Trying to reduce stress on my knees (this has to do with incontienence)

Archives1

Staff member
So I’m a right below the knee amputee. I have a paralyzed neurogenic bladder and deal with occasional bowel incontienence. I wear MegaMax when I’m out and have been wearing my backstock of betterdrys at home but will be switching to Northshore supremes with my next order. I often can’t wear my prosthetic leg leaving me to crawl around the apartment on my knees. I have a studio apartment so it’s not big but it’s enough to put a strain on my knees. In the main room I have my bed and by my bed I have a pack of diapers. The problem is when it’s time to have a bowel movement. I do my damndest to crawl to the bathroom. I also put on my diapers on my knees as I seem to get the best fit (I can’t seem to get the tapes right laying down). I don’t know if anyone will have any suggestions or ideas for me but I thought I’d throw it out there to see what folks think. Thanks.

My brother-in-law often couldn't wear his prosthetic leg too. It seemed to rub a sore on his leg. He preferred his wheelchair. But of course my sister had to help him with that. He never let his disability get him depressed somehow. He had a naturally cheerful disposition. But I could see in his grimaces the pain that he endured. We are an indubitably emotionally strong species. Sometimes I think it's as if we are standing on the globe with our hands raised and our fists clenched, daring the elements to take us down. I do so admire your attitude of keeping on in spite of everything that you endure.

Have you tried to use any of the construction type knee protectors? A flooring contractor introduced them to me and they have a variety of types & styles. For the first time in years I was able to kneel on my right knee. It’s like having a shock absorber between your knee & whatever surface you’re kneeling on. I still can’t put any weight on my knee, but I can kneel down to fix plumbing, my Jeep etc. pain free with them on. Ask around, someone might have a spare pair to give you, or at least to tryout before you buy. Not too expensive either!
Hope this helps, glad to see you back Buddy!

I bought knee pads on Amazon but the damn things wouldn’t stay on. I have fluid in my knees from all the pressure. I try to remember to wear my brace which I also got on Amazon and seems to help a bit. It’s more my left knee than right.

Anyone have tips on putting diapers on laying down? While on my knees I can see down to know where to put the tapes but laying down is a shot in the dark!

@justej Hey, knee pads don’t work that well when you aren’t an amputee!

The best kind I prefer are DaKine snowboarding knee pads. I’ve had my pair for 22 years and they’ve seen thousands of full days on the snow and ice. Granted, they’re always covered by clothing so they don’t wear down. They’re neoprene and come in different sizes.

@Sprung87 The non-snowboarding knee pads I’ve tried are el cheapo construction ones. But my ex-husband had the expensive kind and they served him very well.

I had another thought(I adjust it & look at it every day as I’m getting dressed, brilliant huh??)My Wife is 5 foot and I’m 6 foot, so it’s constantly getting adjusted! Anyhow, if there are any used furniture shops in the area, or Target etc.??? We have one of those mirrors that that pivots in the middle. Stands on two feet (Sorry EJ, no pun intended!)so you don’t have to hang it, but you could easily tilt it down to see what you’re up to then tilt it back up when you’re all set & ready to go PARTY!! Hope this might help…

@justej

Have you used a walker? Not trying to seem silly but I know that for myself having a cart to hang onto while shopping helps a lot so I could see where a walker would help.

The other thing that I thought about for you would be one of those knee scooters. You can almost sit on it to get around your apartment.

If my back keeps getting worse I will not be walking around like I used to.

Also, I know there is a place near me owned by a church that has tons of things like walkers, knee scooters, and such that they all but give away. (My nanny got her walker from there for free after her knee surgery)

Don't have an answer on changing as I stand up and use the wall now.

I have both a walker and a knee scooter. The walker sits in the closet as my left leg isn’t strong enough to hold my body up. The knee scooter scares the crap out of me. I’ve fallen off twice before. Both times landing on my stump. Ouch. I’d have to move things around to be able to use it in this place. It’s just so small. Right now my wheelchair and bike are in the way of my knee scooter. Yea I could get rid of the bike but it was a gift and I have high hopes of riding again.

