People that don’t understand

@fleemoore I always have to pee as soon as I get in the shower and the water touches me. It doesn’t matter if I just peed in the toilet, my body will release more once I’m in the water. The same thing happens in pools, the ocean, etc. That’s not related to my Neurogenic Bladder. That has happened my entire life according to my parents. I don’t fight it anymore.

I think that the human brain, from prehistoric times onward, conditioned itself to only dump water once it had recognised and seen/heard available water in motion, elsewhere. The problem is that...such an idea assumes that the mind thinks that the body can re-absorb water for general bodily use, and that, once recognised, new-found water that is seen/heard means that it no longer needs to hang on to water in the bladder. To the best of my knowledge, the bladder cannot do any such thing as re-absorb water, anyway.

When I was a child, my mother would "aid-and-abet" my piddles by turning on the nearby, BLOODY TAP! That's more likely to be the problem - the association must be longer-term than we imagine.

Wow, great, informative, responses! Thank you.

@snow How does the Botox work out for you? A urologist I used to go to (I have relocated recently) offered that as a possible option. I DIDN'T like the possible side-effect that you could not pee at all! I don't know if that is a men-only side-effect, or can affect women also, but it doesn't sound like fun to me.

@Claytonp My apology. I'm not intentionally hi-jacking your thread.

@snow I remember an orthopedic surgeon saying there are people who admit to peeing in the shower and those who lie and say they don’t. Claimed he would ask when interviewing someone for a job. At least it is hard to miss and hit the floor in the shower! I would be in the former not the latter.

@snow @fleeemore I can definitely relate to the fact that it is difficult to hold it when someone is opening the tap. I had the same with my diarrhea issues. I can’t count the number of accidents that has occurred on my doorstep, or close to it. I guess I am happy to be home and relax as I think that I had made it all the way, and then it happens. It is strange, and I do everything I can to prevent the accident, but it often just happens…

@Peter_A Botox works fabulously for me. They start with a slow dose and gradually go up until they know what your high mark is. Very rarely do you end up having to self catheterize to pee and if you do, it’s only for a few weeks. Doing the injections are much easier for men than for women. It’s not the end of the world if you do have to self-cath a few times. I’ve been having botox bladder injections done every three months for seven years and I have never once received too much not had to self-cath. I’ve seen 33 different neurologists and that number still holds true. I get 200 bladder. units each time. You can get up to 400 total all over your body at once.

But I also get 200 units of Botox via migraine Botox injections in my neck and trapezius muscles, which releases me from having daily migraines to having one migraine per month - at an almost normal, tolerable level. I’d love to have none but I’m glad now I only have one per month.

The bladder Botox makes my daytime bladder life almost 100% normal, maybe 90% normal. For sleep, it doesn’t alleviate the need to wear diapers and bed pads but instead without Botox, I get up every five to 20 minutes to pee, now I only get up every 20 mi utes to three hours to pee, and when I pee in a diaper, it is only slightly wet and I hardly have any bed sheet accidents anymore, maybe down to only one per month (less, even) when I used to have at least three soaked bedding sets per week. So botox is a major saver for me. I don’t know how I would go on living without this Botox solution. I probably would have killedmyself a number of years ago if I had to keep wakimg up to pee every 5 to 20 minutes, I would’ve been dead a very long time ago. I have osteoporosis and osteoarthritis to the tune that I need both hip replaced, both knees replaced, back surgery, and heart surgery done so once I get comfortable in bed, I can’t just jump up five minutes later and 20 minutes later to get back in bed and get comfortable. at that rate of peeing at night, I can’t sleep because I can’t get comfortable. So I really need this quarterly Botox so I can get some sleep or I’m a zombie who would rather be dead. So Ican’t recommend that you try Botox enough.

My other hobbies feel pretty normal now, except that I drink half as much water as I used to, and I still wear pull-ups to bed with bedpads discreetly hidden under my top sheet which means I’ll be single for the rest of my life, but otherwise, given how bad my incontinence is, I’ve now come to see that it’s not that bad at all

@Allan_59 It’s a very simple conditioning along the lines of Pavlov’s dog. Find something else to do for five minutes while you get home, like reading your mail, or setting up a snack so that you don’t associate getting home with getting to go to bathroom right away. This has helped me. I was even bad enough at a point where I had to just pee in the garage into a little cup and dump it in the grass because I couldn’t make it to the top of the stairs in my condo to pee in time. Ever since I’ve stopped letting going P be the first thing that I do and instead I greet my cat, put my purse down and get some projects out to do, I don’t have that problem.

@snow That is a obviously a smart thing to do, there is a lot of psychology in this. The problem started for me when I started to have bowel accidents, even more difficult to control than pee, and even more painful and embarrassing. The thing we do, we are going the extra round, I can’t leave the house without going - and accidents are not uncommon on my doorstep. But resisting is obviously smart to at least not making the situation worse by giving in. So busy yourself with something seems like a good strategy. I am glad it worked for you - and as so many times - thanks for the good advices you are sharing.

@Snow There are many otherwise healthy men who also struggle with incontinence (just check the forum…) so that alone is not a reason to be alone. I would not care if you had to wear diapers to bed, not that it is a proposal… I am married :D But the right man will not be paying attention to that. But it is incredible to read your Botox story, waking up every 5th or 10 minute is torture. I struggle to sleep again when waking up in the very early morning, so I know how it is to be a zoombie from lack of sleep… Interesting that it is also effective for migraine - I am struggling in periods…