If they can make baby diapers that don’t leak...

Thanks for the support guys! Covid was pretty much confirmed as I had all the symptoms, my Mum caught it off me and she had a test which was positive. It's nuts, I had it months ago but the after effects are still lingering. Re the teaching, my Dad's partner's niece has just switched from working in the private sector to the state sector and is really struggling and she's been teaching for years so I'm glad it's not just me! It's also why I do get a bit tired of people at work saying "well, I'm young and healthy, I'll be fine." I'm 29 and it's done a real number on me.

@MikeD9876 Yeah, some of the companies do plain designs. Rearz do a plain one (Inspire+) and they would be perfect but appear to be constantly out of stock from the supplier I use here. I may even contact them direct to see if they're ever likely to come back in. I've heard good things about BetterDry on here so will check them out when they come back in stock. I've found that anything under 5-6 litre capacity leaks for me if I have big urge accidents. The thing is, I can't be voiding that much so I wonder if it comes down to just the general build quality.

It's good to know that cloth diapers have good absorbency and last for years. I'm wondering whether something like this may help stop leaks from less absorbent products - clickable text

Hi SciFiFan, You have my very best wishes for a complete recovery from your Covid encounter. Things seem to be tough all over for now but you're doing the best you can in working it out. And as long as you know you're giving it your best shot then that's all we can ask for!
I can appreciate how the past few months have done a real number on you. Just be careful that you keep an eye on your health and don't let anyone push you into doing something that you don't feel right or safe about doing. I always say to trust your instincts and intuition. If something doesn't feel right to you then chances are good it isn't!
I like what Maymay said up above to be kind to yourself and make your health your first priority. That advice works for everyone as well.
Here's wishing you a good, relaxing weekend to try not to think about stressful things and find something fun to do!:D

The original question in this thread had me wondering something.
See if you all have similar experiences.
I wear a plastic backed tape on diaper for bed (right now north shore supreme). Admittedly I believe I am a heavy bedwetter (heavy is a relative term maybe I am light compared to others?) and these diapers work very well for me. Still leak at times but I wet the bed pretty much every night and leak what may average out to a couple times a month?
Anyhow here's my question/statement.
The fit of this diaper is very good for my body. Meaning it's not hard to put it on correctly sealed to my body. The plastic comes almost to my belly button in the front. 3-4" above my crack ending in the rear, at the small of my back. The absorbent material stops maybe 2" below the top of the plastic. So in light of that on the front side I have about 6-8" of absorbent material above my "outlet". (I apply my diaper pointed down obviously it would be mush less if you apply your diaper pointed up)For reference I wear large size, I am on the tall side.
Now, Why is it in the morning there is quite a bit of absorbent material on both sides of my body that appear to be dry? Why do the manufacturers put so much pad in the diaper but then not really allow me to use it all? It would seem to me if there were a way to distribute the wetness through the entire diaper by default the capacity would be much higher.
I am wondering if any of you have noticed the same thing?
Since I switched to Northshore I have never leaked out the top of either side of my diaper. I seem to always leak where my butt cheeks meet my legs. If we could use the whole diaper then maybe by default leaks would be less frequent?

I think the issue is many/most disposable diapers don't wick the urine out across the whole diaper as well as cloth diapers do. When I have a heavy flow night in cloth diapers, the diaper is evenly wet, front to back. If I have a really wet night in a disposable diaper, (which I only use when traveling.) the front will be thoroughly soaked and start to leak, while the back of the diaper will still be dry.

One way I try to over come this issue is to always wear plastic pants over disposable diapers, which has saved me from wet beds many times.

Hi @MikeD9876 That's an interesting observation and I never thought of that. I've never had experience with cloth diapers so I am unable to compare. But your explanation sounds most reasonable. And by wearing plastic pants over the disposables shows you are really taking a pro-active approach which is a good thing for all of us to think about.

Ive noticed with my pull ups that they are ok with little anounts at a time even if it adds up to a large amount but if its all at once they dont seem to have time to soak it up and it can go over the edges. Bit of a problem if your out especially as its almost imposible to stop once it starts

@Alana
I have that problem too. Pull ups are tough. Trying to find a balance of good absorbency without something that is so bulky anyone can tell what you're wearing.
I know exactly what your referring to when you mention about not being able to stop. Been there many, many times. In addition it is difficult to control how quickly the bladder empties, and how much is coming out.
There are high absorbency pullups (I've had good luck in the past with Abena (I think you can get those?))that do absorb more than others, and still allow for some discretion.
If you can find a product that has standing leak guards they do help in channeling liquids back to the center of the diaper. But even with those get them wet enough and they will leak. I have to be careful when sitting down. Seems to "squeeze" out.
I have have found experimentation is the key. Try something if it doesn't work well for you move on to the next, until you find the one that works for you.

