Introduction to the Group

Isn't it amazing how many of us share this story and in such similar fashions? I didn't find this site until after my surgery and subsequent incontinence. Prior to that I saw Youtube videos by men who documented their post-surgery life; many of them saying how easy it was. This site is far more realistic about our recovery and I congratulate you on your attitude. Keep us posted on your progress.

Indeed, the incontinence is disheartening in the beginning after surgery (though I was warned about it, I had not realized how bad it could be the first couple of months) and had second thoughts of going through surgery. But reassurances from the surgeon and from reading the postings here helped me keep sane. Glad to note that after 5 months I am now fully recovered from leaks (an occasional leak under stress - like sneezing), and am only using regular underwear with no major disasters. SO keep up the courage and there is light at the end of the tunnel.

@Bradtom welcome and so glad you came here to be with us. Lots of information here, and if you elect you can post in men's forum if that feels comfortable too

Hi Bradtom and welcome to this informative and caring group. I had RARP 7 months ago. I am a thousand times better physically and mentally compared to the first three / four months. Still hoping and waiting for complete recovery from incontinence but it is not so important to me know as I realise I can adequately manage it.

snow said:
I rest my case. This group should be called the National Association For Prostatectomies.

Snow, I'm with you! believe me or not, there still exist also some men (for example me), dealing with incontinence, which have nothing to do with prostatectomy!

I have urge incontinence and urinary frequency due to pelvic pain, this was prior to my prostatectomy. I joined the group after my prostatectomy and have learned a lot about the stress incontinence from surgery. At about the six month mark I made great improvements on the stress incontinence and thought I was completely better with this but probably at 2 to 3 pad level I wear diapers for the urge incontinence and do not always notice wetting from the stress incontinence. When the stress incontinence was bad I was having very few urge problems. My Pelvic pain has become worse again and I am going to PT. But as I said my stress incontinence has improved
What was most important to me is the cancer is still gone at the 7 month PSA and I am learning how to manage things to enjoy my grandchildren. Hopefully you do not limit yourself from what you do and things get better. We are all different and alike in ways. Wishing everyone happiness. Tim