Diapers and Sweating

Archives1

Staff member
Having recently made the move to plastic backed nappies/diapers I've noticed many positives, however there's one issue that is bugging me - sweating. I was wondering if anyone has found any products particularly helpful in alleviating this issue.

Powder is my only suggestion but to be honest that doesn't always work either. I know some nights I just can't get comfortable and have to take mine off so I can sleep. Sometimes it works out, other times I have laundry to do in the morning.

Your body will adapt over time, so that sweating will be less troublesome. It never fully goes away, though.

In my case, if I have a day when I'm mostly in my office and not very active physically, sweating is no longer even an issue. If I'm out in the plant, working in some of the areas where the temperature is high or doing a lot of physical work, then I will still sweat significantly under my brief, but it's not as bothersome as it used to be. I've had a few occasions where I've had a dry day (about a third of my days are dry), but when I take my brief off after an active, hot day, it's nearly as heavy as after an accident.

I haven't found any products that are particularly helpful. I used to use some unscented powder to help absorb sweat, but it didn't really help much with keeping things comfortable so I will using it. The biggest thing I've done is to find a brief that doesn't clump or disintegrate when it absorbs sweat, which helps about the discomfort of sitting on hard lumps of padding, or having the padding fall apart and shift around so that the brief won't absorb properly if I have an accident. Many of the premium briefs from various manufacturers are decent in this regard, but you may have to try some different ones to find what works best for you.

I do keep some cloth-backed diapers on hand to wear with I'm working out. They're more breathable than the plastic-backed ones, but they don't work well for me for regular use - they tend to say basket after a few hours, which can lead to leakage, and when I need to walk a lot they will chafe me raw on the inside of my thighs and in the crease between my legs and torso.

yes wearing diapers especially plastic-backed diapers are equivalent to wrapping yourself in a plastic bag and it can be even worse is you wear plastic pants I will only wear plastic-backed diapers as I have tried the clothlike covered diapers and have many fails with them such as odor and wetness wicking out and even worse chafing issues so it is only plastic-backed diapers for but as I compared wearing plastic backed diapers as to being the equivalent to wrapping yourself in a plastic bag it does get hot and you have to be more vigilant with the skincare using things like diaper rash cream possibly baby oil and ore vaseline can help but a big help would be baby powder and with asbestos being found in some talcum powder I would recommend corn starch powder and if you can do some diaper-free time perhaps sit or lay on an underpad with your diaper area naked and allow yourself some time to air out and breathe it can all help

Thanks for the replies. It's not a massive issue when I'm just at home but in the warmer weather I've really noticed it when walking around outside. I completely get the pad disintegration issue, which is why I switched to thicker, plastic backed products. I'm finding the Tena Maxi and Ultima slips much better for this, having been very disappointed with their cloth 'plus' products. I'll see if powder helps.

I feel so bad for you all that have to use these in the daytime too.. I cant imagine having to deal with that. With the plastic ones I would be mortified if someone heard me walking by them :-(

JC1471 said:
I feel so bad for you all that have to use these in the daytime too.. I cant imagine having to deal with that. With the plastic ones I would be mortified if someone heard me walking by them :-(

I was really concerned about the noise issue at first but found that it's not that much of an issue really. It's only really noticeable under sweatpants and as I only wear them around the house, it's not a big concern. For me, the added protection that plastic brings lessens any downsides. Even with my mild dribbling issue, with cloth products I still found that some odour would escape and/or the pad with break down. I still find the biggest concealment issue with diapers to be the back rising up quite high and peeking out.

