Do hotels offer bed protection?

Archives1

Staff member
Going on a trip this weekend and staying at a hotel - question - do hotels offer bed protection for incontinence people in case diaper leaks or should I just bring my own water proof cover?

Bring your own. Alternatively purchase disposables but they probably won't have anything like that unfortunately.

Call them in advance of your stay and ask. Some will. When I was in vacation in Florida years ago, I emailed them and they put on a mattress protector on the bed, same thing when I went to Vegas. Both hotels were accomondating.

@Chadindiapers My experience has been that they don’t. They may give you a wool blanket to use, but we all know those don’t work. I always take my own.

That depends on the hotel. I can only speak for Europe and especially Germany. Here I have made the experience that perhaps 60% of the better hotels have PUR encasings or at least a mattress protector under the sheets or can provide. For vacation apartments it works unfortunately only rarely.

I am often away on business for a day or two and always hate to lug everything around with me. So I usually ask in advance if the hotel can provide this service. In my opinion, something like this is a matter for the hotel - especially since I already paid attention to this before my problems - for hygienic reasons alone, because unfortunately I have experienced it a few times that if you have looked under the sheet the mattress no longer looked so great.

I think it is definitely a good idea to talk to the hotel if you want to avoid extra luggage. Hotels see a lot of things and you are certainly not the first customer they have with continence problems and deal with it discreetly. I have never had a bad experience - on the contrary, if they are attentive, they even put a larger trash can in the bathroom.

I've never seen it advertised on the list of a hotel's services, but once you get above the level of Super 8, ask.
They take in babies - and babies leak.

Crazy life hack... If you forget or don't bring a bed protected with you, the shower curtain always works in a pinch.

Or for that matter, above the level of Motel 6 (but they will leave the light on for you!!) Seriously @Chadindiapers, I would play it safe and bring your own mattress protection. Counting on hotels to provide something like that is just too chancy!! So please play it safe!
Oh.....and one more thing........

have a nice and safe trip!!!!

I’ve always been too embarrassed to ask. I always bring a pack of disposable bed pads with me just in case I leak.

That's a good question, Snow! As purely guessing, that may be true. It does cause more work for the housekeeping staff as well as time and cleaning supplies to mitigate mattress damage. I really wouldn't want anyone here to find out the hard way!!!

@Chadindiapers This is an interesting question. As an occasional bedwetter when staying at a hotel I usually just wear night pull-ups under my cloths. Most of the time I wake dry but the few times. I wake wet I am happy I had them on.

As to hotel bed protection being provided. I have two observations.

First, as a bedwetter, I have checked sometimes, out of curiosity, to see if there was some type of protection on the bed. Most of the time when I have done this it usually is just a regular mattress pad then the fitted sheet. Though a few times I have found that the mattress pad was one of the quilted topped waterproof kind and found Protect-A-Bed product as the pad.

Second I have, again out of curiosity mostly, emailed the hotel or put a comment in the comment box when making the reservation, asking if bed protection was available. Majority of the time I get no reply at all. A few times I do get a reply that says that they do not have any. But to my surprise, and slight embarassment, I have had a few times where they did reply and said that they would put a waterproof pad on the bed. One hotel even went as far as saying that they didn't but that the manager would go out and buy some and have it before my date of arrival. I let them know that I appreciated the extra level of service but that it was not necessary for them to buy anything and that I would bring my own protection. The interactions were always professional.

I typically stay at Hilton hotels like Hampton Inn, Homewood Suites or Hilton Garden Inn. Also the new Tru brand they have. This give you an idea of the level of hotel my experience has been with.

So as follow up. As others have said if you are concern call or email the hotel before and see if they have protection available. The majority will most likely not, but you never know until you ask.

Good luck on your trip and have some fun and enjoy.

JT

@snow That is a good question.

Thankfully I've never wet a hotel bed. Wet my night pull-ups a few times but not the bed.

On a related question. Does anyone know if adult diapers can be purchased on a cruise ship? My wife and I will be going on a Viking cruise next April, and would like pack fewer diapers if I can purchase them on the ship.

snow said:
I wonder if they ever charge you if you had an accident?
Thankfully I've never had to find out, but my best guess would be - yes. Taxi cabs charge a soiling fee after all so I would expect no less from an hotel.

On the other hand if you contact the hotel ahead of your stay and request protection for the matress, I don't believe the hotel could charge you if they ignored your request and the matress ended up wet.

That said I would hate to be the one having that discussion at the front desk at checkout time.

Hi @Phil6003, That's an interesting point about hotels. If you do contact a hotel, through email or even voice, have some sort of proof of the conversation with you so if you had requested protection for the mattress ahead of your stay and thy still ignored that, then with proof of the conversation at the ready, they should not charge you since you had already told them and it was through their subsequent negligence that the mattress was ruined. So maybe it would be best to make such requests through email so you can have a copy of that as your defense.
And yes, I definitely don't envy anyone who has to have that discussion with the front desk person when checking out!!!!! Would not be a good omen to start the day!!!

@Damp, that was a good question. So does anyone know if cruise ships have a place or way to purchase adult diapers while on board??? Not contemplating a cruise any time soon, mind you, but it's still an interesting idea. And if so, then people going on cruises can really cut down on the diapers they pack in their luggage. And that would be a good thing!

We should all go on a cruise once COVID abates! We could wear MAFC tee shirts.

If hotels don’t offer waterproof mattress beds… ewwwwww, gross! I think they should be required by the EPA or CDC.

Hi @snow, I think you mean NAFC T-shirts!!😊 But that is an interesting idea, having the cruise 🚤ship nearly overrun by these people with the NAFC T-shirts!!! It would definitely raise awareness of what we're facing and dealing with on a day-to-day basis. So where would this cruise go??