Sleeping through the night

Archives1

Staff member
Hi,
How does everybody do with sleeping through the night? For those who manage to not wake up or wake up only rarely, what are your tricks to achieve that?
Thank you.

I was lucky. By month 3 post RP I was able to sleep through the night without leakage. Unfortunately that was the only bright spot in my battle with incontinence. I struggled until I finally resorted to an AUS implant. Been very good and continued sleeping through the night. I wish I had some strategy to offer but I don’t. Hope someone here can offer some insight.
Boomer

I typically wake up every two hours even though I am continent. It is a pain. I drink most of my fluids before 6pm and I am cutting down on caffeine however I have not solved this at all. If I go to bed early it is worse.

I haven't had a RP, just bedwetting. I have almost always sleep through the night. If I ever wake up, it will probably be 4-5 times a night. Based on how many times I be during the day, this would be a safe bet.

After 7.5 months after RP ….. if I don’t drink after 7pm I finally can sleep 6 to 7 hours for the first time the last 2 nights….. hoping it stays that way!

After 5 months post RP.... I only wake up once a night and it seems like 3:AM is when the bell rings. Otherwise dry all night. Only have a problem with incontinence during the day when I walk. I use about 3-4 Tena medium during the day. Doing about 40 to 60 kegels a day. Don't know what the future looks like?

After 4 months post RP I get up every two hours and still leak some at night. Getting better. Am doing lots of kegles (sp) and using TENS unit.

I pee every 5-20 minutes without Botox. With Botox, it’s never more often than once an hour, but usually twice per night. So my first suggestion to you is to try Botox. I also get prescribed Gabapentin and Trazodone which taken together are really good for sleep. I also get some Ambien from my psychiatrist though that’s really hard to get someone to agree to do lately. It’s the only thing that helps me sleep completely through the urge to pee, which I consider a great success. I also get a bit of Tizanidine, a muscle relaxer, and a bit of Ativan, a benzodiazepine - also hard to get prescribed regularly. My pain doctor gives me the Tizanidine. Yes, I’m careful with mixing things, and yes, all of my doctors are aware that I do.

Melatonin has zero effect on me but I’ve had severe, chronic insomnia since I was four so something simple like that will never work for me.

Part of the problem is that I’m naturally a late night owl but I make myself conform to societal standards of sleep/wake hours so then I don’t actually get much sleep because my body doesn’t want to even fall asleep until 3:00 a.m. at the earliest. The same is true for my mother, and was true for my grandmother and aunt before they passed.

I’m also a bit of a night owl and enjoy working out in the barn/shop until 11pm or midnight. My sleep is good most nights, and others not so much. Depends if I’m having pain issues. My pain med and muscle relaxer usually put me to sleep and keep me asleep most the night.

Reading a book works. Stay off of tv and digital screen devices an hour prior to bed. Bad light rays playing havoc on your brain and ability to control sleep.

I’ve tried the melatonin, but find it doesn’t keep me asleep and like so many drugs adds to having weird dreams.
I’ve had a few different prescribed sleep aid medications to help me sleep through the night in the past. Mixed reviews there too.

Sometimes I take just one TylenolPM pill. It does the trick very well, but I think makes me groggy by next days afternoon. That could also be from not getting 7 to 8 hours of sleep. I seem to be up and out of bed anywhere between 5am and 7am regardless of the time I went to bed.

I also pee through the night whether I drink a little or a lot. I’ve had to increase my water intake, as I don’t seem to drink enough water throughout my day. My fault. I’m trying to be better.
Regardless, I rarely get up and out of bed to pee, because it just adds more disruptive sleep.
Besides, as stated before. I’m already locked in to my nighttime diaper. No getting that on and off easily.

I have observed that the nights I need to take a muscle relaxer along with a pain med and the one Tylenol PM. It’s lights out, all night and don’t wake until morning. Never waking to pee those nights, or remembering anything and waking up to a very full diaper the next morning.

I think there’s a lot of variables throughout the day that affects that nights sleep. Including diet.
You might need to experiment to find a good sleep aid or meditation that works best for you on any given night.
Sweet dreams,
Joe

Being on disability and having all the issues that I do, I sleep when I can.

My big trick for falling asleep when I just can't is listening to instrumental music.

Or if I put on Return to Pooh Corner by Kenny Loggins I will be out like the doc gave me anesthesia for surgery.

I also forgot to mention, both MayMay and I have discovered that if you can sleep sitting up/slightly leaning back, which is really bad for your neck and not truly restful, you won’t wet the “bed.”