Yeah, sweating isn’t that great so try to wear the lightest thing you can to prevent a fungal infection. There are some good non prescription powders and some good prescription ones that can help if you get one. I use different products based on what’s going on. Since I’m a guy if we are just watching tv sometimes a male guard will work or a liner inside underwear (they are like a big pad with tape to hold it in place. (Love the Northshore xl pads) guys use them with the back in the front area. Much better coverage for your parts and prevents leaks pretty well. If running to gas station for a subway sub, pad or depends pull-up or if out longer or over night, diaper like BetterDry or MegaMax. I recently figured out that if you take a diaper doubler and tape it across the front of the briefs if you sleep on your stomach you should not have issues with the front leaking if you were thirsty before bed.
Two works even better. Northshore sells these also in several sizes and capacities to fit your chosen products well. (I’m referring to the doublers that you just tape to the inside of an absorbent product- they do not have a plastic backing, they just increase capacity. If it’s really hot out consider an external or foley collection device. Ask your doctor for their advice and help. There are ones for both men and women now so that’s a plus. Good luck. Hope this helps.

@Sci_Fi_Fan I'm a very sweaty chap even when it isn't too hot. I use the textile briefs with tight boxers over the top to cope with the sag that seems to come with the textile backed products. Even with this arrangement, I can get quite damp between the tops of my legs and groin. I really must drop a few pounds! Cheers Phil

I wear the Abena Abriform L4 plastic-backed diapers and they make little to no noise yes the crinkle a little when you touch them or rub them they will crinkle but the plastic that is used now is a lot quieter than diapers of the past some of them are noisier than others but nothing, like they used to be I remember back in the 70's diapers like Pampers were very noisy I used to hang out at a friends house a lot and when is neighbor Ken would stop by Kens 5-year-old son Kenny was diapered every step and move Kenny made you could clearly hear the plastic crinkling and of course every time, Kenny would bend over the waistline of his diaper would clearly hang out over the top of his pants it was definitely a different plastic on those diapers

JC1471 said:

physlink said:
@Sci_Fi_Fan I'm a very sweaty chap even when it isn't too hot. I use the textile briefs with tight boxers over the top to cope with the sag that seems to come with the textile backed products. Even with this arrangement, I can get quite damp between the tops of my legs and groin. I really must drop a few pounds! Cheers Phil

It’s certainly motivating me to stay home for a while. I’m kind of at the extra holiday weight needs to go visit Santa now instead of me feeling like Santa🙂

Thanks for the advice, I'll probably add some cloth-backed products back into the mix in the warm weather. I've found that changing regularly has meant that my skin is fine but I am getting through more products.

How about trying a onesie or bodysuit which is 100% cotton. I'm not sure whether a loose or tight fitting one will make a difference to sweating but I'm sure it will absorb most of the moisture?

I'm a diabetic so I sweat profusely during the day and I always wear a large white vest over me and this always helps to keep the moisture away from top clothes.

Yeah, I have seen onesies mentioned as a solution for various nappy-related issues such as peaking above clothes. I can see that they'd be helpful for keeping sweat away from trousers (I can relate to the comments that the sweating can be as big an issue as the incontinence for keeping clothes clean). I don't think I'm quite ready to take the plunge though.

I've been looking for the most absorbent pull-ups and the Abena Abri-Flex seem like they'd be absorbent enough for any leakage when out and about.

Onesies work well for some people. I have urge incontinence, so I often make it to the bathroom in time (except work I don't, of course) but I often have little time to spare. Having to go in a stall and pull my pants down far enough to unsnap a onesie would probably lead to more accidents - I already have accidents where I literally start leaking as I'm getting my pants open.

I may give cloth-backed briefs another try, but plan to change then more often whether they're wet or not to deal with the sagging problems. They're definitely more comfortable in hot weather than plastic backed.

I used to work about noise from plastic backed briefs, but it's been such a non-issue that I don't even think about it anymore. Once I've got Juan's or cargo pants on, there's almost no noise, and when if there were a slight rustle it wouldn't be noticeable to anyone but me.

OT: Reminds me of the story of the cowboy who rode into town wearing chaps and a vest made from brown paper grocery bags. They arrested him for rustling.)

I've learned over the years sweating is inevitable and changing more frequent and wearing cooler clothes is what helps me the most.
I wear board shorts during the summer with LT (large tall) t-shirts that cover enough of the shorts so no one notices anything and it much more manageable.
Hope this helps.