Sleep and nocturnal incontinence

Archives1

Staff member
sonce i dont expect to take up drugs or such this is a small annoyed rant.
I dont sleep soundly because i am half awake from peeing all bleeping night.

I have the same issue. Fourteen times I had to get up just last night. I know because I’m keeping a log.

Take the Melatonin! May May is suffer from extreme chronic pain from too many botched spinal surgeries to list! Because in order to stay alive I have to choose between a sleeping pill or pain medication. I keep the bottle of 5mg Melatonin chews on my nightstand and a few in the drawer of the coffee table. I’ve found that the Melatonin capsules can take a long time to digest, where the chews will knock me out in about 15-30 minutes. It sounds like we’ve got similar situations where I can fall asleep, I just can’t stay asleep!
I use double boosters with a cotton night diaper most nights, if I get up to change then I’m usually up for the duration.

Give it a try, $8.00 big bottle at Walmart, same bottle $24.00 at Major drug store chains. Please let us know how you’re doing!

Kathy I find it works if I take at exactly 11 pm I go bed about 11 to 12 and read to sleep
It helps me but i dont wake early enough and still am aware each time my bladder releases or stays on open spigot I'm awake enough to know

Melatonin has never helped me fall asleep nor stay asleep. The only thing that gives me 4-6 hours of sleep without waking up every 5-60 minutes to pee, is Ambien.

@Maymay941 I feel you. I sleep well about once per year. It’s soooooo exhausting and toxic for us.

Try a glass of wine before bed not with melentin though. And something I have found helpful is drinking a glass of water a hour before bed. Being hydrated actually helps. And wear a good duper that don’t leak . It eliminates worry

That's a good one
My mother was a heavy wine drinker and incontinent so Ive always avoided drinking but I am not likely to abuse it so i might try it
I've always been afraid of being one of those women who habitually has to have a drink at night

It's worth a try, @Maymay941. Just put it in a regular wineglass and sip it slowly and have it while you're reading a book as long as it isn't too stimulating! Doing this will probably relax you. If it's a dull book then I'm out like a light!:)

Alcohol makes most people have to pee more urgently and frequently.

If I drink water (or any other liquid: soup, yogurt, ice cream) before bed, it absolutely makes my nocturia wayyyyyy, wayyyyyyyy, way worse.

But I’m glad that’s a solution for some of you. Give it a go, @Maymay941. I think you’ll know if it makes things better or worse on the first go.

And while it’s certainly true wearing a diaper relieves some anxiety (I always do), a lot of people who make that suggestion seem to think the only reason for nocturia is anxiety about wetting. It’s more likely we wake up because of bladder spasms and urges. Diapers don’t get rid of those! Nerve damage is nerve damage, 24/7.

Right you are Snow. I am standing helplessly by while I endure spastic rythmic bursts or a niagra falls, a volcano or a meandering river. It is not attached to my sense of me it's like I'm empathetically watching what woke me up go by.
I've even struggled to my feet to see of the lower body respects the familiar but I do not abate or reconnect.
Milk produce a real gully washer.

As for the wine, do give it a try and it probably won't take long for you to know how it reacts. For most, it's personal preference to go with a sweeter wine or dry. My personal preference is dry wine. It's something you sip slowly and it relaxes you (at least it does for me). If I have sweeter wine (which I don't prefer) it goes down more like a soda and I don't think you want that, especially something that's really fruity like sangria. You aren't doing this to quench your thirst, it's just something to relax you. And you can pour as little as you like, or just enough to take the edge off. Well, you can think of it as for medicinal purposes! A lot of people do. It's true, alcohol does make a lot of people pee more urgently and copiously. A can of beer would do that for me, for sure! Maybe that's why I haven't had any for who knows how long. It's like coffee, I've just gotten out of the habit. Maybe the bladder is letting me know who's the boss!
But a little bit of drier wine taken slowly may be worth trying.

I was very tense last night and barely dozed but did not leak or have any release of urine all night.

No wine i have non at home

I do not usually have trouble falling asleep, but on the rare occasion I do, acetaminophen (tylenol) puts me out in 30 minutes or less. It seems to help me relax.

Hi @Maymay941, That is a very good and apt description of what happens when "it" happens. Are you or have you been a writer by any chance? I was a newspaper writer at several different newspapers so I admire good descriptive writing.

Cboone said:
Try a glass of wine before bed not with melentin though. And something I have found helpful is drinking a glass of water a hour before bed. Being hydrated actually helps. And wear a good duper that don’t leak . It eliminates worry

I don't have an issue with falling asleep or staying asleep, but I like this suggestion. Maybe I'll try it, just to make sure I don't have any issues with sleep ya know. :D

But back on the topic. I don't really have an issue with sleep. I tend to fall asleep relatively fast and stay asleep during the night. This to the point that I very rarely wake up during the night due to me wetting the bed. I tend to sleep right through until morning. As to things that might help I have found that when I take Benadryl for allergies at night it knocks me out fast. Even if I wasn't sleepy I feel it drawing me to sleep. It also increases the chances that I will pee the bed that night too. So there is a trade off. Allergies need to be really aggravating for me before I take Benadryl.

Wouldn't be an every night solution, but maybe an occasional one.

JT