Staying Hydrated vs Having Accidents

Archives1

Staff member
I feel that this is something that's been touched upon elsewhere but could use its own thread.

How good are you at staying hydrated and which do you tend to prioritise - staying dry or staying hydrated?

Since my issues have worsened, if I drink the recommended amount I'm essentially completely incontinent. At home that doesn't bother me as if I have a leak it's not the end of the world but I'm aware that I'm really not drinking enough at work. If I massively cut back I can make the toilet most of the time but it has left me feeling rough and I'm aware it's unhealthy.

I actually made a conscious effort to make sure I drank some water at work the other day and inevitably had an accident. I was wearing a BetterDry so no issues as they're really absorbent. I'm often pushed for time at work and so changing can be an issue. How do other people with significant leakage manage?

All I know is Covid has really screwed me over. Sure, I've always had some bladder weakness and I was wearing 24/7 before this all kicked off for after-dribble issues and 'just in case' but generally, so long as I could make the toilet every hour, I'd never have full accidents. I potentially had it a second time before Christmas and feel that it has made things slightly worse since.

This sounds very familiar. I have a history of poor bladder control, and since m prostatectomy/diverticulotomy my incontinence continues. Now, however, I have been diagnosed with heart failure. I have been encouraged to try and drink 4 liters of water per day. That's a lot of water! I can get 3 down, but 4 is a struggle. So, you can imagine what that does to my control issues. On occasion, I try to get by with regular underwear when I'm at home, but that doesn't always have positive results. I have even thought that a quick trip to a store without wearing a diaper might be possible, but I haven't been brave enough to try. I'm close to the point of giving in to diapers.

@Damp I couldn't imagine having to drink four litres a day! Drinking two causes enough issues as it is. Your issues sound similar to mine. I used to be able to get by with pullups at home but they'd always leak and the times I have just briefly worn regular underwear around the house, I've regretted it.

It's mad to think that this time last year I was using pull ups and relatively thin nappies for after dribble and 'just in case' with the odd pack of bulky ones which I'd save for IBS flare ups and travelling. Now, those bulky ones are the norm 24/7. I'm hoping once Covid is over my issues can get sorted as appointments keep on being pushed back and cancelled.

I know I need to drink more, too.

I often get headaches which I imagine are braught on by lack of fluid. I have a drink at breakfast time, lunchtime and dinner time, sometimes one after dinner while I am listening to my music

the times in between though I tend not to

@Sci_Fi_Fan I empathise with you on this subject.

I wonder whether you have been diagnosed with a high bladder neck like I have been? Or, have you got an elarged prostate? Reason I am asking is because I suffer with post void dribble and leak intermittently throughout the day.

Regards stay dry or hydrated, I have tried both and prefer to remain hydrated and wear protection. It makes me feel better to be hydrated and feel safe that my protection is secure and doing its job.

Good subject.

Can I just add that i am a good advocate for the external catheter and leg bag set up. I don't suffer with fecal incontinence so don't need protection normally around the back. External catheters can give you independence from pads and once you have the right size for you, can give your skin the maximum amount of air it needs to breathe. I know one size does not fit all people but this certainly works for me.

@Damp Hi, I'm not a medical person but find the 4 litres of water advice very strange. In the UK heart failure patients are generally told to restrict their intake of fluids.I assume that you have to take a lot of diuretics? Best wishes.

I seem to struggle staying hydrated, I drink more water than anyone I know. I work on my own property and that helps with all this so much. So for me I prioritize staying hydrated more than staying dry. But im able to stay dry a lot better working like I do here with noone bothering me about how many bathroom breaks I take and all that.

@laalaauk No idea, been waiting for a referral for around a year now. Whichever issues I've had, my urinary and bowel issues have definitely been exacerbated by long-Covid. Osteopathy and cutting back on coffee have really helped with the IBS though.

