Pullups question

Archives1

Staff member
For those of you who wear pullups,
1.) what makes you pick a brand or certain type*such as depend overnight vs regular*?
2.) do certain brand pullups hold more for generic type, or is that a myth?
3.) what do you look for in a pullup?
4.) how did you pick what is best for you? Did you test several out?

Koigal: I don't always wear pull-ups but there are times and places where they are appropriate and I do use them sometimes.
1) Good leak guards and capacity (i.e. padding).
2) I put pull-ups into two categories, poor and good. All of the ones you can buy at a store are in the poor category with the Depend Overnight probably being the best of that group. In the "good" group would be Abena Abri-Flex, Molicare Mobile and Northshore. They have good leak guards, and pretty good capacity. I often will add a flow-thru booster or plastic-backed pad to these and change out the pad as needed.
3) See #1 above.(It's pretty much the same question)
4) I have tried out a lot of pull-ups, after a while it became apparent that there were basically just the two groups and I will use whichever is right for the situation, they both have their place.

I am unable to use Pullups I find too many shortfalls with adult pullups

First of all, is the absorbency I require a heavier diaper and have yet to find a pullup with the absorbency that meets my needs

Second I find that plastic-backed diapers are more effective for me vs clothlike covered and there have been numerous threads in this group about plastic-backed vs clothlike covered diapers and their even was some discussion about possible plastic-backed pullups

Third I have noticed a trend with adult pull-ups that I find to be a design flaw and that is the rise of the padding both front and back if you compare just about any adult pullup to just about any youth pullup I have yet to see an adult pullup where the padding rises only about halfway up the front and the same or less in the back and typically where the padding stops so does the waterproofing and as a male if you're not pointing down it's possible to leak right over the top of the padding which has happened yes it's best to make sure you're pointing down when you put them on but things can shift and move throughout the day

if you're able to effectively use pullups great more power to you I am unable to effectively use them and I won't be able unless they do a serious redesign

Koigal said:
For those of you who wear pullups,
1.) what makes you pick a brand or certain type*such as depend overnight vs regular*?
2.) do certain brand pullups hold more for generic type, or is that a myth?
3.) what do you look for in a pullup?
4.) how did you pick what is best for you? Did you test several out?
ca439b97fc89cf6089136ec9dd9520d0.jpg
d089c3c8ba46490c07f9d6fa8f5564b8.jpg

For me, a Pullup (Abena Abri-flex) is just an around the house diaper. I am always sitting on a washable bed mat though because I have had leaks. Normally I would also have on a Gary wear cover but I don't like wearing them all day.

That being said, I will be trying the new BetterDry pullups and I am going to be switching to full tape briefs' for a while so I can get out of the house more. Also I have had quite a few close calls here at home and I am tired of stressing about it because even when I try to make it to the bathroom I am not 100% successful and after my bowel starts to void them my bladder decides it is time to empty so I need better protection.

Also, I already do not leave without a tape brief if I have eaten or drank a lot as my accidents go way up then.

#1 performance/cost. For a while I have been able to get by with using Assurance brand that walmart sells for most days.
#2 From what I can tell the store brands are about as absorbant as Depend brand thats usually on the shelf at the same stores. I do like the depend fit and look better than the store brand but cant justify the added expense for something I am just going to throw in the trash, I feel the same about paper towels. I have ordered some of the better brands online and they are much more absorbant than store brands and Depend. But I prefer to change often and not wear a wet garment even tho I know it is capable of absorbing more, so unless I am going to be somewhere where changing is not a good option I dont need those. And now i just avoid those situations for the most part.
#3 cost to use them. Comfort. Looks. Cost of shipping(i usually get free shipping at walmart.com)
#4 I am pretty sure I have tried them all. A lot of places online will send you samples if you pay the shipping and I did that a lot in the past, but that has been over 10 years ago now since I have really done this.

Hi Koigal, For my needs pull-ups are the "go to," as far as I'm concerned. I do not use the tape-on briefs at this stage of my life. But who knows what my needs will be later on?
And to answer your questions:
1) The cost plays a big part in determining what to choose. And of course how much they hold is a big consideration as well.
2) If you're wondering if a brand name pull-up holds more than a "store" or generic in house brand, like the CVS or Walgreen or Wal-Mart, if I'm not mistaken a lot of those house brands are made by the same company. I think it's called First Quality. They make basically the same garment and it's marketed under the names of whatever stores sell them. But as for the quality of a Depend versus a house brand, I think the in-house may be a tad better. The Depends are very much mass-produced and mass-marketed may not be as effective with leaks as a house brand.
3) In addition to the cost and how much they hold, the main thing I look at is how discreet they are. I don't want pull-ups that go all over the place and have big bulges and make it obvious you're wearing something other than underwear. I just like them to have a plain appearance, no gaudy stripes or kiddy prints or anything like that! The fit is also important. I like mine to stay fairly high up on my waist and not get scrunched down around my bottom which is not very comfortable. And definitely good leakage protection around the legs!
4) I usually send away for samples if I see something on line I like. And a lot of times I see a package of pull-ups I'd like to try in a thrift store. You don't have to wait for a sample to come in the mail and it's still cheap enough you can buy the entire packet without busting the bank! Now I use Pro-care pull-ups in the summer because they don't "heat up" in hot weather. I got them at a thrift store and I liked them so much I ordered them from the supplier. IN the winter I wear Prevail which is a little more absorbent but is still pretty discreet at the same time. I also like Alyne, mainly because they are very discreet and have what for me is good capacity. Those are good in either summer or winter. For me, it is a matter of getting samples and finding the best ones.
I hope this answers your questions and helps you!

