New to incontinence..on the fence about accepting using diapers

Itapilot, It is too bad you just had to remember to take out that wet diaper the night before! Had you left it in there that would have served those lowlifes right!:eek: After all nothing is too good for those brazen enough to break into cars and rip us off! But your solution to use a small cheaper looking backpack is right on!:cool: Way to go!

I have started to notice I’m not nearly as many accidents and not needing to change as often..most would think this is good but I’ve thought back and realized I’ve only been consuming about 40 ounces of fluids a day since this has been happening..so is my lack of accidents solely due to low fluid intake and a sign I’m dehydrated and not a sign of becoming dry again?and am I better off drinking more fluids and protecting myself verses being dry with little fluid intake

To answer your question succinctly, you are better off drinking more fluids and upgrading your protection than you are in being dry with little fluid intake. You may feel okay now since you're drier, but the effects of dehydration can creep up on you and cause all sorts of complications that you don't want. And that's especially true during the summer. So whatever you wear for protection for now, just upgrade to the next higher level of absorbency.

@Mchambers My opinion is you should be drinking double that amount in a day as long as you have not got cardiac problems. Keeping the urine as clear as possible and neutral as possible is the best for your health.

I can relate to the dehydration issue. Been doing a lot of travelling and staying with relatives (who don't know about my issues) for work related reasons and I really cut down my fluid intake and went back to using the small guards. Big mistake on both counts and whilst it cut down on bathroom trips and leakage, without being properly hydrated I felt really awful.

I think the issue is though is that during the pandemic (here in the UK anyway) lots of public restrooms are closed so that makes an accident far more likely and if I do have one it's unlikely that I'll be able to find somewhere to change.

Generally though, if it's practical, I feel much better physically using more absorbent products and drinking whenever I'm thirsty.

@Sci_Fi_Fan At least this is one of the very few benefits wearing protection today, having a good pad which wicks away the fluid and keeps you feeling dry until you can change, and you can still go out and not have to worry about finding toilets to get you through the day.

laalaauk said:
@Sci_Fi_Fan At least this is one of the very few benefits wearing protection today, having a good pad which wicks away the fluid and keeps you feeling dry until you can change, and you can still go out and not have to worry about finding toilets to get you through the day.

True. I wonder how many more people will end up using these products because of the current situation. I've invested in some really high capacity products for when I'm out and about and hope they will do the trick. The issue I have is that the Tena Ultima capacity is sufficient for my general leaks throughout the day (found that the Maxi wasn't quite cutting it) but wouldn't feel confident about having any big mishaps on top of that and not being able to change ASAP. It's more my IBS issues that are problematic in that regard so weirdly I don't feel that at ease about the lack of toilets.

My thoughts about using diapers have changed drastically over the years. I was a bedwetter until my mid teens. My parents used diapers for me off and on, depending on the family budget and their attitude, that changed from time to time. Also, my dad had been a bedwetter, so there was a genetic link too. I remember the Doc telling me at age 14, that based on my history, I might have bedwetting issues through out my life, and it might get worse when I got older.

When the bedwetting stopped in my late teens, I thought "Yes!! Victory! No more diapers or wet beds!!"
I was dry thru my 20's, but in my mid 30's, I started having bedwetting issues again, but VERY RARELY, like only once or twice a year. Of course, I certainly wasn't going to wear diapers again for something that happened so rarely. I did make sure the bed always had a good water proof mattress cover on it though.
Fast-forward to my late 50's... The once or twice a year bedwetting became 3 or 4 times a year. I still maintained my strategy, of "Just protect the bed." However, now in my 60's, the bedwetting is getting more frequent, 3 or 4 times a month, sometimes twice a week! Now I had to change my plan. First I tried disposable diapers, but that wasn't really practical, since even when I didn't wet, I could only use the diaper a few nights before it would start to fall apart. They get kind of expensive when you're on a budget. So I went to cloth diapers and plastic pants for my bedwetting issues, and they seem to be the logical solution, from a cost point. Also, I've been having some random urge incontinence issues in the daytime, so I use the disposable diapers when I'm having a bad day.

I've been to the doctors a few times, in fact I have a CT Urogram tomorrow. The doctor ordered the CT scan to rule out anything physical, but I believe he also thinks it comes down to genetics and family history. So from absolutely hating diapers as a teen, (As any kid would..) I now recognize and accept that diapers have a role in my life once again, possibly even more, if my daytime control gets worse. However, compared to family and friends, with all their ailments that come with age, and all the people I know who have already passed away, having to wear diapers is REALLY a minor problem!