Because I have ADHD, Benadryl (Diphenhydramine) - the same ingredient in Advil PM, Tylenol PM, etc. - makes me hyper instead of sleepy. ADHD and anxiety are also the reason Melatonin isn’t enough to knock out my incessantly wandering thoughts and worries - only Ambien can truly do that. Gabapentin/Trazadone help keep me asleep, but I need either Tizanidine, Ativan/Xanax, or Ambien to actually put me to sleep. Unfortunately, those last three wear off four hours after taking them so when I wake up after being asleep for four hours, then I often have a really hard time getting back to sleep, but sometimes Gabapentin/Trazodone helps with that, and with pain discomfort.

One thing is for sure: I really sleep horribly when it’s daylight from 5:00 a.m. - 9:50 p.m. here, and I tend to oversleep in the long, dark winters when it’s dark from 4:45 p.m. - 9:30 a.m.

@flguy I put on a you tube video of a podcast lecture that drones on and on about something mildly interesting and it" Pooh Corners" me

I find that I sleep through the night with very little leakage if I am very, very tired. If I'm normal tired when I go to bed, I find that I usually get up once or twice a night to pee. To avoid disrupting my sleep too much, I have chamber pots near my bed. I get up, pee in a pot, and I usually fall back to sleep immediately. It's a little bit of a walk from my bedroom to the bathroom, and before I used chamber pots that short walk was usually enough to disrupt my sleep, causing me to toss and turn for a couple of hours before getting sleepy again. Of course, by then it was almost time for me to get up for the day, and I would then feel really groggy for most of the morning.

Nothing new here for most, however thought I would repost.
It does mention a bit about diet, changes and focus throughout
your day and bedtime tip.

The Wellness Watchdog
Kris Berg
Hi there, Reader,
Today we'll explore various lifestyle changes and home remedies that can help you manage your overactive bladder (OAB) symptoms.

Sometimes, making a few adjustments to your daily habits can have a significant impact on your condition, allowing you to regain control and improve your quality of life.
Let's dive in!

Dietary Modifications to Alleviate Symptoms
What you eat and drink can affect your OAB symptoms. Here are some dietary tips to consider:
Monitor fluid intake: Aim for a balanced fluid intake, avoiding excessive or insufficient amounts of water. This helps maintain a healthy bladder without causing urgency or dehydration.
Limit caffeine and alcohol: Both caffeine and alcohol can irritate the bladder and increase urgency. Try reducing your consumption of coffee, tea, soda, and alcoholic beverages.
Identify food triggers: Some people may find that certain foods, such as spicy dishes or citrus fruits, worsen their OAB symptoms. Keep a food diary and note any correlations between your diet and your symptoms, then try eliminating potential triggers.

Fluid Management and Timing
Timing your fluid intake can also help manage OAB symptoms:
Spread out your fluid intake: Instead of drinking large amounts of fluid at once, try sipping smaller amounts throughout the day.
Limit fluids before bedtime: To minimize nighttime bathroom visits, reduce your fluid intake a few hours before going to bed.
Double-voiding: To ensure your bladder is empty, try waiting a few minutes after urinating and then attempting to go again. This technique can be especially helpful before bedtime or leaving the house.

Bladder Training Techniques
Bladder training can help you gradually increase the time between bathroom visits, ultimately reducing urgency and frequency.

Here's how to start:
Establish a bathroom schedule: Begin by setting fixed times for bathroom visits, regardless of whether you feel the urge to go or not.
Gradually increase the intervals: Over time, try to extend the time between bathroom visits by 15-minute increments.
Use urge suppression techniques: When you feel the urge to urinate, try distracting yourself, taking slow, deep breaths, or practicing pelvic floor muscle exercises (more on this next).

Pelvic Floor Muscle Exercises
Pelvic floor muscle exercises, also known as Kegel exercises, can help strengthen the muscles that support the bladder and improve bladder control.

Here's how to do them:
Identify the right muscles: The easiest way to find your pelvic floor muscles is by trying to stop the flow of urine while you're in the middle of urinating. The muscles you use for this action are the ones you'll be exercising.
Contract and relax: Tighten your pelvic floor muscles for 3-5 seconds, then relax them for an equal amount of time. Repeat this process 10-15 times per session.
Practice daily: Aim for at least three sets of 10-15 repetitions per day. Be patient, as it can take several weeks to notice improvements.
Stress Management and Relaxation Techniques
Stress can worsen OAB symptoms, so it's essential to find healthy ways to manage and reduce stress.

Consider incorporating relaxation techniques, such as deep breathing exercises, progressive muscle relaxation, or mindfulness meditation, into your daily routine.