If they can make baby diapers that don’t leak...

billliveshere: I'm not sure of the site for survey Monkey, but I get a surprising number.
Pmikula: Consumer Protection by the US Govn't has taken a big hit. However, Given the dollar amount of the diaper industry, maybe we need to be writing to Consumer Reports.org. CR rarely takes on something unless the industry exceeds a certain dollar value per year, it's a nation-wide issue, there is a high-enough number of people affected, and the "products" are national (not local, not regional). To me, that sounds like our issue. CR does have a whole newsletter for Medical, besides the ordinary articles in the magazine.

Lots of ideas out there. My primary feeling is that baby diapers' relative success at not leaking is less to do with a superior product and more to do with the size and amount of movement of the wearer. I think adults' larger size leads to larger forces being placed on the diaper which causes the padding to break down quicker (clumping). I have found many of my leaks occur as a result of clumped padding that leaves open channels for the urine to make its way to the leg opening. My other source of leaks is "press-out" when the diaper is reaching capacity and I sit down with adult size force effectively wringing out the absorbent padding and pushing it to the leg openings.

Babies are smaller and less mobile so their diapers stay intact longer, thus not leaking as much. However, I do seem to remember as my daughter grew into a toddler with more movement, more mass and longer periods between changes, her diapers tended to leak a bit more. I also remember as she was potty training, she could not wear a pull-up at night because her voids were too heavy. She needed to wear a diaper at night right up until she stopped wetting the bed even though she had full control during the day.

This last point leads me to what I believe is the largest source of frustration for those managing incontinence, having to wear more protection than they need 90 percent of the time, because on those occasions when they have an accident, it is more than a light or moderate product can absorb. Many people only have occasional accidents, but when they do it is large void. They may wear a pull-up daily in case of an accident only to throw them away dry, but on that odd day when they do have an accident, the pull-up is not enough to prevent a leak.

As much as I hate being dependent on a diaper 24/7, I know I would find it more frustrating if my incontinence were unpredictable. I would hate to be in the situation I know so many are in, where you do not need any protection 3-4 days a week, but on that day when the accident hits you really need a full diaper. To those people I sympathize.

Hi @AlasSouth, Reading your post, it sounds like we should be targeting something like Consumers Report, especially their medical newsletter. I have not seen that newsletter myself, but it sounds like a logical choice for us. And pointing out the products are distributed more on a national basis, rather than locally or regional, brings it home for me as far as where our issue stands. I have absolutely no doubt in my mind that there are enough people in the U.S. who are affected by incontinence and would be interested in a comprehensive compendium of products that we have found to be very useful or not all that great.

MaineSkier... Wow, I can so identify with the last part of your post!!! That's EXACTLY where I am. In the last few years, as my bedwetting has gone from a few times a year to now about once or twice a week, I have gone back to cloth diapers and plastic pants. They are the most practical and economical solution for me.

But it's the DAYTIME issues that really annoy me.. For quite a while, I was getting by with just a Depends Real Fit pull-up. But lately, my urge incontinence seems to fluctuate wildly from day to day. One day, I'm ok, a few dribbles maybe. Then the next day, my system is all wacked out, and I end up with wet pants!! I've had to go to daytime disposable diapers, since the Depends just are not able to handle my increased wetting. I've also had to buy new pants, one size larger, to hide the increased bulk of a diaper.

billliveshere: the Consumer Reports Medical newsletter has to be signed up for separately. If there is another fee, it is minor. I'm not sure, but you may be able to get it by e-mail instead of paper copy via USPs.
MaineSkier: Babies get changed more often, too, even at night. (They can demand it quite loudly ;) ) Once they are awake much of the day/night, and especially when they reach the crawling stage, they are very active, and are experts at contortions (to reach what they shouldn't have!). And when grandparents are there, they get handed back to the parents with the phrase "grandchildren are a Grandparents revenge" (having been a grandparent. I think my daughter got tired of that line! P.S. And i did change diapers, anyway.) :D

So I know this is a old thread but I wanted to pass some info you may find helpful
I am not necessarily putting out an endorsement but I found something that works for me maybe will work for others.
As noted in this thread many (including myself) were lamenting the lack of complete use of the absorbency of a diaper/pull up
I switch to North Shore Supreme Tape on diapers (in blue for something different!). These are very good diapers. I have only had a couple of leaks over what amounts to probably 75-80 Diapers. I have also found that the wetness is dispersed though a large portion of the absorbent material. The absorbent material is high on both sides of these diapers. The diaper itself comes to my bellybutton in the front and the absorbency material is approx 2" below the top of the diaper. In the back it comes to the small of my back and again absorbency is approx 2 below so above where my crack ends. The leaks guards are tall.
If there is one negative I like to wear my diaper tight. For me I find the tapes pop off during the night. Personally I dont not need to take my diaper off once it is on so I put tape over the factory tapes to strengthen. Work very well and keeps the diaper tight all night.
If you're looking for a good absorbent diaper give them a try. They are available in purple, green, blue and white. Plastic backed.

Ive tried the northshore colored diapers and they are very good considering how slim they are. They are very form fitting and a good value.