Interesting observation

Archives1

Staff member
A while back, I posted about Cornsilk tea helping me. While it still is helping me, every once in a while, I still have an issue. I recently learned that when I have a bed wetting incident, my blood oxygen level dips below 90%. The lower my oxygen level, the worse the wetting incident is. I’ve only wet twice recently, and both times my oxygen was below 90%.

I applaud you for noticing a connection. Hopefully more monitoring of this will give you more good information.

Just in the last few years there have been links developed between adult bedwetting and Sleep Apnea. I don’t remember all of the context, but was asked when I went for my last sleep study if I ever experienced this? That’s when I asked if anyone had even read my health history and questioned why I was even there...
As it turns out the nurse was just checking off boxes on my intake form so was not aware of my 24/7 neurogenic bladder issues. I would find out why your blood ox is dropping dangerously low like that, I lost a friend at 36 years old due to a massive heart attack brought on by apnea.
Best of luck!

Blood oxygen levels that low are not something to ignore! You also risk brain damage, as I understand it.
Is that continuous monitoring of blood oxygen, or what? When was your last sleep apnea study? Your apnea can change. I think there is a required study every so many years?

Last sleep study was 2007. I was diagnosed with sleep apnea then. I have a CPAP machine, but the last couple of years no matter what I try, I can’t keep my mask on. I’ve tried different mask types and things like that. I’m looking into the possibility of an Apap machine instead of a cpap. The apap is supposed to adjust the pressure based on need, and not be continuous. When I was able to wear my CPAP mask all night, I had stopped having bed wetting incidents. Lately though, when I put my CPAP mask on at night, I wake up with it off my face and laying on my pillow beside my head. Sleep studies are too expensive to do another one. The incidents of low blood oxygen level are very brief, and it usually wakes me up shortly after, but usually not in enough time to stop the wetting.

ashdd81. Ouch. My brother-in-law got caught in that situation: too expensive for a new study, and for a new machine.
I use a Philips Respironics DreamStation - which is pretty new on the market.
It uses something that isn't a mask, as I understood it, and got with my first CPAP, in 2003. "DreamWear under the nose nasal mask". Also called a Nasal Cushion. The cushions come in S, M, & L.
There was 1 or 2 "masks" that had a nasal "insert", prior to that.
Not sure which numbers on the package count, but REF 1116700, and or the Medium: 1116741.
The "headgear" is minimal and works for me and several others I know.
No idea what they cost, these days. Medicare covers some of it, but I'm over 70.
Not sure what other brands exist, and what other models are still supported. Might be worth asking Phillips; there are sometimes discount coupons, sometimes based on need. A Doctor might help?
Good Luck.

I’ve tried every kind of mask from full face mask to the nasal pillow. Every mask has the same results. I go to sleep with it on, but wake up with it off. Thanks for the suggestion though.

I did try organic cornsilk tea as you had successfully but it made me incontinent in the day as well as at night.
I do see a correlation possible yo lack of oxygen and sleeping
My dry spells at night im sleeping in a strange position in my back with my neck immobilized on the sofa which might seem counter intuitive to better oxygenation but there it is,

Have you ever thought of video taping at night while you are sleeping? This might help you understand why your mask comes off and when. Just a thought!

I also have “severe sleep apnea” and use the Phillips resperonic machine. Well that is until my mask broke and it has been hell trying to get a new one. The place I go through is a joke. I leave to go see my family next Wednesday and they still haven’t sent me a new mask. It’s been a week. And my doctor won’t return my phone calls or his assist. It’s so damn frustrating.

I have been on PAP for many years. (I'm also over 70.)

There is an online store that is very accommodating: "CPAP.COM". They will actually let you try masks until you find what works for you. In other words they will refund your money if you don't like a mask that you have ordered. (With COVID, they even let me keep the mask that I couldn't use.) You have to submit a prescription to them first. They will help you fill out a claim form for insurance, but they don't process insurance claims. They have frequent sales on everything. Be sure to signup to be notified by email. They also sell spare parts, which is easier to get from them than from my regular supplier.

CVS Pharmacy is also selling PAP equipment in their "Hub stores". I have never bought anything from them, but it's good to know there are more options these days.

I have always had insurance - THANKS be to God! So I have never had any trouble getting supplies; in fact they call me when I am eligible for anything. Medicare negotiates the prices with vendors, and things have changed over time. Currently, I am using a company called "Verus" which is a branch of "Adapthealth". The vendors available to you will depend on where you live.

I have had to be very creative with solving problems with my therapy because my body has changed. For example, in the beginning I used nasal masks or nasal pillows with CPAP machines and heated humidifiers. Now I have to use a full face mask with an APAP machine, heated humidifier, and heated hose. Heated hoses are a blessing! No more "rain-out". Rain-out is the term to describe excessive condensation in the hose. It is especially bad if you have a heated humidifier in your circuit and a cold bedroom. The water will actually gurgle in the hose and get into your mask. That used to be very annoying. My wife tried to make insulated sleeves for the hose to mitigate the problem, and you can buy them from a vendor, but they just don't work for me. The heated hose solves the problem at the source.

Over time, I lost teeth and my mouth no longer would stay shut while sleeping. So I have devised workarounds for the leaks that allowed the air to escape through my mouth. I use adhesive backed Velcro and thick felt pads attached to the straps to collapse the space between my cheeks and teeth to fix that problem.

PAP therapy requires solving problems that are unique to you. So, don't just give up. Keep thinking and be creative!

May God bless you all!

db4 said:
Have you ever thought of video taping at night while you are sleeping? This might help you understand why your mask comes off and when. Just a thought!
I might have to try that. Thanks for the suggestion.

justej: So many jerk doctors, so little time to have to deal with them all.
With my first cpap supply company, they were based in florida, I got the diagnsis in Seattle, and lived in alaska.
the exact minute & second i was eligible for anything, they called me long distance. They would send a filter - not sure it could even be weighed on any scale except a scientific one - via FedEx or UPS, in a box packed with padding. It could have been sent glued to a postcard. I didn't NEED three-quarters of what they wanted to send me, which not only upset them, but caused them to turn into one of those unsolicited phone salespersons, high pressure tactics and all.
And we wonder why medical gear is so expensive.
ashdd81: Hang in there. "Chin straps" are a sometimes-effective means of solving the "open mouth breathing" issue. The different kinds have just as many supporters and detractors as the face masks types issues.

I agree with JarJar, CPAP.COM is a great site. They have great customer service and are very good at listening to what your issues are and what might work for you. I also went through a number of masks and ended up finding a nasal pillow works for me. The disappointment for me is that using the CPAP has not cut down on my nighttime bathroom visits. I wish everyone luck in dealing with our challenges.