Staying Hydrated vs Having Accidents

Thanks for the replies guys!

@laalaauk I'm a Medium and they've been out of stock for a while in that size. I've ordered a pack of Attends Regular Plus, Drylife Slip Xplus and GetNappied Little Rascals to see how they are. I'm hoping the first two will be comparable to the BetterDry in terms of absorbency. Refastenability is alas, less of an issue for me these days. I'd rather not use the printed products as whilst ultimately no one can see your underwear and I use them at home and when travelling due to the massive capacity some of them have, I'd feel weird wearing them in my professional life. I really wish the regular brands would up their game in terms of quality and absorbency. That's why I was overjoyed to find BetterDry - an insanely absorbent product which is plain and thus less embarrassing. It's weird for them to be out of stock for so long. I guess Covid is to blame.

@Brian60 Sleeping's a funny one. Before my issues worsened I was getting up several times every night to pee. Nowadays, I tend not to get up at night but I wake up at bursting point and pretty much instantly have an accident, usually when I'm still in bed. Whilst I have wet the bed since this has gotten worse, it's not common but I still feel like a bedwetter as I will wet the bed almost instantly after I wake up every morning like clockwork. It's strange. Ultimately, long-Covid has resulted in muscle weakness so I wonder if it's also caused muscle weakness in terms of my bladder. Nine times out of ten I don't make it to the toilet in time these days. I also need to make an osteopath appointment because my IBS is coming back with a vengeance as I've been putting off going due to the Covid risk.

Covid's really done a number on me. Feeling pretty down about it to be honest. My anxiety re sourcing products which are absorbent/protective enough just shows how dependent I am on them. If I could go back in time I would have stayed at home after the pandemic hit initially and not got into work that fateful week.

Anyone that has experienced UTI's know to never go dehydrated for long. I tend to drink a lot of water (unless I'm traveling) and always drink a full glass right before bed because of the health benefits. I rarely wet the bed unless I get erect during my sleep and then water or no water the bed's getting wet.

@Sci_Fi_Fan Thanks for helping me to understand the sleep situation. Right now, dealing with wetting sounds better than lack of sleep. Once, I get sleep, that judgement may change. Actually, I am doing better. I am improving. I can now go two hours of sleep, or a tad more. When I wake, the urgency is there and gosh darn, I think I'm going to make it... if I could just make it an instant longer... the floor wouldn't get wet.

Thanks for answering my question. Sleep is really important.

Sorry to hear you have to deal with IBS. My hope is that walking will help with the weakness. The only way to combat COVID fatigue is sunlight and movement.

Cheers,

@MrCatman Welcome to the group and hope you get some help here.

I am a big advocate for the external catheter and leg bag set up so feel free to message me with your questions and I will do my best to answer them.

Best regards.

@Brian60 Welcome Brian. Hope you get some help here too.

I use a 3 litre night bag and external catheter set up, I used to get up up to 6 times per night and was super draining. Now I can go during my sleep and get a full night sleep. It doesn't work for everyone but works for me.

@Sci_Fi_Fan My heart goes out to you. It is a dreadful time right now and losing Captain Tom this week seems to have hit me hard too and reminds us how evil this virus is.

I recently tried Attends regular plus in an XL size and the pad will last me all evening and I have only leaked once so far. They are a good pad and don't make you feel wet when you have wet in one. Drylife are really good and are built on the old Abriform x plus pad. If you don't mind wearing a print pad, Tykables Camelots hold 7 litres apparently and there are a lot of good reviews about this pad. It's semi printed too so it should not feel so bad wearing.

@Brian60 Have you tried keeping a urinal with a lid by the side of your bed so when you have to go, you can go in that to save your floor getting wet? Might be worth buying 2 so you can have one on the go and another drying after it has been washed out? The lid would keep smells inside and you could pour a tiny amount of disinfectant in the bottle before use to keep everything smelling clean.

@laalaauk Thanks for the thoughts on DryLife and Attends. The Camelots are amazing and I wear them overnight to contain my heavy morning leakage (and any overnight) and when travelling. Never had any leakage issue with them due to their insane capacity. They truly are the best product out there in my opinion and, as you say, there is a minimal print. The main barriers to them being my main product are twofold - 1) they are really indiscreet due to their bulk and noise and 2) the cost. Regardless of the other issue, it just isn't financially viable (you pay for what you get I suppose!).

Good news about the Drylife and the Attends. Ultimately, I now just need more absorbency than Tena offer. The Little Rascals appear to be the same as Rearz but cheaper. I've always got on with Rearz but again it's the cost issue. Whilst I'm now at a point where I value comfort more than being economical, I do try to keep costs down where I can.

