In need of some immediate help

Archives1

Staff member
Hello everyone, long time reader, first time posting. So I recently had to switch supply companies because they stopped carrying the product I use. Well now my new company needs a new prescription before they will start sending me my briefs. Called to set up appointment with doctor, first available one is 6 weeks out, so its going to be at least 7 to 8 weeks before I will recieve a shipment...was wondering if anyone had some left over size large or XL tape tab briefs laying around that they could possibly donate to me? I can probably come up with enough money to help pay for shipping. I know its probably a long shot, but this seemed like the best place to ask. Im sure we have all been in this position at least once. Thanks for your time and Gob bless.

Hi @Azred2020, do you have thrift shops around where you live?? If so, a lot of them do carry adult incontinence and more often then not (at least where I live in Florida) I notice many of the packs of briefs are marked large or XL. For some reason they are a lot easier to find in thrift shops than the medium sizes. I hope that helps and can tide you over until you see the doc and get a shipment to you.

My experience with doctors is that most will send prescriptions for refill even before they see you, as long as it's not for something too prone to abuse (narcotics come to mind). Diapers have no real abuse potential, so it would be worth calling the doctor you've got the appointment with and explaining the situation.

So I did trying calling the doctor's office and was told that because I am a new Patient for this doctor he wants to see me in his office before he will do anything. I pleaded for 30 mins but it did me no good.

And yes this past weekend I went goodwill hopping and all I found was either baby diapers or ones that were too small. But I will try again this weekend to see if anyone has donated something new.

Azred2020 - What is with some doctors? As billiveshere states, this is not something that you might be abusing. This is corrupted power. I'd complain to the insurance company.

Yea I was surprised by their lack of help, I'm like hello I'm about to be out of supplies which means either not going to work everyday or getting extremely embarrassed when I have an accident in front of people. Both options are going to have consequences. So yes at this point idk what I'm going to do. Money is so ridiculously tight right now for me it's like do I eat, pay a bill,or put gas in the car....

@Azred2020: You might want to try using a baby diaper as a "pad" inside of a tighty whitey brief or better yet inside of a pull-up or other diaper (if you still have a few left). You will be surprised at how much those little baby diapers can hold, and they can easily be changed out in any restroom in just a minute or two. Easy to carry an extra one or two in your pocket without being too obvious. Might be the best/quickest/cheapest option.

Wish I could help. I’m an xl but I’m using my back stock of diapers this month as I couldn’t afford them myself.

As a new member of this forum I am astonished by what I am reading. Do I have this right: Do some people get a prescription for Depends? Why? You can just buy them in any store? Is it because some health insurance companies pay for them? Gosh, I wonder if our BC / BS would pay for my husbands Depends. As I not getting the right message here? Thank you

@Faithab a lot of private insurance companies do not pay for diapers. Medicare doesn’t either. Most state Medicaid plans do cover them but they are low quality. I go through a medical supply company that bills Medicaid for me. I use premium diapers and Medicaid pays .88 cents per diaper and I pay the rest. Some companies do hsa/fsa so that is something to look into as well. I’m on disability and cannot afford diapers out of pocket. Store brands like depend do not work for me.

@Jsteve I think the problem is that Azred2020 doesn’t have the money to buy them. So ordering from Amazon wouldn’t help.

I hate to always sound like Debbie Downer, so I apologize in advance. This is the new state of our medical system. Medicare & Medicaid both chopped visits down to 15 minutes tops, 8 minutes for things like refill visits etc. I was forced to stop working 4 years ago, unbeknownst to me I had a tumor on my spinal chord in my neck. These idiot Drs.sent me to a psychologist to convince me the pain was all in my head? Close, but a few levels down!
A letter to the President of the “Major” Healthcare System (Insert anyone you can think of!)from my attorney had me in front of a “Rookie” intern Neurosurgeon within the week. By then 4 vertebrae collapsed from the tumor and I lost use of my right arm. Needless to say, they couldn’t read my 5,000 page medical history if they had a month, let alone 15 minutes! By being forced to order an MRI, I cost my Drs. their annual bonuses, isn’t that just terrible? And I was one slip away from quadriplegic!
My right arm never regained full feeling, shakes like hell and feels like it’s on fire most hours of the day. I was told that’s the result of the tumor crushing my spinal cord at 4 different levels. Nothing they can do, just keep working out to regain the muscle mass.
Moving along, I twisted my right knee hiking at the beginning of
Covid, couldn’t get treatment unless I was bleeding or a broken bone, HONEST TO GOD!
Finally got a good Dr. to now replace my entire knee, but he was concerned the crutches could further damage my shoulder? I told him that had been repaired, it was my spinal chord. He reached over and pulled on my arm and again it popped right out of the socket!WT Heck!
All this time I had a very torn rotator cuff, but now it’s too damaged to repair, from doing TOO MUCH physical therapy?? The good news is I tore both biceps tendons, the triceps tendon and my bicep right down the middle, but they’re going to put that all back together, but the scapula tendons etc. over the shoulder looks like a
horses tail on the MRI, nothing they or I can do….
My point is our healthcare system is on Life Support. ObamaCare destroyed it! They pretty much gave the insurance companies the right to dictate all facets of our healthcare. If you haven’t noticed, the
insurance companies dictate your care these days, not the doctors. You don’t have to worry about the “Death Squads” choosing who will live or die, it’s now death by a thousand slices!
BTW, 16 month wait for my wife to see a new Primary Care, 2 years to see a Gyno (She has to fly back to Chicago currently) I injured my knee 04/18/2020, and just saw the Ortho 2 weeks ago…
Sorry to BITCH to all you, you’re always awesome! Our system is a wreck! Azred should not have to go through all this, and I’ve had a pretty @#&&*!y Week. This is the kind of stuff that makes my dealing with incontinence seem like a walk in the park!
I hope you all have a Great weekend!