Update!

@23andpee So awesome for you. I am glad you have found solutions that are working for you. Looks like you are finally enjoying some dry nights anreven better no worry dry days. That is awesome and must feel so great after your long struggle with bedwetting.

Now when the occasional accident happens don't get all worked up and frustrated about it. They will happen from time to time, but you are well on your way to beating them all the time.

CONGRATS!!!!!

JT

@billliveshere thank you so much for the advice! I'm going to set up an appointment later today. I figured they must be swamped with all the coronavirus patients.

@Maymay941 Yes I have had the headaches and the dizziness but they were only for one day then they stopped

@snow thank you for the advice and I love to see an overlapping pattern. I think I may have to get more pads as well but disposable because I can't keep buying the NorthShore since I don't have that much money saved away for them, the doctor visits, and the diapers.

@andy1050 That sounds awesome! I've heard the word "diaper covers" thrown around here a bit so I'm thankful it was explained. I think when all else fails I will turn to them. It'll just be the last thing I put on before bed:D

@Padded53 Thank you for the helpful and inexpensive advice! I wanted to ask which ones did you buy? I see a few options on their website.

Just thought of something re: those Wal-Mart towels. I would wash them first right after you buy them just to soften them up. Otherwise they may feel kind of scratchy when you use them for an inner padding. Then place them in the dryer just to soften them up a bit as well as to dry them. Maybe some fabric softener as well. Your comfort is the main thing here! Even when I buy something like jeans or shirts fresh from the store I always like to wash them first. Those towels should be no exception. :)

23andpee:
It's the "Mainstays" Flour Sack Towels, 10 for $7.88. The 5 pack are the same but just a bit more expensive per towel.
I think the "Towel" name is a bit misleading as these are just very thin 28" x 28" cotton cloths and are nothing like a terry towel. Nonetheless folded up into a multilayer pad they work very well. Of course you can always double up on them and put them in various places in your diaper for maximum effect.
Billliveshere is right that they work a bit better if you wash them first, but I've used them right out of the package and they work just fine.

@Padded53 I'm going to buy those today then! Thank you so much again.

To everyone else thank you! I slept directly on the pad yesterday and that seemed to work really well. I wanted to try duct tape @billliveshere but I don't think it'll stick to my sheets.

Hi @23andpee, Maybe duct tape won't stick to sheets but speaking as a guy, I'm sure there are plenty of other places where duct tape can be used!!! :D:D:D
It's that kind of a very handy thing to keep around the house! In fact I saw on another forum somewhere that some guys use duct tape to replace the built-in tapes on their diapers! And if your tapes slip or come apart then it's duct tape to the rescue!!!!:D:D:D

@billliveshere I adore *all* tge kinds of tape :) My family teases me about how much tape I use, especially when I wrap presents.

@snow, for me tape is a necessity when wrapping presents as I don't have third hand to hold up the wrapping paper or try to tie a ribbon around it!:D You know what I mean because I don't think you come with a third hand either! Just a quick snip of Scotch tape in a corner of the paper and it makes the rest of the job a cinch!

@23andpee

Great to hear all this awesome advise. Here are my thoughts on protecting the bed. Since I only occasionally bedwet I do not wear protection to bed except when not sleeping at my place. To protect my bed I have a waterproof cover over the mattress first. It has a plastic back and a very thin quilt poly layer on top. Over that I have a higher quality waterproof mattress cover with a softer and thicker quilted layer on top. Over that I have a regular cotton bottom fitted sheet. Now that sounds like a lot but it give me two layers of waterproof protection.

I then have a long quilted waterproof bed pad that I got form Amazon (RMS Ultra Soft 4-Layer Washable and Reusable Incontinence Bed Underpads, 34"X72"). I sleep on this and it is great. Very comfortable, feels like a soft bed. it is not hot or crinkly or uncomfortable to sleep on. Also since it is the length of my bed I don't have an issue with it moving around or working that I will move it to where it is not protecting the bed where my mid section is at.

This system really works for me and makes wet mornings easy to deal with. I only have to wash the long waterproof bed pad, my sleep clothes and the top sheet that was over me. Rest of the bed is dry and no need to change out or remake with fresh sheets.

To @snow question about keeping the top sheet or comforter dry here is how I handle it. The top sheet does get wet as it is over me but I put a small waterproof bedpan form IKEA between the top sheet and the comforter right at the mid section of the bed where if I bedwet the top sheet might get wet. The bedpan is soft and very flexable so it is not stiff or crinkly like some waterproof pads for cribs are.

So far my set up has kept the mattress and fitted bottom sheet dry and clean and the comforter dry and clean.

I hope this might help someone with ideas on how to protect their bed if needed.

JT

This thorough system is an excellent one Jaytee. Because it is so proactive to accept the problem and be prepared rather than begrudgingly use as little protection as possible then be angry at ones self.

I'm not sure how you sleep with an IKEA bed pan in the middle of your bed? Do you sleep on one side of the pan?

@Maymay941

Thanks. It seems to be a good system and served me well. As an occasional bedwetter I don't really feel the need to wear protection every night so this is a good system that offers me comfort and piece of mind where I do not have to worry about what will happen on those nights that I do bedwet.

The IKEA bed pad is a small thin but totally waterproof one. I do not toss and turn a lot and tend to sleep on my back or one side. I sleep on one side of my bed where the larger waterproof bedpad is at for me to sleep on. The Ikea pad tends to stay over my mid section throughout the night ready to protect the comforter just in case. I often push the comforter back though, and sleep with just the top sheet over me. I like to be cold so this works for me.

Hi Maymay, being pro-active about accepting a problem is definitely the way to go! I wholeheartedly agree with you seeing the fault about using as little protection as possible and then being angry with yourself for doing that. After all, why be angry with yourself if you don't really need to be!? But some may choose to use as little protection as possible to save money. It's like that old saying, "you get what you pay for!"

Ive ruined several mattresses and a fine sofa because I was too angry to be proactive
I just ordered the bigger mattress pad recommended here

Benfrank said:
I like the depend disposable under pad they are a little sticky on the bottom so they don’t move

@Benfrank Do the Depend bed pads work good? I've thought of possible trying them for when staying at a hotel instead of wearing the RealFits underwear.