Regarding staying hydrated - we've moved to online learning so the advantage is that if I have to go the toilet all the time it isn't so much of an issue as I can just leave the kids to get on with something. I'm just learning to deal with accidents when they happen. I've certainly felt much better physically since being more conscious about hydration.

it seems really odd in nature to say it, but hydration is so important as you deal with incontinence in my experience. Being dehydrated has led to smells, pains, and way worse outcomes than dealing with 1-2 extra changes a day. I firmly stand on dink often and drink clear liquids. No coffee, no soda, no tea. This was hard for me initially, but drinking water with some flavors from Mio or such really helps me. After years of going back and forth, I can tell a real difference between when I am good and not so good. If I drink what I want, I stink and smell it by lunch time. If you smell yourself, everyone around you definitely does! These days I drink clear liquids slowly but constantly. I might have to change, and I really hate to do that at work for logistics, but I will. Way better to deal with 5 min of agony than 4 hours of annoying others with smell or the pains of spasms and upset of the stomach.

@Sci_Fi_Fan

As a bedwetter only I know that my input is not as strong as those here who struggle with day issues, but I do notice a relationship between hydration and wetting.

Thankfully I only bedwet once or twice a month more or less. Yet I can attest to the hydration question. For me, I have noticed an increased chance of peeing the bed if I am over hydrated. Not a guarantee that I will, but an increased chance. Often after a good day of kayaking, hiking or mountain biking the chance that I might pee the bed is increased. I attribute this to being tired from the activity and the fact I have drunk more fluids than normal. I tend to drink a lot of water and water/Gatorade powered drink on the days I do activities.

After doing so I can be total dry or wet, but chances increase that I will wake wet in the morning.

So yes I get that increased hydration can leas to increased wetness.

JT

One of my number one issues is that when I cut back on H20 I have issues with pain in my kidneys and then sleep like crap, Vivid nightmares, dry mouth, waking up trying to catch my breath. I get non of that when I drink enough H20.

For me with everything I am on it is not okay to be under-hydrated.

@ThatFLGuy Sounds like how I get when I'm under-hydrated.

Really not impressed with the DryLife or the Attends to be honest. The GetNappied seem to just be Rearz and so up to the same standard. Think I'm just going to go - screw the designs, these'll keep me dry and I can refasten the tapes the times I do make it. I'm tired of the regular brands really not being up to snuff in terms of quality.

@laalaauk The tapes ultimately. Absorbency wise they're fine but didn't find the tapes as good as brands like Rearz and BetterDry. Being able to adjust them is a real bonus, especially as it means in the event I can make it to the toilet then I don't have to change product.

Be willing to explore different options, there is a myriad of different diapers out there. Attends and Rearz are on completely different ends of the spectrum. Explore some of the medium level brands out there. Tranquility, abena, Seni, Northshore has some medium level brands. Try samples and work your way up or down, until you find something that works, with less of an impact on budget.

Rearz stock a medical brand i think called In Control Hybrid elite. Bit of a mouthful but have heard great things about their tabs and absorbancy. Abu simples could also be good for tabs as they have a nice wide landing zone.

Both are good, along with BetterDry and MegaMax, they are my go to's. I play the price/shipping game but generally all are very close in capacity, fit, and price most days.

https://incontroldiapers.com/incontrol-elite-hybrid-adult-incontinence-briefs/ (rearz without the ABDL)

Thanks for the suggestion guys. Decided to stick with Incontinence Shop/Nappies R Us as they offer Saturday delivery and I'm out all week.

Gone for the Tykables Cammies (printed but the camo print makes them feel less like a nappy so I'd be happy wearing them in my professional life). The ink staining was an issue in the past but I'll trade that for the protection. Hook and loops are by far the best tapes out there. I was even getting frustrated with the Rearz tapes today after having to untape and retape to use the toilet.

Also gone for some terry lined training pants as they should offer some added protection overnight and in the morning.

Being comfortable both in protection and design is important. I do get rather pissy when and if I wear something with designs, bleeds to my other clothing. I have not tried the camos, but will put them on the list for later. I hear the MegaMax tiedie does not transfer, those are on the short list right now as I hear they have taller leak guards than the last version of MM. I need it as I wear a cloth booster that wicks the wet to the rear for better coverage and sometimes, the current MM line will wick out the half moons of myanus and leave marks on the darkside! Gotta make sure that cloth stays in the middle to avoid it. Plastic Pants help too, but sometimes it is too hot. The upside of hot is the half moon give-aways dry quicker....