I plan on drinking 500ml at breaktime at 500 at lunch tomorrow and seeing how that goes. The BetterDry are good and I think I may just have to accept that accidents will happen. I'm getting a bit worried at the lack of BetterDry stock in the UK though.

As for staying hydrated and having accidents is concerned, I would prioritize staying hydrated. I know I'm a fine one to talk at times! But as others have said here, it isn't always easy to stay properly hydrated or to know how much is too little or too much. I'm sure I can do a better job of it myself.
You drink more and you have greater output and need more changes. Sure! And buying more protection can be more expensive. Check!
But here's the thing: if you drink so little so you can stay dry to the point of dehydration you could be setting yourself up for bladder and kidney infections. And that's not to mention other internal complications that are possible. So it would be a whole lot less time-consuming to have a few more changes than it would be to deal with an infection. And that's not to mention a whole lot cheaper too!!!
So go ahead and spring for that extra package of protection and have a bit more to drink! Your body will ultimately thank you for it!!!

I wear a clamp but that's not for everybody. It does get uncomfortable but I empty bladder ever hour to 1 1/2 hours by the clock. I'm okay at night, so that gives me a rest. I'm also on chemo and (just had 4 of 6) and this makes incontinence worse as I try to hydrate. Hydration is a big problem for me. I'm just in this since Oct 22 '20 so I'm still learning.

I read above about an external cath with leg bag and I might try that if someone wd share their advise on a devise.

@libbymac. I think that the amount of water to consume regarding heart issues depends a lot on what those problems are. I have multiple things going on. One centers on electrical problems (I now have a pacemaker. Another is apical hypertrophic cardiomyopathy which is a thickening of the heart muscle plus some myocardial bridging. So, that seems to be the reason why I should be drinking more water.

Sci_Fi_Fan,

I do not know. I am new to all this. My gut says, stay hydrated. I'm not sure how one can manage 4 liters per day; but, take it as a good idea to drink.

How do you sleep? How many times do you have to get up? I ask because lack of sleep is an issue for me. I wonder how people manage (I know, not much choice; but, how has it been)?

Take care of yourself, ask the medical team more questions.

Damp said:
@libbymac. I think that the amount of water to consume regarding heart issues depends a lot on what those problems are. I have multiple things going on. One centers on electrical problems (I now have a pacemaker. Another is apical hypertrophic cardiomyopathy which is a thickening of the heart muscle plus some myocardial bridging. So, that seems to be the reason why I should be drinking more water.

Damp said:
This sounds very familiar. I have a history of poor bladder control, and since m prostatectomy/diverticulotomy my incontinence continues. Now, however, I have been diagnosed with heart failure. I have been encouraged to try and drink 4 liters of water per day. That's a lot of water! I can get 3 down, but 4 is a struggle. So, you can imagine what that does to my control issues. On occasion, I try to get by with regular underwear when I'm at home, but that doesn't always have positive results. I have even thought that a quick trip to a store without wearing a diaper might be possible, but I haven't been brave enough to try. I'm close to the point of giving in to diapers.

Sounds a lot like my predicament. GI wants me to drink 32oz per meal plus 2 doses of Miralax at 18oz each and another 16-18oz of Metamucil. I average 90+oz per day. I have drunk over a gallon.

I have also drunk 48oz on the way to the ER and then got an IV and still felt dehydrated so, I need a lot of liquid every day but with that comes more issues.

The "standard" here (USA) seem to be 8 glasses of water a day for anyone. Even regardless of weight & sex. Recently, one of my Docs said that 8-glass standard came from the Korean War during the hot summer-time with extreme exercise, didn't apply in colder weather/climes, and he recommended less. My body doesn't like it if I get dehydrated, so I try to manage what I drink and the time of day. I'm lucky, down to a couple of thin pads a day, right now. I have heart issues, with a water demand which conflicts with another condition that calls for less. So, I average it out. I really don't think the Docs know everything they think they do, so I take them with a grain of salt in half-a-glass of water.... It seems to be a very individual thing.