How long have you had incontinence

Archives1

Staff member
I started having it in my teens. I had many doctors and meds never seams to get better. Only recently I can deal with it openly. My friend had me talk to his son who has a oab and has started to need to wear diapers. I know for me it was not easy at a early age but now I can deal with it. Both are just upset over the reality of needing pull-ups or a diaper for daily life.

I still struggle with it like 5 years in. I started having issues and was formally diagnosed at age 32. 37 now. OAB. Physical therapy helped initially. Then started meds. Most meds had horrible side effects and such. Plus most stop working after a few months.

I still to this day can’t bring myself to wear diapers all the time. On days when I’m doing something where I don’t wanna wear protection I just don’t drink any water.

The hardest part is that I still think it’s all in my head. I beat myself up thinking I can control it if I think harder. Also my heat breaks for teens in this position. I havnt had any dates or anything since this started. Had met some wonderful women and flirted but never asked for a date because if it works out I’m just terrified about the diaper thing.

I had problems during school. I then had a dry spell until I started getting prostatitis on a regular basis. Eventually I had prostate surgery and things got much worse. I have been wearing diapers/nappies for about 6 years.

It's not in your head!!!!!

I have had OAB all my life; I am 76. I was diagnosed when I was about 16, by a urologist who didn't deal very competently with me - all I can remember is that after I woke up from the anaesthetic and was still non compos mentis, a man came in to my room and said something which I possibly didn't hear properly and certainly didn't understand. My father was a doctor and connected to the hospital, the urologist a friend of his, the result was that my parents, and my older brother and sisters, knew that I had OAB and what it was, I didn't. I had the procedure repeated in later years and got the diagnosis which I understood that time. I was always a bed-wetter for as long as I can remember, needed the loo frequently, and had accidents. If we were out for a Sunday drive, or going anywhere by car, it was understood that if I wanted to go to the loo, the car stopped as soon as possible and I hopped over a gate into a field to go. No question of waiting for the next town ten miles away. Later, if I was with friends (I didn't know many students or young workers who had a car!) I would explain my need to go, and everyone was very understanding.

I have been using protection for years - I survived without when I was young, but looking back, I should have used it. From the 80s on I used protection at night - couldn't find anything to buy except plastic pants at a chemist, so manufactured my own protection with them. There just wasn't any good protection readily available then - something like incontinence was not much considered even by doctors or pharmacists; things were still at quite a primitive stage.

I dated, slept with people.

From the 2000s, protection all the time. I always knew incontinence was not imagined, there was no way that by 'taking thought' I could prevent it from happening. Nor can you. A psychotherapist might help you to understand and accept your condition better - ??

If a woman is worthwhile and if your date/relationship is working out she will not be a bit concerned about OAB or diapers, just sympathetic. If she is not, she isn't worth dating.

I have always had a weak bladder and wet my bed until my early 20s and often had wet pants until I was almost 11. My present incontinence and bedwetting started in my late 40s and I am 60 now so at least 12 years.

Lifelong bedwetter and daytime leakage basically forever. When I was younger Dr.s would just say the problem would correct itself. I remember my mom arguing with one doctor because I was in thick training type pants with plastic pants during the day. Always wet when I got home from school and too often pants would be slightly wet or more. Soaked diapers every morning and she tried telling the dr. There must be something else going on. Alarms, meds. Etc, nothing worked. I even had 2 urologists in my 20s prescribe more meds! I finally found a smart urologist that did a through urodynamic study which discovered I had a neurogenic bladder, probably since birth since no other health conditions were discovered. I was told it’s not a curable condition but surgery “might” help. I chose to not go the surgical route. I’ve just lived managing and am very comfortable where I am.

I struggled with potty training until around age 10. It was blamed on a variety of reasons, but knowing what I do now I think it was caused by my sensory processing disorder. I wet at night until around 15 or 16 though. Then at 22 I had a pretty bad car wreck resulting in a TBI. Since that I haven't had the feeling of needing to pee hardly at all. Sometimes I'll get a feeling of pressure, which turns out is my bladder being at its capacity point. However the moment I get up the sphincter muscle can't handle the pressure so immediately gives out and floods whatever I'm wearing. So I have worn pull ups then diapers 24/7 again since I was 22. It will be 10 years since th car wreck next month.

I had a period of infrequent bed-wetting in my late teens and early twenties. Had diagnostics that found no identifiable physical problems and the situation resolved itself. Nearly forty years later I realized I was experiencing bed-wetting again. I have BPH (not severe) and ED, PSA levels are good, but experience periodic small leaks throughout the day. So I’m now in about a year and a half and am currently wearing pull-ups every day and tab diapers every night.

I will say I used to be very self conscious about it, and worr Yoder it constantly. Now though I barely notice them other than when I need to change. I also don't worry about what others think about it. I used to be very cautious to hide that I was wearing. Mainly that was due to not wanting to deal with people's judgemental BS more so than anything else. I've never cared overly much about what others think of me. Just don't care for dealing with drama I can avoid lol

So my issues stemmed from delayed toilet training - had daytime issues due to fear and lack of awareness until I was around 9 - and had Bedwetting incidents throughout my childhood as well.

Around teen years 15 and 16 my bladder problems came back in the form of Overactive bladder. Had to use the restroom once an hour during school.

At 26, started suffering from Overactive Bladder again and not being able to hold my bladder at night and worsened around COVID-19 - went from hourly urgencies to 7-15 minute urgency and sometimes at its worse even now at 29 - suffer from Urge Incontinence episodes.

