Scared and Embarrassed.

Archives1

Staff member
I’m so afraid. I wet the bed last night. Stayed home today to do the laundry. My husband of 35 years didn’t realize it happened. I don’t know what to say. Two weeks ago I was diagnosed by an obgyn with a mild prolapse. At that time I was only complaining of almost constant leakage. She is setting up an appointment to preform a sling procedure. Should I tell her this has now happened before the procedure? My primary doctor has me on a water pill. That’s the only med I take. What do I say to my husband??? Are we going to have to sleep in separate beds because of this? I’m really afraid. Please respond if you’ve been through this or have any thoughts.

That water pill may have been more than you can handle. You may have to keep taking it for whatever reason it was prescribed to you.

What time of day did you take your medication? Definitely talk to both Dr’s to let them know. It’s likely due to increased urine production due to diuretic medication however I’m not a Dr.
If you take ur meds first thing in the morning this may resolve on its own.

Talk to your doctor..

AND

talk to your husband to at least give him a heads up. It’s better to be pissed off than pissed on and if he’s not supportive that’s a whole other situation.

You could use a pull on style absorbent product under boxers or something for protection and an absorbent soaker pad under your sheet is a good idea for protecting the mattress.
Hang in there! You’re NOT alone!

CB

it's happened once.....take a step back and breath.

I'm 38 and heavily wet every single night. I wear a diaper and it works well to manage. My wife and I still sleep in the same bed.....it's not a big deal.

Go to the doctor, investigate it. If it can't be cured, it can always be managed with absorbent products.

Thankyou for your response. I take the water pill as soon as I get up. I’ve been on it for about eight months now. I was told I’m probably carrying around about three pounds of extra water. That was why it was prescribed. I have had leakage for quite some time but have just recently sought help. I also have sudden urges. I don’t talk to my family dr about this. Just my obgyn. I don’t think I can.

Hi Shelly,
Maybe ask your doc about something to help with the sudden urges. I’ve been taking oxybutinin a generic and it helps me allot. There are many different fixes and a very common problem. Northshore.com has some very comfy absorbent products. Sometimes I use their liner type pads and they work well at night they have a brief called mega max that has been awesome. And I just tried one called better dry. They were excellent also.
Hang in there, just be responsible and wear something that keeps you dry. Life is life, sometimes our parts have issues and other times not. Don’t stress, just let him know you’ve been experiencing so leakage issues and are getting it checked out. 😊 you’ve got this. It’s no big deal. Walmart in the pet section has Nature’s Miracle cleanup spray for accidents. They have a white and a red bottle. Stuff works great and gets rid of stains and odors almost immediately. We use it often.
Hope this helps. PM if you need to chat, vent, whatever. Always happy to listen or offer a helpful suggestion if I can.
Kind regards,
Jim in Maryland

Dear Shelly
I so understand your embarrassment and confusion. It can feel as if your body has let you down and that feels humiliating. You did not choose this to happen - it's out of your conscious control and that's why it feels so horrible. There's lots of good advice in what people have already written. You will find a lot of comfort in knowing that you cannot ruin your mattress if you take precautions. You can buy so-called period pants which have a plastic liner and fit tightly plus washable highly absorbent period pads which you press stud together. I recommend that you use these every night. They are comfortable and discreet and you can wear PJs over them. Buy a mattress protector with a waterproof lining and a comfortable quilted top, but with the above protection you should never need to wash it or your bottom sheet.
Tell your husband and ask for his support.
Discuss it with your doctor and see if he or she can establish whether or not it is connected to your prolapse. if the medication isn't helping then stop taking it.
You are not alone and I wish you well

I am a husband of 36 years and wet most nights, so protection is a must. That said....don't give up trying to address your issue and if you're not getting what you need from one physician - go to the next. It took years before I could openly discuss my bedwetting with the medical profession until I finally realized it was all about my 'hang-ups' and that they were professionals who only wanted to help me identify and address the problem. Even on a personal level, I found that I made it a much bigger deal than anyone else did.

Thank you so much for the words of encouragement. I have so many mixed feelings. I still haven’t told my husband. He knows I’m going to have a procedure but he’s not aware of the incontinence problem. I’m just praying the procedure will cure my problem. Bless you and yours.