How to best manage?

Archives1

Staff member
So I've been struggling figuring out how to best manage my incontinence during the day. I tend to get frequent urges and usually can reach a toilet but if not either I will leak a little or less frequently have huge surges. I've found that when wearing protection I try to hold my bladder longer which results in more frequent accidents. I am not sure whether it is best to go without protection as then I make sure to find to toilet but then I worry I will be in a situation I won't reach a toilet fast enough. I could use a pull up which works great for any leakage and I can still use the toilet when I need it but makes me tend to try to hold it longer and then more likely to have large accidents because if my bladder completely lets go the pull ups aren't always able to absorb everything. Or I could use a tape on diaper and not really have to worry about leaks from my protection but then won't be able to easily use the toilet when I do make it. I was wondering if anybody has any advice or thoughts?

I suggest a pull-up with a pad inside. Both are available through Northshore. You can make it to the toilet with a little insurance.

I've found pull ups just don't work for me as I am quite active and the diapers work even if I use the restroom. I use the molicare super slips and you can re tape if needed but they pull down and up just fine.

I had Botox injections on June 9 and have experienced tremendous relief. I'm going back for more injections in December. I highly recommend this. I am a 63 yr old woman.

Petejc said:
I've found pull ups just don't work for me as I am quite active and the diapers work even if I use the restroom. I use the molicare super slips and you can re tape if needed but they pull down and up just fine.
I've never been able to really figure out how to get a taped on diaper down and refastened properly

It's really not that hard, most tape on style diapers either have a Velcro style fastener or a double tape to refasten. Plus most have an elastic waist so they can be pulled down and back up.

I don't think many have elastic waists I haven't seen many especially with plastic backing which I use at nights and if I have to use in the day I would use in the day

A pull up of good quality, and that should be enough. Schedule your toilet visits, and stick to it, like every 60 or 90 minutes, even 2 hours if you can manage safely, will eliminate the accidents if you do, works for me during the day, rare to have any issues when I follow the clock, so to speak...

Skinnyb said:
A pull up of good quality, and that should be enough. Schedule your toilet visits, and stick to it, like every 60 or 90 minutes, even 2 hours if you can manage safely, will eliminate the accidents if you do, works for me during the day, rare to have any issues when I follow the clock, so to speak...
My issue is with my schedule is it is difficult to stick to using the toilet on a timed schedule. I typically have been using good quality pull ups but have had issues when I have had full blown bladder blowouts which I don't have often but have happened to me

Greengold4, you have described my dilemma precisely. So far, it has been helpful to me if I prepare based on how much control I have over my environment. If I am at home (often, since I am retired), my ability to get to the toilet on time is pretty much up to me - I just can't dally once I get the signal. If I am out shopping or to the theatre or concert, then I may be able to minimize risk by scheduling trips to the toilet, but some protection is mandatory. If I am on a long trip by car or bus, there may be no toilet facilities, which requires maximum protection. If traveling by air, I know I will have access to toilets, but no control over when, so timely response to urges may not be possible. My experience is like yours - more protection than necessary leads to increase in frequency and severity of accidents, so minimal is best when feasible.

I should add, there is a lot of terminology i don't know. What is a pull-up? A molicare? A confidry? Which are types, and which are brand names? I experience bowel incontinence rarely, but my guess is it will escalate, and I know that the paper underwear I use now for protection is unlikely to do well under severe stress, so i wonder about how to manage escalation. Where can i learn about pads that work for males?

pull-ups is a garment that you can pull on as compared to a tape on adult diaper. Molicare and Confidry are brand names. I would recommend using plastic backed adult diapers if you have bowel incontinence I personally don't but from what I have read that is probably your best bet

Thank you. The paper underwear has absorbent material built in, and goes on by pulling up, with no fly. Sounds like the same as a pull-up. Those brands must be regional.

Those brands aren't regional but aren't available in supermarkets and such really your not going to find any products that do a good job of dealing with incontinence in a supermarket

Jjac41972 Hi, sounds like you're having a fair amount of information given to you, it takes awhile!

I suggest that you Google incontinence products for males, obviously be very careful where you order supplies as alot of them are only available online, I always have a pen and paper with me to make notes and the sites I trust I bookmark them!

I suggest that you use PayPal as your order is guaranteed!

There are so very many products out there, I'm from Canada and don't have quite as many choices as in the USA, but we do have enough sources with alot of male, female and children's supplies whether for Urinary or Bowel! Good luck on your search, be sure to continue to pick the forum members brains!