Holding it

Archives1

Staff member
At 3 months Post RP, I find my leakage is about half of what it was. Most days, I'm leaking between 2 1/2 and 4 oz. I wonder if it helps to try to hold it for as long as I can before racing to the bathroom, or if I should race to the bathroom as soon as I get the urge.
I also wonder if it matters that on some days I limit my intake of water to 32 oz or does it help in healing to keep drinking at least 64 oz of water a day. I don't really notice any significant change in leakage volume whether I drink more or less.

I hold it at first urge usually because that will go away, for a bit. I know when I should get up and go. It usually about once an hour. I don't measure influent or effluent. No magic bullet for answers here, it is entirely up to you and what you are comfortable with, in my opinion. Good luck.

Urge incontinence and frequency is less common with RP is my understanding and more likely after radiation. The frequency issue tends to settle down after a period of time up to a year. My issue has never been urgency, but stress incontinemce when lifting something heavy, or brisk walking, usually worse later in the day. An incontinence nurse told me on one occasion to try timed voids in order to train your bladder, gradually extending the time between each void.

I definitely understand stress incontinence, just didn't know what to call it. I usually go through 1 pad a day at work because I am able to do most everything either at my desk or jump on a golf cart to go help my team when necessary. At home, on the weekends, more like 2 to 3 because I am busy all day building fence, planting something, on a tractor or working on the race car. The more I do, the worse it is. I keep a urinal in the shop to help but it still leaks quite a bit. BUT, what are you going do, life doesn't stop and I am not going to stop living it.

I am 55 yrs old and 9 mos from Robotic RP.

I still have stress incontinence, but much less - now for me, the worst times are when I have to cough or sneeze...when something tickles my throat and I have successive coughs.

Most days, without those issues, I don't have too many issues. Sometimes I can go several days with the same pad, even. For me, I have less issues in the morning than at night when the body gets tired, but none while sleeping, unless I consume too much alcohol. I am trying to drink more water, but have gotten back to coffee and regular drinks, as I desire them.

I was either told by a doctor or read on this forum that you can train your bladder to hold it longer again by NOT going right away and increasing the time slightly as time goes on, but making sure you have time to make it! Along the same lines as those above have said...

+God+bless+