I've found that as an adult, suffering from LOBC has been a struggle for myself as bladder control as a young child and being humiliated and abused by adults, left it as an internal trigger. I highly recommend the book "The Body Keeps the Score" for anybody on here that goes through those same thoughts and feelings.

At 29, I've learned to live with my condition and plan out bathroom breaks and making sure I'm near a bathroom when I'm home or out and about - but also came to terms with wearing protection at night and not feeling different because of it regardless of what others think.

I'd rather live a pain free life of bladder spasms and incontinence episodes then live a life of constant pain and pressure due to the ignorance of societal norms.

Sincerely,
Honeeecombs

I am 69 and have been getting pelvic pain since 2003 off and on. I now know it is caused by the nerves. When the nerve is active it can give me much pain, causes urinary frequency and reflex /urge incontinence. In March 2022 the nerve bacame active continuously and I was in pain all the time until I had prostate surgery. The surgery in September removed the pain in the one area but pain then seemed to be eminating from the anal sphincter and the urinary bladder sphincter making me feel like I had to go all the time and I had both fecal and urinary incontinence. When I really had to make a bum the pain was unbearable. The pain in the anal area was so bad I could not sit. I went to physical therapy and the anal pain is minimal and I have no fecal incontinence. The pain from the urinary area has gotten better but I have frequency, reflex, urge incontinence as well as stress incontinence. This nerve seems to be extremely sensitive to pressure. While the urinary sphincter pain was high when I coughed it sent electrical shocks down my leg and up to the chest from this area.
I am extremely happy right now since for the first time in many years with this nerve active I have no real pain. I also so far am cancer free.
The urinary incontinence is still very bad. I am wearing diapers at this time and they do a good job of controlling the incontinence and keeping me dry I do not think people understand how great it is not to have nerve pain. I pray that the pain does not come back. I could live with wearing diapers since this what works best to control it but it seems everyone is judging me since I should be doing better at controlling it. If the nerve gets better like it use to I think I would only be dealing with stress incontinence. I have been doing the Kegels for the external sphincter but it appears to be the bladder sphincter to be the problem. My bladder just lets go at times. I am so frustrated that I am not doing as well as others after prostate cancer but I have many issues. While initially it seemed Oxybutin was helping it came back with a vengeance. I know my PT is trying to help by telling me things to do to stop the incontinence but I’ve been trying all these things.
I wish everybody happiness always.

I'm an 80 year old woman who has bladder issues. I have had two operations and obviously neither worked. I have to wear pullup with a napkin all the time. It is a real pain in the ass. The doctor doesn't think there is anything that can be done at this point. I hate it! my life has really gone down hill since I have had the operations. Does anyone have any suggestions? I am at at loss.

Bed wetting and OAB all my life. Urge incontinence set in after a bout with Covid 2.5 years ago.

Overnight protection since my teens, and added daytime protection after Covid.

I’m in my early 40’s and I’m in otherwise great health, so never messed with meds. Wearing protection just isn’t that big of a deal for me. No side effects, and no one’s noticed so I really see no reason to alter what I’m doing.

For seven years and two weeks since I fell down a cliff…. though I guess it took six to nine months for the nerves to die off all the way. So I guess it’s been between six and seven years, and will last for the rest of my life.

I guess it depends on how you define incontinence... I assume bedwetting counts.

I was a bedwetter every night until I was in my mid-teens, then it tapered off and I was completely dry from about 17 yrs old, and thru my 20's. In my 30's, I started having rare random bedwetting, like once or twice a year. It slowly increased thru my 40's and 50's, to the point where I was wetting the bed once or twice a month.

A few years ago, now in my 60's, I saw my doctor after I had started bedwetting 1 to 2 times a week. I also started wearing diapers every night at this point, though I've had a plastic sheet on my bed since my 30's. After seeing several doctors and many tests, they could find no cause for my wetting, and marked it up to family history. (Other bedwetters in my family tree..)

Now in my mid 60's, I wet the bed almost every night, heavy enough to merit the use of cloth diapers and plastic pants. I've also been dealing with increasing urge incontinence during the day, to the point that if I know I won't be near a restroom for more than an hour, I wear a diaper to prevent wet pants.

@Jayindiapers My issue has been with bedwetting. Started in my teens. Was dry up to then with only a few wet pants or bed incidents since toilet training. It started slowly, so slowly that I didn't even really realize I was bedwetting till I was in my early 20's. I was only having a few accidents at night a year. My bedwetting has varied through the years with some being more frequent and other less. Now it seems to have settled into a couple of times a month more or less.

That's my quick history. Happy to talk and offer support to a fellow bedwetter. It is a struggle some times, but we can get through it together.

JT

I'm an 80-year-old man. My incontinence dates back to a surgical mishap when I was 14 years old in 1956. I've never been reliably dry at night since then, and I have what nowadays is called an overactive bladder, which means that I get sudden very strong urges to urinate that cannot be postponed more than a few minutes. If I can't get to a bathroom quickly enough I wet myself.

my incurable neurogenic bladder is the sequela of a 2006 AVM bleed that destroyed all sensory and motor function.

I think every American should get the care the county Medicare clinic hands out unless they pay out of pocket.

@tripichick I think every American should get premium level Healthcare no matter their income. However I think what you pay for that Healthcare insurance should be based on your income. Insurance companies have gotten too content with their place. They hoard more money than they have to pay out, and our Healthcare system has gotten too corrupt and money hungry. With doctors and facilities charging the insurance companies outrageous amounts for services and equipment.