Got the wrong product, but glad I did.

artiejr said:
If you get compression socks, get the ones that cover the entire foot and come up to just below the knees. If you get the ones that don't cover the toes, it could be painful. I had some that didn't cover the toes, and it hurt. I switched to the ones covering the whole foot, it was much better. No pain.
I've had the exact same experience with the open toe stockings and always use the closed toe style. I think the open toe stockings are to be able to check for circulation issues in certain cases.

@artiejr I’ve never been told not to wear them at night. Where did you hear that? I need them most in the sweltering late afternoon and evening. Post-op, I was told to wear them 24/7. I wear prescribed hosiery, not stocking socks. They were fitted pre-op. They had me sleep in them in the hospital.

@Padded53 You're correct about the reason for open toes; they’re for checking circulation. And they’re a drag. I prefer closed toe.

@snow There are two distinct types of "compression" stockings and then several different lengths within those two types.

Different from regular graduated compression stockings, T.E.D. (Thrombo Embolism Deterrent) stockings, or anti-embolism stockings, are often designed with a hole around the feet and are usually white. They are mainly used to prevent the formation of the blood clots in post-surgical patients and this hole enables the nurses and caregivers to check the blood circulation in the superficial veins without having to remove the stockings. As far as I know they only come in knee high and thigh high lengths. And yes, you can sleep in these but as I understand it they're not for daily routine use.

"Regular" graduated compression stockings do come in open toe and closed toe versions and according to everything I've read are not to be worn when sleeping at night. This type of stocking is designed to keep blood from pooling in your lower legs while standing or sitting and they have a greater compression at the bottom to accomplish this. These come in a huge range of lengths from sock length to panty hose. They even have "fashion" stockings with patterns on them as well as very sheer and the usual heavy opaque ones that I usually wear.

As you mentioned it's really difficult to wear these in a hot and humid climate (like here in FL) and my doctor has told me to just wear them as often as possible. He said the more I wear them the better my chances are of not having more serious leg circulation issues later on.

Compression socks are supposed to be worn during waking hours only. It is highly recommended to elevate your legs while at rest or sleeping. This helps keep blood from pooling at your ankles which can result in ulcers, which is not good. I have venous insufficiency ulcers on my ankles, not diabetic ulcers. Similar, but not the same
Mine were inherited from my mom and grandmother. Been wearing for over 30 years.

@Padded53 Thank you so much for your advice! Yes, I’ve had white TED stockings for post-op. On sweltering hot days I use them when I’m not post-op.

I think I’ll get some of those regular compression socks, too - and I’ll avoid wearing them at night. After dancing with Ballet West from ages 4-13, then all the backcountry adventures and concert dancing I did later, I have bad osteoarthritis all throughout my feed

Another reason for open toes is the elderly get pressure sores and infections around their toe nails easily, especially diabetic folks.closed toe compression socks tend to curl their toes down, mostly those who are wheelchair bound during the day and not aware of their feet. This is mostly for those in care centers with alzheimers or dementia. If you are alert and orientated without issues with circulation, closed toe are ok but can cramp your toes. My ex wife didnt like the open toe ones. She preferred the closed toe socks.