design looked like something someone in second grade would draw!!! Square taillights and square headlights and just no styling whatsoever. One of the pictures had a good description of how they were made and let's put it this way! I'm glad I didn't fall for the hype and being my usual cheap self, didn't get one!!!
But as you say, at least an Edsel ran, which you couldn't really say about the Yugo! But I know I haven't seen a Yugo in literally decades, even here in Florida, where, if it can be on wheels, anything goes!!! And down here I've seen a lot of real POS's here!!!

Whichever way Studebaker was going, it went away!
Bet there is a Edsel or five in Cuba, and maybe even a Yugo. Where in the world do they get parts for all those "classic" cars you see in stories and you-tube videos and Playing For Change videos, in the streets of Havanna?

AlasSouth, I saw a documentary one time that showed guys making the parts for their old cars. They are quite inventive.