Coping with bedwetting

Archives1

Staff member
Hi
I have been an on and off bedwetter for all my life. I was late out of night time nappies at around 6, I then had infrequent wet tings through childhood - these became worse around my parents divorce at 11 and again at 16 during my exams. After 11 I kept it secret, allowing my bed to dry out on its own, making my own nappies, etc. At 18 I decided to buy my own nappies - Boots Staydry and have used nappies at night on and off ever since - Tena, Attends, etc. It has often been a struggle and especially on sleepovers, holidays with friends, business trips and ever more especially when I met my wife to be. For the first few years, whenever I had an accident at night I blamed it on night sweats. Over the years I have ‘come clean’ and explained my issues - always brought on by stress / anxiety in my life. I now wear adult pull up nappies - Tena for men - every night as it is more frequent than not. This is just the way it is and part of life. We accept it and don’t worry about it. I could never however share this with friends for fear of what they might think - even though with 1 in 50 of the population a bedwetter, surely there I have met other bedwetter a without knowing it!! I had all the usual medical examinations but without any particular findings do now just get on with it. Not nice, not fair, but the way it is. My only wish / hope now is that somehow we can de-demonise bedwetting / the need to wear nappies to bed. With roughly 1 in every 25 households housing a bedwetter, they’re one on every street for sure - how can we raise awareness, make an environment that allows openness and sharing in the outside world, and a general acceptance of the condition much in the same way as we have for asthma for example - no judgements, no embarrassment, no believing it is something only children suffer with, no ridicule! How do we ‘’get it out there’ and allow us bedwetters to breath again? Hiding pull up nappies at the bottom
If the supermarket trolly, praying no one seas me as they make their way down the cashier’s converter belt, hoping the cashier doesn’t judge me / think I’m weird. Or alternatively, hoping the postman doesn’t realise what’s in the regular monthly parcel and think the the same of me. Hiding the packets of pull up nappies at the back of the wardrobe, or at the bottom of the suitcase. Trying to dispose of the used pull ups when at friends, on holiday, etc. What do we have to hide?! When can we be upfront without fear? When can we feel normal? I don’t know how - but surely there’s a way. 1 in 50 of us are praying for this. Please let it happen soon.

@Simon hi Simon, good to see another UK chap here. My problems are usually during the day as a result of prostate and bladder surgery. BTW, I'm 57, married and have a grown-up son. Cheers Phil

@Simon Why don't you start up a web site and advertise a safe space for fellow sufferers?

I am aware there is ERIC here in the UK and a few which are for general bladder and bowel incontinence but why don't you start something specific for people to turn to?

Thank you for your reply- it’s not a bad idea setting up a website. Not sure where to start but hey! Trouble is though, it will only attract like minded individuals. I guess I’m really wishing for open media conversations to bring the issue out of the closet. A bedwetter awareness day for example.

That’s a great idea LaaLaa!
Simon, go for it. For most folks with bladder and/or bowel issues we all want a place to feel like we are part of something special. Sort of like here🙂
I am greatly appreciative of Our Community and Friends and relationships here. Everyone needs a place they can just be open, honest and share when things just get to be too much some days.
So many caring folks and companies that make this a great place.
Thank you all for all you do to keep it great for everyone.
God Bless each of you,
Jim

@Simon Rome wasn't built in one day. Baby steps. One of the pages in your site could include promoting awareness, advertise asking for money donations to buy protection for people who can not afford to buy it for themselves, look for places to hold a stand somewhere like a crowded shopping centre and form a charity. It is a lot to consider but with friends who are likeminded, they will help.

totally get what OP stated.. I started hiding my issue around 11/12 years old as well but never really stopped and was able to hide it. I also wet due to stress/anxiety/sleep deprivation issues so although I dont wish it on anyone, it is nice to know it's not unique to just me. thanks for the post.

@JC1471 I often wet myself during the day and the bed at night. I also hid it if I could. I think that there will be quite a few here with a similar background, Phil

Can we champion the adult nappy manufacturers to take up out baton? I read all the time that there are potentially double the amount of adult bedwetters than the stats currently reported - that’s 4%. A massive 1 in 25 of all adults - this additional 2% do not seek help nor find their way to the most appropriate protection. Without the stigma associated with bedwetting they may well feel more inclined. This would of course increase sales for the nappy manufacturers - it is therefore in their interests to promote grater awareness, greater acceptance, and in turn normalising thy e condition. How refreshing it would be to sit with your mates in the pub discussing your issues - freely sharing your troubles with asthma, hayfever, migraines, short-sightedness, .... and bedwetting.
To do this I implore the manufacturers to use their powers to promote, promote and promote - it will pay dividends for us all.

Hi JC - there’s soooooo many of us adult bedwetters. I’m sure many with similar backgrounds and experiences.
I’m also sure we all crave our hidden stigma to be normalised so we can just get on with our lives without the fear of being found out or ridiculed.
My friends share their health issues - but I cannot / am scared to share mine. How refreshing it would be to be open, and happy to do so

It’s okay Simon. Sometimes we have to use discretion depending on who we are with.
At least here you are in similar company who understands. That’s the best part of support groups. You can be open and honest.
Love reading everyone’s posts and just wanted to say thank you all for making this website excellent.
Jim

Incontinence and bedwetting are such a personal condition to live with and thank everyone here that we can share our thoughts and experiences and wishes in this forum. It's easier to "talk" about intimate things here as we are shielded by our screens and I find talking to staff about incontinence is so much more difficult so a big thank you to everyone here.

I agree with everything you said, but it's tough to get out to the generic public. NS has been doing this for some time through articles and social media. They even had a great banner ad that had "hip" clothes paired with a blue diaper.

I think the problem is that folks like us consume this type of media and it doesn't make it very far into the general public.

I think you should set up a site if you want to try and change things. There are plenty of resources out there to start for free. You could also do a little learning and write one yourself. A domain is pretty cheap.

I’ve commented on Northshore’s Instagram probably once or twice. They only follow abdl people and that seems to be the only people that comment on their social media. It’s sad. I don’t want to be associated with those people. That’s one of the main reasons I don’t speak up.