Re: the mirror. That’s too much. 🤣🤣🤣 but thanks for the suggestion

Attention Elon Musk, We need a diaper changing Robot!

That would fix all our problems but likely would cost too much.

I have a few simple ideas Like a cloth bag to go over the sensor on the public toilets so the dang thing does not flush ten times while I am trying the change.

Or a board to cover the public toilet that folds down so you can keep it in a backpack (Like a portable toilet seat cover so you have somewhere to sit)

@justej How about hanging your bike and wheelchair on sturdy wall hooks or ropes with a lowering system from the ceiling, to make way for your knee scooter? I agree that knee scooters are more challenging than they look. They look like they’d be fun and make you feel like a kid again, but no, they’re tough, especially over carpet humps.

justej: look up "pro-knees". They are different, doing the leg down to the feet, but re-enforced with a hard shell on the front/bottom. I'm fairly sure you'd have to have some sort of "adapter", but I think I can envision a design worth considiering, at least. If I can, a professional ought to be able to. Even with both knees replace, kneeling is painful enough I avoid it like the plague, but even before I had joint replacement, they allowed me to kneel-and-work. They are expensive, but last a long time and you can order replacement parts. Any chance your disability or insurance or anything else - like a referral from doctor or Physical Therapist, could get you in to see one of those groups that do limbs (like you must have gone to to get your prostetics?).
I really don't know much about your issue, but I do know not even many construction workers, floor installers, carpet installers know about pro-knees until they see someone using them. Most get converted. So if I'm too ignorant, please forgive me.
If necessary, if you need it, let me know by private message and I'll dig up the website or company or correct full name or anything else to get you connected. Private Message so I don't miss it.

@snow I don’t know that my apartment would allow that. I can move things around I guess. That knee scooter just scares me!

@AlasSouth Thanks for the tip. I’ll look them up. I’ll also ask my prosthetist if he can suggest something

snow: not sure I understand your question, but see if this clarifies.
Kneeling became worse and worse, over time, as arthritis damaged my knees. Walking/working on my feet was difficult and got worse. When I reached the place where I couldn't work without enough Ibubruphen to destroy my liver, and couldn't use opiate pain-killers (random testing for work, beside not wanting to get hooked.) the surgeon said the only answer was a TKR. (Total Knee Replacement). That allowed me to work at least 4 more years, got to the minimum retirement age. Then there was nothing more they could do. However, kneeling was uncomfortable, but not all that bad.
Knee replacements aren't all they are cracked up to be. Some people do "fine". Tell me: it's plastic & metal, so how could it hurt? But it does, for me. The P.T. is extended and notmuch fun, but necessary. They hand you a broshure before operation that makes/says recovery is like a walk in the park. Liars.
When I got my first one, I wondered why I hadn't do it earlier - years before I did get one. I know guys who got hip replacement and wondered the same thing and worked many years after getting one done.
Okay, then, after 2 years, the 1st one failed, but the doctor wouldn't believe me until about 1 3/4 years. They did the x-rays and said, "Oh. Yeah. Your replacement went bad." They had glued the replacement in, and the glue failed. Nice. They gave me the one they took out as a souvenier.
Second replacement on that same knee: got infected, I went into septic shock, total life support, 10 days in the ICU. In 2013. They took me off life support at day 11 to see what would happen. Then they stuck me in a regular ward. 3 days. Then warehoused me in a nursing home. A couple months & they hadn't cured the infection. An infectious disease doc took one look and said that artificial knee had to come out NOW. The next hospital took out the knee, replaced it with cement knee loaded with antibiotics. 6 weeks on more IV antibiotics and they said "it's cured". The 2nd hospital proceeded to replace the cement knee with a "real" TKR. Here I am today. The other knee has been replaced.
Oh. In case you are wondering, I spent much of my life on vibrating steel decks, which are harder on the body than cement floors. Arthritis has damaged more than my knees.
So, I confess. I'm a horse. Needed 4 knees.
I was just down in the crawl space. Even with soft things to kneel on, it is - at the least - very uncomfortable. Also hard to get up.
Sorry about the length. Did I answer the question?