I use various Depend products depending on how much protection I need. I can’t afford to pay for shipping for a bunch of companies to send me samples. Their shipping costs are outrageous. I only have leaks 2-3 times/month. I guess I should look on Amazon Prime sometime.

I’ve tried every big box store brand of pull-ups and pads and landed on my products of choice.

When hospitalized, I’ve been forced to wear horribly fitting and maximally leaking cheapo Tenas. Now people in the UK and Canada report they’re some of the best products there while those in the US report Tena is the worst. That’s because they’re vastly different in other countries than here.

I know one thing: I *hate* white diapers and pull-ups. Part of what I like about Depend Night Defense is that they’re flesh colored.

but then again how thick is the padding? most of those products emphasize discreetness over absorbency and I need more absorbency discreetness is not a consideration

snow said:
@DPCARE The padding in the women's Depend Night Defense goes almost to the top, front and back.

snow said:
I use various Depend products depending on how much protection I need. I can’t afford to pay for shipping for a bunch of companies to send me samples. Their shipping costs are outrageous. I only have leaks 2-3 times/month. I guess I should look on Amazon Prime sometime.

I’ve tried every big box store brand of pull-ups and pads and landed on my products of choice.

When hospitalized, I’ve been forced to wear horribly fitting and maximally leaking cheapo Tenas. Now people in the UK and Canada report they’re some of the best products there while those in the US report Tena is the worst. That’s because they’re vastly different in other countries than here.

I know one thing: I *hate* white diapers and pull-ups. Part of what I like about Depend Night Defense is that they’re flesh colored.

@snow BTW Always has some purple and black designs now if that is something you would like. They do cost more for less. I know depend also has the silhouette type but you probably know about both.
fcfd06e0283d8089c674b26cf72b6bdc.jpg

I wear the Seni Underwear. They work pretty well. I wear pull up diapers exclusively because I can manage those better by myself rather than tape on brief diapers.

@snow I did want to ask where you get the Depend overnight from ? can you purchase them locally or do you get them online ? I am going to try them in a few days from what everyone has said.

I can personally vouch for Snow’s point on Tena USA and Tena EU. Before I was forced to give up my job traveling around the globe, as my spine would no longer tolerate the pressure changes on the flights, I had an office at the Wharf in London and would simply order my protection there. Made it far easier than another suitcase and I could just carry a gym bag for day trips to Switzerland, Germany, France etc.
They were some of the best products I ever used. I ordered some back home and couldn’t believe they were the same brand! Felt like wearing newspaper wrapped in a garbage bag by comparison!
As it turns out, due to the socialized medicine in most countries in the EU the reimbursement pays for far better quality, and they don’t have that 2 hr change rule we have here in the States. In France you simply buy whatever you need then get reimbursed.
That 2hr rule is what drives the crappy stuff we get here in hospitals etc. Every person gets changed every 2 hours needed or not. Another STUPID law, forced by greedy care homes that used to allow people to go unchanged all day, especially if they didn’t know any better…..
I learned to bring whatever I thought I would need from home and the times my trips were a SURPRISE! My wife would always bring me whatever I needed from home. Bad enough those things are so terrible, you’re already so happy to be there, then to flood the whole bed???

Hi @Sprung87, I didn't know about the 2 hour change rule we have here in the U.S. So every person wearing them in a care setting gets changed whether they need it or not??? In other words if they don't need it, the diaper isn't used, it still gets thrown away every two hours??? Seems a bit wasteful to me!!
And it's interesting that because of socialized medicine the reimbursements pay for a much better quality. I didn't know that.
So reading between the lines, we need a "happy medium," between when diapers are changed only when needed, (and not taken off every two hours) and the other extreme which is allowing people to stay unchanged for the whole day. These rules we have here really don't make sense!

Sadly they were forced into it by ruthless care home providers. They would charge Medicare/ Medicaid for 6-8 changes a day that never happened, taking it out on the caregivers who broke “The Rules?”. Now they are audited. I found this out when my mother finally needed to be hospitalized for her Alzheimer’s, and all of the important women in my life are in the medical field.
All it took was a few Politicians family members landing in care homes and being treated the old way. BAM! New legislation….

In other words, what they don't know won't hurt them!!!
"So we'll just charge Medicare/Medicaid 6 or 8 changes a day. Who's going to know??" Uh-huh!!! And a change every two hours whether yo need it or not and with that in place, then the diaper companies can go ahead and made crappier products and the more crappy diapers that Acme Adult Diaper Co. can make, the more they get needed by Shady View Hospital and Rest Home and we can make more money off of them! And we'll change the name of Acme Adult Diaper Co. to Profits R Us!!!

I became doubly incontinent following a spinal injury and paralysis in 2013. Partly because my hand movement is severely impaired, I have a suprapubic catheter and so have very little urine flow through the normal route. Nurses give me a bowel evacuation on alternate days which normally prevents accidents there. So when things are going well, my incontinence wear is not used much and is in place just in case.
I wear an incontinence pad Abri San Premium 6. These are for moderate to heavy incontinence with an absorbency of up to 1,600 ml. Overall, mine measure 63x30cm. Normally, they are changed only once a day, when getting up.
The pad is held in place by unisex net fixation pants - Abena Abri Fix large or Allanda iD Expert Ultra Large. They can be washed many times and last more than a month. They tend to be tight around my groin and often the leg band digs into it: so I buy a size larger than what would appear to be my size from my waist measurement.

@DPCARE The padding is thick enough to protect me all night, but I recognize it’s not thick enough for others. I keep myself dehydrated so maybe that’s part of why a Depend pull up is enough for me.

@Koigal I get mine at Kroger, Target, or Walmart. They cost $2 less at Walmart.

If you subscribe to, or buy off the shelf, the Sunday newspaper (or know someone who does), there are typically weekly coupons for $2 off one package or $5 off two packages.