Archives1

Staff member
Hi, my name is Mary. I have had problems with incontinence for about 7 years. It is getting worse. I have tried medications, bladder training, diet modifications, exercises, even a surgical procedure. Nothing helps. It is especially bad at night. I have a commode right next to my bed. All I have to do is turn around and sit down, but I can't do that fast enough to avoid an accident.

I would appreciate any suggestions to help get this under control.

Welcome! Are you wearing protection at night? I think that is where most of us end up. It seems like a tough pill to swallow, but after you start doing it you will wonder why you didn't do it sooner.

Have you tried diapers at night? I'm 36 and never imagined I'd have to wear diapers but I've found them to be the very best solution to my bedwetting. None of the other treatments worked for me and now I've become very used to wearing them. My bed stays dry 99% of the time (stray leak here and there)and I get much better sleep now. It's definitely a bid weird at first and hard to make that initial decision but I'm so glad I did. Meds didn't work for me and made me feel horrible with side effects. But I've tried all the other stuff like exercizes and diet bladder retraining. I'm not really interested in surgery. I'd rather just wear protection to be honest.

Unfortunately my OAB/urge incontinence continues to get worse and worse so I'm in diapers 24 hours a day now. Wearing in the day is NOT something I'm very comfortable about but it is what it is and I'm slowly coming to accept it. Wearing at night is no big deal to me.

Have you seen a urogynecologist for Botox injections into a the bladder? Thst is my current plan of action.

I'd also like to know if Botox works. From what I've read, its effects last for several months. It's not a permanent "fix". One discouraging thing I read was that the patient may have to be able to self-catheterize. I would greatly appreciate hearing from anyone who has had any experience with Botox injections. Thanks. Susan 63YO

I am also interested in trying botox but not sure if they do it here in Perth Australia for bladder,i am extremely depressed i feel like a freak truly with this disgusting problem ,that really degrades you ,

Why is there no help for us instead of nappies ,i haven't used yet at night ,just protection ,but i can be in 2 beautiful relationships if i want but i just cant tell that i have this issue ,and they are very clean men and it makes me feel worse ,cause i feel dirty with this issue otherwise I'm very clean as a person ,so i truly feel like ending it all I've had enough

Enlightenment said:
Why is there no help for us instead of nappies ,i haven't used yet at night ,just protection ,but i can be in 2 beautiful relationships if i want but i just cant tell that i have this issue ,and they are very clean men and it makes me feel worse ,cause i feel dirty with this issue otherwise I'm very clean as a person ,so i truly feel like ending it all I've had enough

Believe me, ending it isn't the thing you want to do. God has allowed this in our lives for a reason and a purpose. Yes, it is a challenge, and He may or may not alleviate it, but He will use it for good - if you allow Him. If you really think about it, this is not going to be the greatest challenge that any of us face. You have come to a good group.

I actually don't blame God ,i really am disgusted in the medical side because i know for a fact they truly have not done proper research into it ,i know everything that's available ,but seriously there must be much more that can be done instead of putting so much interest in making nappies better so the pharmaceutical companies can make more and more money ,put it into finding a solution for us all ,I'm truly screaming now it's destroyed my life for so long and made me feel I'm a freak

You aren't a freak. There are SO MANY people all over the world with these problems that if we knew who they all were, we'd be in shock, I'm sure of it.

Enlightenment said:

A lot of people do find cures with meds or surgery. Some like many here just cant find relief. For us, diapers offer a reliable way to manage the condition and have a normal life.

No one is worth being in a relationship with if they cant accept you for who you are. There is nothing to feel ashamed about if you need diapers.

I also consider myself a very clean person but i happen to have bladder peoblems and diapers are the only thing thats worked for me. Luckily my wife is very accepting and has never made me feel bad about it. Deciding on diapers whether needed just for bed or around the clock is a very difficult decision but over time is something you can get used to. There are times now that i hardly think of it because its become so routine. Occasionally i feel really lousy about it but i just keep in mind that a diaper is better than soaked pants.

This condition is challenging for sure but dont give up.

As in diapers designed for babies? I've been using store brand Depends equivalent step in products for women. Do diapers do a better job?

It depends how severe your continence needs are. I wear a pull on style at work and a diaper style at night and that is typically okay for me. The diaper style or brief is more absorbent but bulkier. At night I am more concerned with getting sleep and having dry sheets than I am the stigma of wearing a diaper

I don't have a problem with stigma. This is a medical problem. Do the diapers leak out the thighs? How do I know what size to buy? I'm a woman and I weight about 185 lbs. Thanks.

If you get a good quality diaper, they typically won't leak if you have the right size. Northshore, xpmedical, and HDIS all sell briefs of various absorbency and quality depending on your budget. They typically offer trial packages as well so you can find which brand works best for you. Are the Depend underwear working for you?

Yes and no. I take meds at night which knock me out for about 10 hours and when I have the urge to urinate in the middle of the night, I am too tired to go to the bathroom so I urinate into the Depends. I tend to snack and drink liquids late at nigh (bad habit), so I always sleep on a large washable pad. Some mornings I have to wash it in the washing machine, some mornings it's dry. I can't begin to tell you what a relief it is to share these details with you and other members of this group. 😀