Post robotic surgery

Hi
I just received a upper leg bag holder for the mens liberty and I like it I think Ive found something that works. i received also my samples from Northshore thanks for tip..
God Bless from Florida

I sent this note to my Urologist today. Day 28 - 4 Weeks

You were right! I bet you don't get to hear that enough.

Giving you some Great News.

I am down to 5 pullups a day from 12 pullups in week 2 and 9 pullups week in 3. Week over Week improvement is happening.

Night time has improved. The first night time void wakes me up and about half is released in the commode. I change. The second and third does not require a change. I am able to use the same pullup until after my walk.

Thank you,

I find the leaking not so much of a problem as the frequency. Sometimes I need to go urinate almost every 1.5 hours during the day. At night it is a little better. Does anyone have this frequency problem?

@pfleisch - Before my Prostatectomy on days that I did not walk, I barely made 4,000 steps. After Prostatectomy (I am at 32 days / 4 and a half weeks), I have 4,000 steps just going back and forth to the bathroom. 1.5 hours does not sound so bad, but can be a problems when you have plans or conference calls.

Tell us a little more about your situation so that people with similar experiences can response. Such as Prostatectomy or other procedure and how many weeks since your surgery.

Main things people will mention is (always check with your urologist)
1) Kegel or pelvic floor exercises (typically a set of 10 to 12 spread during the day 3 to 5 times each day)
2) Walking - movement is great and walking provides a change in scenery and time to think or not think

Nine months post surgery. Finally starting to see some improvement. Dry at night, only get up once or twice. Need three to four pads during the day. Stress incontinence is the issue. Just started on Myrbetriq for overactive bladder. Too soon to tell if it is helping. No kegels. Walk 4-5 miles a day. Don't know if that has helped the incontinence but good for my head and general fitness.

@mccaddenk How fast of a mile / How long does it take you to walk 4 files? Before my Prostatectomy, I could walk 2 miles in 35 minutes (17.5 minutes per mile). I am at 4.5 weeks and have to catch myself to slow down otherwise I start to feel tension, then pain around the pelvis / lower abdomen.

My target is to walk around a 20 minute mile. Week 2, I started with half a mile, Week 3 a mile, and week 4, 1.5 miles in 30 minutes.

@billliveshere , @shellknobcat , and others that walk, Please share how far and how long you walk and have far along your are from your surgery / event. I feel this will be beneficial to others. If you could also share at what point after your event you started walking.

Thank you,
Terry

Walked around block with catheter in. When it was removed, I got back to walking 3-4 miles 5 days a week. Walking is the best rehab for sure!

pfleisch said:
I find the leaking not so much of a problem as the frequency. Sometimes I need to go urinate almost every 1.5 hours during the day. At night it is a little better. Does anyone have this frequency problem?

I’m just two weeks post robotic surgery and I see my urologist tomorrow to make sure all is good. I have the urge to void just about every two hours at night and during the day, that being said I am able to make it to the bathroom most of the time with just a little leakage. I’m very surprised at this since I’m not soaking any pull ups. I’m waiting for it to get worse. I’m sure if there was no bathroom around I wouldn’t be able to hold it off. My understanding is that you have to retrain your bladder. If I wait to long to void I have abdominal pain. Good stream when I do go! Thanks to all who share their experiences. It’s very helpful

A physical therapist who specializes in pelvic floor helped me tremendously with frequency and leakage. Went from 1 to 1.5 hours to 3+ hours between voids. Just takes a little training and the right info.

I am at 6 months post surgery and found walking was key to my improvement. I started walking around the house, then the block, then 2 blocks, etc. At 8 weeks I was pushing out to 2-2.5 miles 2x/day at 15-17 min mile. Then I went backwards big time. Related to some lifting/house work I did AND too much walking too fast. Went back to like it was week 4 and started over. Kept the walking within reason and based on how I felt and when I wanted to do more/go faster I reminded myself of what I had just gone thru going backwards. Kept a journal every day of how often, how many pads/shields and this was invaluable. Saw progress over time that I otherwise might not have noticed.
For what it is worth I am back to running and have been doing 40-50miles/week along with biking a bunch as well. Progress has been great and I only wear a shield at work. Last two weeks I have been able to not wear a shield while running because leakage is down significantly. Coffee is my nemesis right now and makes me leaky but even that is improving. GOOD LUCK AND LOOK FORWARD.

years past robotic i still leak day and night mostly at night but also wake to urinate more at night mostly .....then one day while walking some distance from a toilet[ why do they call them rest rooms ] i said the heck with it and found out those pads are very absorbent , and others are not as privileged. So there!

@ididntthink Please give an update in this thread. Reading this will help so many of use that are taking 20 to 26 weeks to see major changes.

Thank you,
Terry

I'm 4.5 months post op. Two weeks ago was my first experience wearing cotton underwear again...with a maxi pad. No pullups. That was huge for me. It's the little things in life, right? Yesterday, I decided to live dangerously and run errands with only a Shield. I was going in and out of stores with public bathrooms. I feel like I'm making real progress. We all heal differently, so don't compare my story with your's. But after 4+ months it seems to be coming together. I did acupuncture treatments for bladder control and improved energy, Qi Gong with You Tube videos, walking, sitting in the sun 20 minutes a day and trying to reduce stress in my life. Not watching TV has been a huge boost to my mental outlook. In the beginning, I analyzed every single day, "what did I do, not do?" "what did I eat or drink?" and it was driving me crazy. I found it was better for me to look at progress week to week. I kept a log of pull ups and pads so I could see improvement on paper. If you're in your first or second month post op and you're discouraged, have faith, you WILL heal. Hang in there! God Bless and Merry Christmas.

Similar situation for me. I’m 4 months post surgery and wearing one pad/day. No pad at night. Walking 5 days/week and trying to keep mental stress levels down. Most leakage due to physical stress (exercise, working around house, etc). Be patient and keep the faith. Merry Christmas and happy holidays!

@mccaddenk

Will you give an update on how you are doing?

Did the Myrbetriq help with OAB and incontinence after prostate surgery? I just started Myrbetriq and am not liking it - did it take a couple of weeks to start working?

I think you are around 15 months post prostatectomy, how are you doing and how is you continence?

Thank you,
Terry
( I am 8 months and leaking 20 ounces a day. At 6 months, the urologist started me on Solifenacin which reduced my incontinence by 10 ounces. )

Hi, I am not sure if I am doing this right. I am three weeks post robotic surgery. I am feeling good played 18 holes of golf with no pain. I hate the pullups. I don't have much leaking at night when I am asleep, but I seem to leak during the day quite a bit. I am reading here that people are walking a lot, can someone tell me what that helps? Thanks

@dfwdropsin I am also 3 weeks out and leaking when I walk. Can sit and sleep without leaking but can’t control the dripping. I hope someone responds why the walking helps. I have been walking but since it is always leaking I feel like my bladder only fills when I am sitting. I am up for more walking to get rid of these adult diapers.