A few questions in one.

Archives1

Staff member
Can you take a "diaper" bag thru TSA security for yourself because of your incontinence? Will TSA be able to see your diapers thru the body scanner? Will TSA take you to another room to strip search you if they see you wearing a diaper and suspect something since you are in fact wearing a diaper?

Interesting to see answers since I haven't flown yet in this condition. Search is done for a reason. Not sure wearing a diaper qualifies. I guess unless it blocks view of scanner.

It depends upon which scanner you are going through. However, my experience with TSA agents has always been a case of: If you treat them with respect and are honest with them they will treat you with respect. One agent was giving me a full putdown and I made a joke about it and he seemed relieved that I was acknowledging his discomfort. Curious to see if others have had the same experience.

Taking your "diaper bag" through security is no problem. I have gone through TSA body scanners numerous times wearing a DRY Depends pull-up and never had a problem. I just change right before I go through security. I have heard of instances where people have been called aside if their protection is wet.

I agree with Oakie. Gone through TSA numerous time without issue. If you are called out for additional screening just ask for a private screening and tell the TSA agent you have a medical condition that requires you to wear additional protection.

I’ve been stopped many times for a full search. I tell them I have a Depends on and a pad. They check me out in the open, but give me the option to go behind the curtain. My Depends are never wet when I go through the X-ray machine, I only wear it in case.

There is comment and debate and info on exactly this issue on here. Try a search, maybe of "TSA".
I don't remember seeing any issues with the airlines, except one on changing on the flight & a suspicious Flight Attendant. What caught her attention was bulge of full diaper and lack of same when he came out of toilet. But only flight problem I've seen.
Probably most TSA people have seen this issue several times a day - or a hundred.
Like CPAP machines. Mine never gets questioned, any more; they did when first came out. Put on belt, it goes through.
I had to fire off my portable computer when they were "new" to TSA - no longer.
I don't know how they do it, but I have a lot of metal. It no longer attracts their attention, & I don't see it on the "full body image"
Good luck, and welcome to this forum. You are in the right place.

There is a notification card that TSA provides for those with disabilities and medical conditions. You can down load it from their site, and indicate your condition. I haven't had the occasion to use it yet,
but I have the notice. I printed it ,and glued it to a post card stock material. I carry it with with me at all time, so I never forget that I have it. Hopefully, I never have to provide it, but I have it just in case.

Cool, Damp. I should have thunk of that. Going looking for it. Card stock great idea.
Card stock should work with my med list, which I shrink down to credit card size, but have to fold over, as it is too log.

I would think that the TSA is now familiar with the fact that quite a few people passing through their checkpoints wear some sort of incontinence protection so it really shouldn't be a big huge surprise to them in this day and age. People using wheelchairs travel through those checkpoints at literally any airport not only in the U.S. but around the world. So having diapers on should not be something that raises eyebrows on the other side of the checkpoints. But isn't it nice that there are things we can wear so we can travel just like anybody else???? Now if we could only get a handle on this damned covid for once and for all.......
So, just roll up your sleeve, get your shot and don't worry about what you're wearing underneath!!!!! And be good to go!!!

This forum is sooooooo informative! I'm about to take my first flight since having to add diapers and pads to my life. Thank you, all.

There are a lot of good comments, but I'll go ahead and add mine.

I flew at the beginning of June without any kind of trouble. I had a few diapers packed in my backpack and wore one through the imaging machine. I was prepared for some kind of pat down but nobody said a word. I have heard that a wet diaper may trigger the scanning machines more frequently than a dry one. Good news is that you're far from the only who's needed to wear a diaper on a plane!

There have been nightmare stories here of what people have experienced with TSA strip searches, both those walking, and those in wheelchairs. Use the search function here on the forum for “TSA.” Made me positive I will ***NEVER*** go through a detector while wearing a diaper. I already hate them enough and major panic attacks any time I see them or a cop.

Hi @snow, and anyone else reading this, if you are facing a trip that absolutely requires flying, I think the thing to do may be to go right "upstairs" here to @fleemoore and download that TSA card.
I can't say it will be an iron-clad guarantee that you won't ever be stopped if you're wearing a diaper while going through a checkpoint, but at least it's a "tool" that you can show if you feel that you may be challenged by someone like the TSA. Just have the card handy and, as I like to say, expect the worst but hope for the best!!
I think it's better than nothing!
But for virtually all of us, a diaper or other protective undergarment is necessary for those times when we have our inadvertent losses of control.
And also right "upstairs," I mentioned that people with all sorts of disabilities and physical conditions do travel through all airports literally every day of the year so someone in a diaper shouldn't raise any eyebrows while passing through the checkpoint. And if it does still, after all this time, does raise TSA eyebrows, then shame on them!!!
If that prospect is still intimidating, then we all remember the slogan to "go🚍 Greyhound and leave the driving to us!!!"

Good! I really hope it helps and will smooth the way for you!! If not, then you've probably caught the TSA on a😮 bad hair day!!!

I flew a ton before the pandemic and it's best to keep your medication handy so when asked you can quickly show them your medication, mine states on the bottle of Oxybutynin "take three tablets for bladder" and it will be over with the TSA before it begins.
Changing just before you go through the line is also good advise but the absolute best is to get Global Entry so you don't have to deal with any of that stuff for the most part.

My wife and I got Global Entry several years ago when we were going to Europe. It's a great thing to have. You can breeze right through baggage check.