A few questions in one.

The global entry is only $15 more (for 5 years) than the base TSA pass, which is why I said it is a great deal (if you are going to get the base TSA pass which is $85 for 5 years). So for someone who flies, $3/year more for the global entry is a good deal.

I fly for work every week. I used to have issues, with certain agents at larger airports going as far as demanding I remove the brief for them to scan and then put a fresh one on after they clear me (and trash the one they scan). That's happened 3 times. Each time I followed up with a very stern and legal complaint to TSA cares from 2016-2018.

Since 2020, they seem to have improved their new-hire training to better address these issues. Since then I've never had to subject myself to exposing my brief, whereas previous encounters required me to drop trousers for a hands-on invasion of privacy. Both dry and wet.

Last week my flight was delayed several hours, and I had already used the spare in my bag. Then had to exit the terminal to retrieve my checked medical assistive device (free, by the way, for things from CPAPS to diapers with every US carrier) from baggage claim before going thru TSA again.

I reenter pretty soaked, in a rush to get back to my gate for boarding - only to be patted down in private very respectfully by the agent. Whom I apologized to based on the condition of my brief at the time, and explained my situation with sincere reception and understanding.

Considering the TSA Agent turnover, I'm surprised they can get them trained at all. I don't know about the rest of you, but this made me wince - and that's the lessor emotions it raises.
Is it any wonder many people think the behavior of TSA agents is just a petty exercise of self-perceived power for personal gratification? I really don't think it's a majority, but I'll bet most of us have experienced it or seen it. Not a very rewarding job, to say the least. What percent got laid off during this pandemic?
Any statistics on how many guns or bombs they've found in a diaper?

AlasSouth said:
Considering the TSA Agent turnover, I'm surprised they can get them trained at all. I don't know about the rest of you, but this made me wince - and that's the lessor emotions it raises.
Is it any wonder many people think the behavior of TSA agents is just a petty exercise of self-perceived power for personal gratification? I really don't think it's a majority, but I'll bet most of us have experienced it or seen it. Not a very rewarding job, to say the least. What percent got laid off during this pandemic?
Any statistics on how many guns or bombs they've found in a diaper?
There was the notorious case of the "underwear bomber" who struck (or tried to) on Christmas day 2009.
He didn't manage to bring down a plane, but he certainly made life difficult for people who have to travel with incontinence.

Hi @Phil6003, I do remember that incident, kind of a step-up from the notorious shoe bomber about 8 years earlier. And you're spot-on in that the underwear bomber definitely did make life needlessly more difficult for people with incontinence who travel.

As someone who used to fly a great deal before Covid, I always remembered that the TSA was there to keep me alive. I must say in the beginning there were many issues with TSA, but it seemed to get better as time went on. I tried to treat them with respect and they usually returned the favor (not always, but they seemed to appreciate my attitude most of the time).

Phil6003: Wow. I'd completely forgotten that. Seems like it takes only 1 to screw it up for everyone. You are sure right.
Like that Chicago death/blackmail guy who put poison in, was it tylenol?, and then put it the back on shelves for someone to buy. I think he killed about 8, before being caught.
That's why we have "adult proof" packaging. I hate that packaging, and him. I don't know if he died recently, or finally got out of jail, but he was in the news, recently. I hope he didn't get out.
Think about all the waste of that packaging. Not environmentally good. Some handicapped people can't open "adult proof". Ask the cashier to start it for you when you check out. Many will.
I don't know if I hate TSA, but I sure don't like going through the process. I don't want a bomber or a gun-totting nut-case, either, but! Actually, I'm handicapped and, believe it or not, it seem to help, and they ask if I can walk enough and move enough, to go through the people-scanner, they provide a wooden cane and x-ray my metal one. So it's a mixed bag. The airport guy who pushes the wheel chair, when I can't handle walking with my cane, is always polite and helpful, but he isn't TSA. TSA knows them, and that may help, maybe.
Billliveshere: You reminded me of that, too. That's why we have to take off our shoes and walk on sock feet on extremely dirty/germy floor/carpet. I love him too. Not! People have everything on their shoes soles, most of it probably bad.
Guess I spoke out of turn, so my apologies. That doesn't mean I like going through the process, or dealing with the minority of bad TSA agents. I believe I've seen agents who blew the investigation, and sometimes it hits the news, too. That seems to make TSA improve training, some.