I would like to have an open letter to Northshore Abena even TENA who seem to be available in other countries like Britain asking to READ the specifics of what Tim outlines and sign this as a group the NAFC. We are the tip of the incontinent iceberg,, represent the diaper buying public and they should know there are thousands if not millions not in our group who need to have better products.
Sorr go a GoFundMe or change.org concept. A petition.

Hi @Alana, I agree with Tim that something with standing leak guards is definitely the key! Not familiar with what products you have over there would have this feature, but it is worth checking into. If there are no leak guards then there really is nothing to stop the flow from going out between the legs to places where you definitely don't want it! And "squeeze-out" then becomes a problem and that limits the capacity of the brief. Barring that, I would go with something that has a bit heavier absorbency, or even use booster pads. I've been in situations before when out and about when it's sometimes impossible to stop the flow once you get going! :O For me that usually happens in cooler weather and not so much when it's hot. I guess cooler weather is coming and maybe I should check and see what my needs will be!
I hope that helps!

Hi Maymay, That is an interesting proposal you are proposing. Certainly a petition would be worth considering. I think you're right that there could even be millions of us who need to have better products. I like the way you put it that we are the tip of "the incontinence iceberg." Well I think that's appropriate as I don't know of any other group who is so open with each other as we are about incontinence and how products can be made better.
Any idea of how to get something like this off the ground and flying! Anyone????

I wish Tim would rewrite his post ashe explains the salient issue of absorbent placement quite concisely. A letter we can all download and sign noting mem of NAFC and mail to the manufacturers whose names and contact dept would need to be ferreted up.

@Tim I think you've probably hit the nail on the head when it comes to leaking issues. The fact that it doesn't distribute across the whole pad probably explains why the given capacity of any product is much larger than it is in reality - i.e. the manufacturers give the absorbency of the whole pad but it's unlikely you'll ever use it all.

My issue is certainly that big voids tend to always be concentrated in one spot and that even the most absorbent products struggle to contain them. If I'm travelling I always use a booster, even with the really high capacity products.

@Maymay941 It would be interesting to contact companies. I guess they'd argue that technically their products are the given absorbency.

MayMay & billliveshere: there is a generic and simple program, out there on the internet, for polling and petitioning. It may even be free. Darn it! My memory won't come up with the name. Sort of like "go fund me", but for polling-petitioning.
Search engine term "survey programs" didn't bring up what i wanted, just "survey gizmo" and the like. The term "petitioning" seems to be a programmers' specialized term.
Maybe it's "Survey Monkey"? I see that one on the bottom of the type of message asking for "reviews" of services or products.

Hi SciFiFan, You are definitely not alone in noticing that when there is a big void it seems to be concentrated all in one spot. Happens to me, too! And I think you have a point in that the manufacturers state the absorbency of the whole pad but in reality most of it isn't used by most active people who move around. The only exception I can think of may be people who are not active but are completely bedridden and if they are lying on their back then the whole pad would most likely get complete usage.

I have tried all pads and they all disappoint. I leak all day long and I use 10-12 pads a day.They lie in there advertising and we are stuck with all the bills. I am an active person, walk and swim, clean house and shop and cook. This costs us a lot of money. Have you heard of any company that is trying to come up with a better product? The absorbency is a joke.
I still say let’s call our congressman and demand some relief. We didn’t ask for this and it’s a health problem. I have had this condition all of my life and it just is so unbearable.

Hi @Pmikula, You don't want to call my congressman because he won't do a cotton-pickin' thing! In fact I wish I could vote him out this year! But enough of the politics, already!! :O I do have an idea for you, however. I read about your using pads all day and how their absorbency leaves lots to be desired. May I suggest pull-ups? They are about as compact as regular underwear and are pretty discreet. You won't have to worry about pads moving around or just getting discombobulated through regular use. The pull-ups move with you. There are many different brands out there and some are light absorbency while others are super-absorbent or even in overnight absorbency. One thing to look for is called stand-up leak guards that keep things channeled in the garment. I like Alyne. It's a new brand marketed by Norton Hurley out in Spearfish, S.D. They are compact, discreet and surprisingly absorbent for all their compactness.
Whether you go with the Alyne or another brand, try some samples and see what you think! I hope this helps!

Hi AlasSouth, I have heard of Survey Monkey and have taken a survey or two on it. I don't remember the site that had it. I guess if our idea is to survey that may be a possibility. I'm not aware of any other survey sites however.

Thanks Bill,I will follow your suggestions. I do have pull ups that I wear off and on. Your a wise person and very helpful to those of us “crying in the wilderness”.

Thank you @Pmikula, That's really kind of you and I appreciate that! Sometimes in dealing with incontinence there comes a time to "step up" your protection. I still use the pull-ups and they serve me well, until if, as and when I get to the next stage. But then you hate to admit it but as our bodies change over time so do our needs. If you go the pull-ups route, instead of using 10 to a dozen pads a day, you may need only two or three pull-ups instead and that may save you some money. And it would be much easier than fussing with a bunch of wet pads all the time.